When will Bars reopen???

35 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Come on... all humans believe the rules don't apply to themselves to a certain extent.

The only difference is the elite usually get away with it due to systemic bias towards them.

No, there is certainly very often a 'holier than thou' aspect to the behaviour of those who believe themselves to be the anointed; by position or by power, or by birth. You don't believe that power corrupts? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Denim said:

Until somebody can guarantee that there will be no more variants and that the vaccines currently being given will continue to be effective against anything new , then a return to pre covid normality seems a long way off.

Which of Western vaccines has not proved to be effective against all the variants so far?

13 hours ago, Denim said:

I never thought a year ago I would think this but the last month has eroded my previous optimism .

Watch less television.

The focus on variants is a narrative pushed by Western governments to nudge their populations into not jumping the gun and getting too relaxed as the good weather arrives and the vaccine drive seems to have worked. They need people to remain careful until everyone can be vaccinated. They also want to keep up the pressure so that even the vaccine hesitant will feel the need to go ahead and get it done.

None of this is hidden. The management of public perceptions has been a core element of government responses worldwide. Billions of dollars have been spent on messaging. The variants are real, but the constant focus on them is a strategy.

• Like 2

You can tell by the number of reports of 'illegal' drinking activities that those of us that enjoy a drink with a meal, or simply a drink and conversation with friends are growing in number. I suspect the number of busts are the tip of the iceberg considering those that don't congregate in large numbers or stay out late.

At some point there will be a mass non-compliance with the law, much like the laws on motoring here in los.  I personally don't know how long  it took for the vast majority of road users here to completely ignore any rules but hopefully with this ridiculous singling out of a drink ( out in the open ) it will be quicker.

After all the threat of gaol isn't going to work, they're letting vast number out. Wonderful times.

Edited by DaLa
Spelling mistake.

14 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Well as soon as the government stops its hatred of the demon drink or when all the bars are bankrupt.  I am betting on the latter one. 

Not just the bars. Our (Thai wife and Brit)  have a business here for 9 years and it's totally unrelated to tourism, in fact I doubt you could find a more polar opposite.  We dipped a large amount in trade last year due to being unable to travel and secure new stock.  This year will be another dip due to inability to travel and regulations in the countries of our suppliers.  However there has also been a marked reduction in customers here ( 100% Thai) due to closure of some of the stores we have units in and also the reluctance of people to come out shopping.

The large supermarkets will survive, hospitals, government agencies and essential services will survive but the longer this goes on that 20 % (or whatever figure you prefer) from tourism starts to filter down to more than just the pretties in the bars.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Heck we can’t even get pool open and you want bars 

Priorities .......ahahaaa The nice thing about where I'm at is I can go to the beach, hang out, drink beer, go swimming, drink beer, hang out.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Not just the bars. Our (Thai wife and Brit)  have a business here for 9 years and it's totally unrelated to tourism, in fact I doubt you could find a more polar opposite.  We dipped a large amount in trade last year due to being unable to

You are absolutely correct.  The bars may be the most impacted since their business is 100% closed but all businesses will be impacted.  Many people who own tourism related businesses are either closed or impacted and their employees have lost their jobs or seen their income drop. 

That means they don't have the same income to buy clothing, groceries, new cars, new appliances, refurbish their home etc.  That multiplier effect of money moving through the economy means that every single business will be impacted.  Some to a greater degree.  People with money spend it.  That money circulates throughout the economy helping all businesses and putting people to work.  The waitress who works for tips now does not have that money to spend on clothing, or appliances.  That tour boat operator now does not have money to buy that new car, or new television. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stocky said:

Is there a set date for this current Covid wave to end?

No, so likewise equally obviously there is no "date set yet to reopen" bars.

Most likely, according to my personal testing,  October 2029.????  

16 hours ago, robblok said:

Not exactly till enough people are vaccinated we need to keep it under control. This level is ablut the max as more then this and health care cannot cope. 

So we just have to be patient. Right now the risk is not too bad if healthcare cant cope its a different story.

Health care seems to have no problems coping with the thousands of flu and pneumonia patients each year, !

Number of covid victims in comparison ? 

Every body does not get vaccinated for the flu and pneumonia either , yet no worries or lockdowns .

4 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Health care seems to have no problems coping with the thousands of flu and pneumonia patients each year, !

Number of covid victims in comparison ? 

Every body does not get vaccinated for the flu and pneumonia either , yet no worries or lockdowns .

Just look at Brazil and India for example. Italy had problems too Your a probably a denier hard to argue with those they live in their own lil world

20 hours ago, robblok said:

I think this is the new normal for Thailand, until people are all vaccinated. 

It makes life a bit boring (i don't miss the bars but other stuff). But it is how it is can't moan too much about it.

There are some plans to open up Phuket and even Pattaya but also these plans are dependent on the vaccination rate. I think everyone has seen how the Thai government is messing that up so those plans might also not happen.

I hope im wrong but i think it can take a long time think end of this year before things will open up more.

I am pretty sure the government would want nothing more then to open up because this is costing them a lot of popularity and they are losing loads of money. So the moment they think they can get away with it they will open up.

Your last paragraph Rob, do you really think that the unelected "PM" or his sidekick Anutin whatever are losing any money on a personal level? I would bet their offshore accounts are as healthy as ever.

I can't see any incentive for this illegal government to open anything up, they don't like farangs in any shape or form, they were losing tourists and expats way before this Chinese virus even started.

• Like 2

Just now, possum1931 said:

Your last paragraph Rob, do you really think that the unelected "PM" or his sidekick Anutin whatever are losing any money on a personal level? I would bet their offshore accounts are as healthy as ever.

I can't see any incentive for this illegal government to open anything up, they don't like farangs in any shape or form, they were losing tourists and expats way before this Chinese virus even started.

Don't forget the new 500Bbht loan to share out between the trough feeders.

I'm thinking COVID is making them a lot of money.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ripstanley said:

A very long time. Vaccinations will be a long time and who says they will work.

According to reports, they are certainly working in the UK and US, but obviously the unelected "PM" will want to keep money for his submarines and space programme by getting the cheapest vaccines. and not so much the ones getting used in the UK and US.

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

The fact that other countries are also closing certain establishments only proves that the idiotic thinking is not confined to Thailand.  

Again, I went yesterday to the Jomtien Night Market and I was surrounded by people.  I went to Home Pro and Big C and was surrounded by people.  I had lunch at the Black Canyon Cafe and was surrounded by people.  We stopped at a Swensens and sat while we enjoyed an ice cream. 

However all of those activities are permitted.  It is only the bars that somehow can spread Covid.  More ridiculous is that I can dine at a restaurant remove my mask, and take a drink from my glass or bottle of water.  At the same restaurant, I can not take a drink if that drink is is bottle of beer or glass of wine.  You give the pretense that somehow it is more difficult to control people inside a small bar.  Have you been to the meat counter at Makro recently. Do you see anyone trying to control the social distancing as the people at times are shoulder to shoulder selecting their meat from the coolers. 

But don't let this common sense get in your way of trying to justify your preconceived bias that somehow the serving of alcohol somehow is more risky.  

This is a picture I took yesterday on the second floor outside the Big C Extra in Na Kleu
Now please tell me how this activity fully permitted is somehow less prone to spread Covid than allowing people to either dine and have an alcoholic beverage or sip a beer inside a bar. These patrons not only are close to each other but exposed to hundreds of people as they pass by them inside the mall on their way to Big C, Home Pro or any of the other second floor locations. 

Bar.jpg

me and the wife walked down by the beach and were flabbergasted to 

sea people being arrested for sitting on the beach in a group, and then 

they placed them (about 16) in a police truck ? they were more crowded 

in the truck than they were on the beach??? This was last year and maybe they have learned but i wonder if a police man would question

their methods, i have made the mistake of asking Thai people for directions when not sure when driving, most will tell you anything rather than admit they do not know....TIT.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just look at Brazil and India for example. Italy had problems too Your a probably a denier hard to argue with those they live in their own lil world

Thanks for a rather pointless and silly answer

Ahh, that magic word  "denier" that people like to spout off with, when anybody dares to ask questions that they cannot answer

Have i ever denied that this :deadly" virus exists 

Did these countries allow you to drink and eat, but only soft drinks, not beer ?

But i thought this was Thai Visa, not Brazil or India visa 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zoza said:

It is ridiculous.  Certainly if those photos of people sitting on a beach in Thailand being arrested make it to the internet, which I suspect they will, It will do more to damage any push by TAT to encourage tourism. 

I can see it all now and poster in the airports.  Come to Thailand - The Land of Smiles.  Enjoy the gorgeous scenery and beautiful beaches.  Experience the warmth of the Thai Police and experience a tour of the area in a police wagon as you are arrested for sitting on those beaches. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honest top goodness, my mind boggles at the amount of people asking for certainty in the world of uncertainty.

The data which needs to be analysed by scientists in Thailand is not yet available. When it is available a recommendation will be made. We do not not yet what the recommendation will be and we don't know the date when it will be announced. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, zoza said:

me and the wife walked down by the beach and were flabbergasted to 

in the truck than they were on the beach??? This was last year and maybe they have learned but i wonder if a police man would question

their methods, i have made the mistake of asking Thai people for directions when not sure when driving, most will tell you anything rather than admit they do not know....TIT.

Most Thais could see nothing wrong with your scenario. 

A bit of a funny question ? How long is a bit of string ?

As a person directly involved in this dilemna I see no chance for at least 3 months 

If not open before the end of the year I will throw in the towel as our rent is still 70% of normal. There must be many bar owners in greater trouble than me

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

According to reports, they are certainly working in the UK and US, but obviously the unelected "PM" will want to keep money for his submarines and space programme by getting the cheapest vaccines. and not so much the ones getting used in the UK and US.

Sounds good, buy the submarines to quarantine the infected or new arrival of tourists. 55555 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, natway09 said:

A bit of a funny question ? How long is a bit of string ?

As a person directly involved in this dilemna I see no chance for at least 3 months 

If not open before the end of the year I will throw in the towel as our rent is still 70% of normal. There must be many bar owners in greater trouble than me

As previously noted we are not bar owners , but 70-80,000 per month in loans and rent take a lot of sales to cover. That's not happening presently and another 3 months on top of the last 15 months is going to take years to recover from.

Too late to throw in the towel, should have done a  Sonny Liston and given up at the end of the 6th round.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Priorities .......ahahaaa The nice thing about where I'm at is I can go to the beach, hang out, drink beer, go swimming, drink beer, hang out.

I can too but I not drink but have private beach to go to 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I predict bars, places of entertainment, swimming pools, countries, borders, flights, etc. will be randomly opened/closed/cancelled with no notice for the next 5-10 years or longer, despite mandatory random experimental vaccinations every 6 months.

Book a holiday, expect your home country or the destination country to cancel it at random.

On holiday, expect your return home to be cancelled at random by the air company, or your home country.

Enjoy the rest of your life!

I reckon your not too far off the mark mate. The foot looks like it's never coming off the brakes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Wow is right, but not because of @BritManToo post...rather because It's EXACTLY what's been going on around the globe for more than a year with no end...or very vague and random ends...in sight. 

It's well over a year now and you got places like Australia saying border openings will have nothing to do with vaccination rollouts ...meanwhile Victoria goes into another 7 day lockdown and every state in Australia closes their border to them for a handful of cases. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Speedhump said:

You don't believe that power corrupts? 

I believe the seed of corruption resides in virtually all of us. Power only affects our ability to exersise it.

Tell me honestly that you wouldn't correct or erase something from your life, or that of a loved one, at some point in your life, if you could do it or have done it consequence-free?