Bank Of America doing away with the SafePass Card

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

I coordinate on skype with a person back home whose number is listed to receive my code. I receive my code and continue on with my online banking. I've been doing this for as long as the west went to this double level security feature and it hasn't failed me yet. The code is useless to anyone that doesn't have your PW besides being time sensitive. The cost was $0

Good for you ! I have two adult children back in the states that receive my mail ,between the two of them it took 3 months to have them send me a new credit card that was sent to one of their addresses  i

Another words they are useless and selfish !

1 minute ago, riclag said:

Good for you ! I have two adult children back in the states that receive my mail ,between the two of them it took 3 months to have them send me a new credit card that was sent to one of their addresses  i

Another words they are useless and selfish !

cut em' outta the will! My bank sent me my cc directly this year and although it took a month I got it. Rules are different in the US I believe.

31 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

cut em' outta the will! My bank sent me my cc directly this year and although it took a month I got it. Rules are different in the US I believe.

Yes they are different 

Edited by riclag

• 2 weeks later...

Got two of those USB  security keys and  it was  a snap to set them up. One primary key and one back up. Been using for about a week now. Very easy and secure. Got them on amazon because cheaper than lazada , 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Got two of those USB  security keys and  it was  a snap to set them up. One primary key and one back up. Been using for about a week now. Very easy and secure. Got them on amazon because cheaper than lazada , 

OH wow! Which brand did you get ! Can you give more details ! Much appreciated ! 

Did you set up just your computer with one ? Do you need one for your smart phone to?

I bought a YubiKey 5 NFC (USB A) here, on Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/yubikey-5-nfc-yubico-account-binance-gmail-youtube-microsoft-facebook-anb-smart-tech-fido2-u2f-i2114018913-s7100922271.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.69d6218bUNYpRb&search=1&freeshipping=1

from that store.

I've started using it for quite a few 2FA requirements, in a word, brilliant.

Get the one that will work with your PC - you can get a mini-hub/dongle if you don't have USB-A or C, or NFC.

Some recommend having a second key as a back-up.

If the key has NFC, and your phone does to then it will work.

You should purchase any future mobile phone that has NFC. This tends to be a mid-tier and up sort of feature.

I have not started using it for BofA, they said "by August".

I am certain that one can also use SafePass 2FA with a U.S. mobile and SMS. I have been using 2FA at BofA - enabled for anything, including log-on - and my GV number for quite a while. I also have Talkatone, T-Mo and UltraMobile as back-up. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2021 at 2:41 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

Of course, many laptops no longer have USB ports. If BofA wants you to use one, THEY should pay for it!

Yeah, good luck with that.

I think they are going to credit accounts for $19.99 for the money spent on a SafePass card - mine died ages ago.

From the email:

If you have a current SafePass Card and paid the $19.99 fee, a refund of this amount will be deposited into your account by November 15, 2021.

I would urge caution importing these from outside of Thailand. My guess is that they are illegal, or would require some sort of registration, both for encryption/security reasons, and radio (NFC) reasons. Plenty of recent posts about Thai Customs clamping down on tech: phones, drones, streaming boxes, etc.

Will they get through? Probably. 

I didn't want the hassle, just accepted I'll pay a premium and let someone else assume that risk.

If/when I go back I'll buy more of these, incl a Google version.  https://store.google.com/us/product/titan_security_key?hl=en-US

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah, good luck with that.

I think they are going to credit accounts for $19.99 for the money spent on a SafePass card - mine died ages ago.

From the email:

If you have a current SafePass Card and paid the $19.99 fee, a refund of this amount will be deposited into your account by November 15, 2021.

I would urge caution importing these from outside of Thailand. My guess is that they are illegal, or would require some sort of registration, both for encryption/security reasons, and radio (NFC) reasons. Plenty of recent posts about Thai Customs clamping down on tech: phones, drones, streaming boxes, etc.

Will they get through? Probably. 

I didn't want the hassle, just accepted I'll pay a premium and let someone else assume that risk.

If/when I go back I'll buy more of these, incl a Google version.  https://store.google.com/us/product/titan_security_key?hl=en-US

Did you register your Yubi yet with BofA ?You can you know.

I 'm curious .

I'm not familiar with NFC !  

Can you use this Yubi that you bought  with your smart phone ? 

11 minutes ago, riclag said:

Did you register your Yubi yet with BofA ?

No, I have not. Yes, I know you can register a key now.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/security-center/online-mobile-banking-privacy/usb-security-key/

14 minutes ago, riclag said:

Yes.

I needed to install the Yubico Authenticator app.

Look for 'NFC' in the key's specs or description.

17 minutes ago, riclag said:

I'm not familiar with NFC !  

Does your phone support NFC? 

Maybe watch some YouTube videos? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I bought a YubiKey 5 NFC (USB A) here, on Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/yubikey-5-nfc-yubico-account-binance-gmail-youtube-microsoft-facebook-anb-smart-tech-fido2-u2f-i2114018913-s7100922271.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.69d6218bUNYpRb&search=1&freeshipping=1

from that store.

I've started using it for quite a few 2FA requirements, in a word, brilliant.

Get the one that will work with your PC - you can get a mini-hub/dongle if you don't have USB-A or C, or NFC.

Some recommend having a second key as a back-up.

If the key has NFC, and your phone does to then it will work.

You should purchase any future mobile phone that has NFC. This tends to be a mid-tier and up sort of feature.

I have not started using it for BofA, they said "by August".

I am certain that one can also use SafePass 2FA with a U.S. mobile and SMS. I have been using 2FA at BofA - enabled for anything, including log-on - and my GV number for quite a while. I also have Talkatone, T-Mo and UltraMobile as back-up. 

I bought one! The ad got me on  "only 2 left"  come on 555.

Yubico sells them for $45 in the USA  plus a additional fee for shipping and customs ! Looks like a good deal !

When I get it ,I'll register it and comment here !

Edited by riclag

I registered my key with BofA; simple, easy, works.

I needed to receive an SMS with a code, also had to enter my ATM card's PIN, to process the key registration but that's because I have 2FA turned on for log-in. You are directed to log-in when you start the key registration process.

You may just need to enter the ATM card PIN? That's a guess. Or maybe nothing.

Have you been using your SafePass card? You make transfers out, at more than $1,000? Maybe you're using 'Wise? 

Otherwise you may not need a key, unless you want to apply 2FA to log-in?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I registered my key with BofA; simple, easy, works.

I needed to receive an SMS with a code, also had to enter my ATM card's PIN, to process the key registration but that's because I have 2FA turned on for log-in. You are directed to log-in when you start the key registration process.

You may just need to enter the ATM card PIN? That's a guess. Or maybe nothing.

Have you been using your SafePass card? You make transfers out, at more than $1,000? Maybe you're using 'Wise? 

Otherwise you may not need a key, unless you want to apply 2FA to log-in?

I have 4 or 5 options to transfer money  here!

To get money here ,I  usually use my external bank accounts (schwab,wise,or capitalone,  to  request a transfer out from BofA . I set up  schwab on a monthly basis to withdraw money from Bof A and then go to the ATM several times.

On occasion, last April, when my kids needed to borrow money I used the safepass card or had a code sent to my USA phone#, when Google voice wasn't sending the code !

My biggest concern is the android flip phone I have with a USA number,that I use to receive txt codes ! I dread the day it stops working !  

8 hours ago, riclag said:

My biggest concern is the android flip phone I have with a USA number,that I use to receive txt codes ! I dread the day it stops working !  

Which service provider? 

Pre-paid?

What is the phone make and model?

Are you locked into some contract?

Does this phone have a SIM card?

I've got to think this uses a SIM card, and that you are roaming here.

If so, just put the SIM in any phone here. 

You could also port that number out to another service provider, recommend UltraMobile, at $3/month, and with their WiFi Calling option, you can receive texts (send also, make/receive calls).

Or just get a new UM number, activate it (in the U.S.) then have it mailed to you. Then add that new number to your BofA and other SMS2FA lists.

You could even port out to Google Voice, and then anyone will still see this as a mobile number.

8 hours ago, riclag said:

when Google voice wasn't sending the code !

So you have a GV number? That should work, but configuration and use can be tricky to correctly set-up.

I would also get a free Talkatone number, and add that to your BofA SMS verification list. Both GV and Talkatone work for me. I use GV with BofA constantly, my only foreign currency fee exempt card is with BofA.

23 hours ago, riclag said:

OH wow! Which brand did you get ! Can you give more details ! Much appreciated ! 

Did you set up just your computer with one ? Do you need one for your smart phone to?

Amazon.com: Yubico the one I got Yubico FIDO Security Key NFC - Two Factor Authentication USB and NFC Security Key, Fits USB-A Ports and Works with Supported NFC Mobile Devices – FIDO U2F and FIDO2 Certified - More Than a Password Cost $24.50 before shipping and tax. Comes with instructions how to set up  on Win 10 and then the bank web site under two factor sign in tells you how to set for banking use.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Amazon.com: Yubico the one I got Yubico FIDO Security Key NFC - Two Factor Authentication USB and NFC Security Key, Fits USB-A Ports and Works with Supported NFC Mobile Devices – FIDO U2F and FIDO2 Certified - More Than a Password Cost $24.50 before shipping and tax. Comes with instructions how to set up  on Win 10 and then the bank web site under two factor sign in tells you how to set for banking use.

Hre is the bank web site to register once you have it set up in Windows/  USB Security Key (bankofamerica.com)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, riclag said:

Just following up...I need to hold the key flush to the back of my phone, close to the top, before the authenticator app recognizes it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Which service provider? 

Pre-paid?

What is the phone make and model?

Are you locked into some contract?

Does this phone have a SIM card?

I've got to think this uses a SIM card, and that you are roaming here.

If so, just put the SIM in any phone here. 

You could also port that number out to another service provider, recommend UltraMobile, at $3/month, and with their WiFi Calling option, you can receive texts (send also, make/receive calls).

Or just get a new UM number, activate it (in the U.S.) then have it mailed to you. Then add that new number to your BofA and other SMS2FA lists.

You could even port out to Google Voice, and then anyone will still see this as a mobile number.

So you have a GV number? That should work, but configuration and use can be tricky to correctly set-up.

I would also get a free Talkatone number, and add that to your BofA SMS verification list. Both GV and Talkatone work for me. I use GV with BofA constantly, my only foreign currency fee exempt card is with BofA.

My USA phone number with a sim card that I use only for txt codes is on a flip phone.

I have mint mobile 

I pay yearly ($15p/m)

Alcatel flip phone 4044v 4g lte

I tried putting the sim in my Iphone 5s ,several years ago when I had cell tower issues in getting a signal for several months in Thailand(I think because I moved to a new location ) ! The MM CSR and I tried everything to get it to recognize a signal even taking the sim out and putting it in my 5s! 

Going forward after maybe 2 months the sim picked up a signal and I haven't had issues with it since, other than replacing the battery in the Alcatel flip.

I have other sims from Mint Mobile that I purchased from Amazon a while back ! One is a trial offer !

I think I'm gonna try and get this to work in my 5s 

This will give me another usa phone number I'll pay for 3 months and than port it out to Ultra!!

Can I port it out to UM ,even though I'm in Thailand ?

To answer your question , I have a Talktone#  and a Txtfree# . 

I usually have my mintmobile number as a contact and my GV as a back up.!

One other thing I have a Iphone SE 2020 that I bought here new ,I use it for Thailand.I thought all of these SE's came with 2 sim slots ,but not the case with the one I bought !

Edited by riclag

If the Mint Mobile SIM works here acceptably in the Alcatel it will work in ANY other phone you could find/buy here.

When was the last time you received an SMS on this phone, using this SIM?

Don't you have to enable and fund UpRoam?

Mint does offer WiFI calling, which would make things easier, assuming you have access to WiFi.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

If the Mint Mobile SIM works here acceptably in the Alcatel it will work in ANY other phone you could find/buy here.

When was the last time you received an SMS on this phone, using this SIM?

Don't you have to enable and fund UpRoam?

Mint does offer WiFI calling, which would make things easier, assuming you have access to WiFi.

I receive txt only   !

I have a $5 balance on my roaming for the last 2 years,

I never call out or accept calls.

I received a txt yesterday.

When I call the states, I use either Talktone or Txtfree apps. When I talk to my kids I use facetime,

I have set up call forwarding on my MM ,to my GV.

Like I said in my pervious comment , at one time several years ago I had a problem with getting a signal . Its fine now ,its been fine since then  which was 1-1/2 years ago .

You forgot to answer the UM question

Thanks

alcatel.jpg.5f24e20d0da84e9281dab4a46ded893f.jpg

Edited by riclag

12 hours ago, riclag said:

Not sure? Depends. Porting out to which provider?

I think it could be done but you might need real-time support from a trusted party in the U.S.

That Mint SIM will work in ANY phone here. No need to worry about the phone dying. Pop it in, give it a good 10 minutes. If no "R" on the bars, nudge it with an SMS from your Talkatone or GV numbers, and/or nudge it with a voice call rom one or both of these.

I would enable WiFi calling on your Mint account, assuming you have a WiFi network at home.

https://www.mintmobile.com/features/wifi-calling-text/

I received a txt yesterday.

OK, so you can receive a 2FA message from BofA, and don't really need a FIDO Key, except maybe as back-up. Right?

Did you have a SafePass card? Did you use it?

I use either Talktone

IME, I was able to add my Talkatone number to my BofA 2FA list, and it works.

Good luck, seems like you are well no the road to solving your BofA 2FA challenges.

On 5/30/2021 at 5:55 AM, The Theory said:

You can get an adapter USB/lightning for apple around ฿200-฿250. There are other types. WFB RSA device is $25, not free. I'm just wondering why they don't use apps such as M-soft. 

There are ethernet port to USB adaptors also which is another option.  Use them at work for several things.  Of course some devices may now often not come with those ports either

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Not sure? Depends. Porting out to which provider?

I think it could be done but you might need real-time support from a trusted party in the U.S.

That Mint SIM will work in ANY phone here. No need to worry about the phone dying. Pop it in, give it a good 10 minutes. If no "R" on the bars, nudge it with an SMS from your Talkatone or GV numbers, and/or nudge it with a voice call rom one or both of these.

I would enable WiFi calling on your Mint account, assuming you have a WiFi network at home.

https://www.mintmobile.com/features/wifi-calling-text/

OK, so you can receive a 2FA message from BofA, and don't really need a FIDO Key, except maybe as back-up. Right?

Did you have a SafePass card? Did you use it?

IME, I was able to add my Talkatone number to my BofA 2FA list, and it works.

Good luck, seems like you are well no the road to solving your BofA 2FA challenges.

"I would enable WiFi calling on your Mint account, assuming you have a WiFi network at home".

Why would I need to enable this ! It would only contribute to draining the battery! Like I said before ! I get free txt from the states and I only have it to receive txt codes !

Perhaps I'm missing the significance of your statement .

On 5/30/2021 at 10:12 PM, NaamGin said:

I've got my name on the list to receive one when it rolls out in August and will update this thread once I receive and test it... 

Was told in a Bank of America email my Safepass would not work after August.  Today I tried it and it doesn't work dagnabit... only July 28!  Now have to try the USB method?  Even a google says SafePass is still good until end of August.

Edited by Skallywag

On 7/23/2021 at 12:37 PM, pmarlin said:

Do you still have a USA phone number on that account to use as a alternative 2fa ? 

On 7/28/2021 at 12:50 PM, Skallywag said:

Was told in a Bank of America email my Safepass would not work after August.  Today I tried it and it doesn't work dagnabit... only July 28!  Now have to try the USB method?  Even a google says SafePass is still good until end of August.

From the May 21 update, where the change was first announced...

You may be eligible for higher limits if you add Secured Transfer to receive a one-time passcode on your mobile device or register a USB security key. These services will replace SafePass, which will be eliminated by end of August, 2021. Higher limits may also apply for Bank of America Private Bank, Merrill or small business accounts.

So your experience is surprising. When did it last work for you? Was your SafePass card presented as an option? And you entered the code from the card LCD? And it was rejected?

After the end of August, the only options for 2FA will be a FIDO key, or an SMS to a phone.

Get a free Talkatone number now, add it (if you can?) to your contact list.

Get a FIDO key.

I use 2FA with BofA for log-in - I'd recommend this for everyone, and third-party (Plaid/WISE) access. I haven't had the need for any transfers out in a while.

I installed  and registered my Yubico 5 NFC  today !

1. I went to Yubico's website and verified that it was genuine,

by inserting it in the USB ,soon after the Yubico ok it.

2. I went to B Of America site and had to get a code and use my pin to my debit card ,to initiate the verification process ! I followed the next  prompt. 

3. I pressed the button on the key and a screen came up ,

Security key was successfully added 

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...