COVID test requirements for leaving Thailand

We are flying from BKK to Seattle on June 8th via Narita. Flying on JAL all the way.  We're trying to make sure we meet all test requirements for:

1) Entering the USA

2)Boarding the JAL flight

3) Departure from Thailand

As far as entering the USA, their requirements are here: 
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

To wit: "What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable?

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples ... include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. 

I prefer the antigen test because here in Hua Hin it's half the price of PCR (3000THB vs 6200THB). Plus, we get antigen results in 1 hour; PCR takes nearly 24 hours.  As far as I can tell, this will be acceptable for entry into the USA.

For boarding the JAL flight, I called and they said they don't care. They have no specific requirement. Whatever is required by our country of destination is good enough for them. Hopefully, they are up to speed with USA CDC guidelines here in BKK, but I will bring a printout of the CDC page "just in case." 

I figured I'm good with the Antigen test, but then the wife says: "No, Thailand requires PCR test for departure."  I says: "Show me in writing."  Her: <crickets>

I've never heard of any country having a specific requirement for departing passengers.  Am I missing something? Is there anything that says we will need a PCR test for this trip?

Thanks for any advice. Please give a link if you know of a specific requirement. 

Thailand does not require a covid 19 test to leave the country of any kind.

You only have to have to meet the test requirements for the country you are traveling to. But some airlines may have their own requirements (check with them about it).

I'll be flying back to Europe (to Frankfurt, or Brussels through Frankfurt) end of June. What with the worsening situation in Thailand I may then need a test (probably a PCR one). Right now, Thailand is still on the "green list", touch wood. Where can I get a test within the required time-span in Pattaya or the airport?

On 5/31/2021 at 2:11 PM, USNret said:

Thanks Joe. JAL said "Whatever the US wants, they are fine".  So I'll go with the Antigen test, which is 1/2 the price of PCR (at least it is here in Hua Hin.) 

Hey, any chance you could update this thread with your experiences?

I'm also flying on JAL --  BKK NRT SFO -- in about ten days.  Wondering what test(s) I need to book.

• Like 1

My wife and I flew from BKK-NRT-SFO on May 18th. We both got PCR tests at Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok. Not sure if that was necessary but these were readily accepted and as I sit here now we have had both of our Pfizer vaccine shots already so well worth it.

Edited by wasabi

On 5/31/2021 at 2:11 PM, USNret said:

Thanks Joe. JAL said "Whatever the US wants, they are fine".  So I'll go with the Antigen test, which is 1/2 the price of PCR (at least it is here in Hua Hin.) 

Hi I'm curious about the same thing.  Would prefer antigen test for ease/speed/cost if its accepted.    

Please update how it went for you!  Safe travels.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:47 PM, theWTD said:

Hi I'm curious about the same thing.  Would prefer antigen test for ease/speed/cost if its accepted.    

Please update how it went for you!  Safe travels.

It went perfectly. We got the test at 1:00 on Sunday, and had the results by 3:00.  Drove to the airport next day and now we're in Seattle. Everyone was fine with our antigen test. All the seasoned Thai travelers and blogs and even airlines say you must have PCR -- but they all are wrong. Look at the CDC & State Dept sites for travel and they both say Rapid Antigen is acceptable. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 11:48 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Every airport ( or airline ) i've travelled with over the last 15 months have required RT-PCR negative test result presented at check in.

Asia / Africa / Europe.

JAL says "Whatever your destination country requires." USA CDC website says PCR or Antigen is fine. We went with antigen. Advantages: Half the price, and results in 2 hours.  We completed the trip, and it worked out fine. 

9 minutes ago, USNret said:

JAL says "Whatever your destination country requires." USA CDC website says PCR or Antigen is fine. We went with antigen. Advantages: Half the price, and results in 2 hours.  We completed the trip, and it worked out fine. 

Interesting, a lot majority of the airlines i've used have been very specific about it being RT-PCR.