Electric pre-payment

dddave

I'm getting out of Bangkok for at least the next 3 months but will keep my Bangkok apartment.  There will be a few electrical devices still running so there will be minimal electrical use.  It will be difficult to have my bill sent to me. 

Does anybody know if you can make a pre-pay deposit at the EGAT office that will be sufficient for the oncoming bills?

It would be MEA not EGAT.

I assume MEA have an app like the PEA one, you don't need the bill, just a Thai credit card or online banking to pay.

If you have time set up a direct debit, it used to be rather painful but is apparently much easier now.

I was trying to not be too wordy but should have explained electric is still in condo owners name so credit/debit card arrangements not possible. I just get the statement stuffed into my mailbox 

As the condo is owned by an individual, building management wants nothing to do with tenants bills.  I wouldn't trust them anyway...totally inept.

Correct: MEA, not EGAT

29 minutes ago, dddave said:

I was trying to not be too wordy but should have explained electric is still in condo owners name so credit/debit card arrangements not possible. I just get the statement stuffed into my mailbox 

As the condo is owned by an individual, building management wants nothing to do with tenants bills.  I wouldn't trust them anyway...totally inept.

Correct: MEA, not EGAT

SCB's online banking website allows me to select MEA as a payee for payment directly from my account. I haven't tried it, but I think it would be possible to pay an amount equivalent to several months' bills that way. It is the SCB website I access from my computer, not my phone. See if your bank's website allows this.

What OP wants can easily be done. 

Go to any  MEA office.  Bring your electricity bill and tell them you want to pay in advance  ล่วงหน้า. Any amount. They will deduct the bill from this advance payment until it's used up. If that takes more than a year,  no problem. 

Alternative: use a banking app, e.g. from Bangkok Bank. Select Payment, select MEA as payee, insert reference number. That is called "CA/Ref. No 1" on your bill (if you get your bill as a slip), also known as account number.  The banking app will then show you the outstanding amount.  Pay it.

• Like 1

I use Kasikorn online banking. Because I use it all the time I have a billing template for the MEA.

When I click on that (on the bank online banking page) I see how much money the MEA wants. Another click and it's payed.

And after I pay it it's right away updated. So if I accidentally would try to pay the next day again it would clearly show me that I paid already. 

This online banking works from everywhere and I don't need to see the MEA bill - or to be precise I need to see that bill only one time to be able to enter my MEA account number in the bank form. That MEA account number never changes so no need to ever look at the bill again.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I use Kasikorn online banking. Because I use it all the time I have a billing template for the MEA.

When I click on that (on the bank online banking page) I see how much money the MEA wants. Another click and it's payed.

And after I pay it it's right away updated. So if I accidentally would try to pay the next day again it would clearly show me that I paid already. 

This online banking works from everywhere and I don't need to see the MEA bill - or to be precise I need to see that bill only one time to be able to enter my MEA account number in the bank form. That MEA account number never changes so no need to ever look at the bill again.

I do exactly the same. Very easy.

This would be the easiest.

• Thanks 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Exactly what I do with MEA and my Kbank account. I am also registered with MEA online to see the bill but they never seem to send me an email bill. My meter gets read every 5th day of month and I log into Kbank on 6th and the amount to pay is there in the billing template. Click to pay and it's done and print out receipt. Very easy. I set a calendar reminder notification and email for 6th so don't miss it (they will cut you off if unpaid for 10 or 14 days I think).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dddave said:

should have explained electric is still in condo owners name so credit/debit card arrangements not possible. I just get the statement stuffed into my mailbox 

My arrangements are the same, condo and bills in the owners name.   You can still register in the MEA app using the condo's address and you will be advised of the bill every month and can pay it via the app using a card or online banking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Download the MEA app. You can add your account by using two numbers shown on your paper invoice. You do not need to be the owner to do this.

You can pay by debit or credit card and also by internet banking with most major banks. Again, you do not need to be the owner to pay the bill.

Fee is between zero and ten baht depending on your choice of payment.

if you have a copy of the official bill, you can sign up for the MEA and PEA app with the customer number that appears in the bill, no need to get landlord involved, then you can pay with credit card through the app, or get QR to pay via transfer from your bank app or at 7-11