Flight Radar 24 Mayday Mayday Mayday.

Dazinoz

I am a member of FR24 and often monitor flights especially around Chiang Mai. I have an alert set for Mayday calls on my phone so as I can go watch the flight if I want.

Today I received the alert and checked on my phone. The flight was Kuwait KU920/KAC920 from Guangzhou to Dhaka. When I looked I noticed the flight was approaching Chiang Mai, which I thought a bit out of its flightpath so I looked at its track. It flew from Guangzhou to Bangladesh where it did a number of circles just below Cumilla and then headed towards Chiang Mai and it was somewhere along this path the Mayday was declared. I actually saw it fly past my house at around 13,000 feet and proceeded to land at Chiang Mai airport.

Does anyone know of any websites you can go look at Maydays and find what was the problem? I am assuming for some reason not allowed to land in Bangladesh so headed to CM and ran low on fuel, but only a wild guess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AustrianSimon said:

There was a large weather system with thunderstorms embedded arriving from the west (India) going over Bangladesh and Myanmar, TSRA (Thunderstorms and Rain) over Dhaka for about 3-4 hours when KU920 was about to arrive. They entered a hold, and then diverted to the next airport in the clear, which was in Vietnam.

I am still monitoring this occurrence as there is a possibility they may have landed below final fuel reserve - then The Aviation Herald (me) would report, otherwise this as a weather related diversion will be outside our coverage.

Servus, Simon

As I mentioned in my post i received a Mayday alert from FR24 and the flight was approaching Chiang Mai in Thailand where it finally landed in fine weather. I don't understand why diverted to Vietnam as many airports in Thailand much closer. If just weather related I doubt a mayday so I think it maybe a low fuel related.

11 hours ago, digbeth said:

So is it just a divert or a proper full on mayday? 

As far as I know you don't call a Mayday for a divert. A couple sources say they were low on fuel so declared a Mayday to ensure fast in arrival. I would like to know the facts of why Mayday called.

• Like 1

Planes are always fueled sufficiently to land at  an alternate airport in case for some reason they can't land at their destination airport. So fuel alone should not have resulted in declaring an emergency. Have you checked flyertalk?