Investing for a Thai person

20 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Can Jitta do this - what is Jitta?  

No.  Jitta is a stock information site, broadly similar to something like Morningstar.

As for brokers, this has been asked multiple times in the last few months.  I suggest you search.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, tonray said:

All of the majore banks have brokerage capabilities. Makes things easier to fund if she already has a savings account at one of them. 

She is only 16 but it would be easy to set up.. do the brokerage accounts allow her to invest in US etf funds etc... is it like a Schwab account where we can work it together on line? 

I did try a search but got nowhere... 

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

She is only 16 but it would be easy to set up.. do the brokerage accounts allow her to invest in US etf funds etc... is it like a Schwab account where we can work it together on line? 

I did try a search but got nowhere... 

Here is an example....my GF has an account here:

https://www.kasikornsecurities.com/en

As far as US ETFs..that I am not sure but I don't think a regular account here allows you to do that. But I'm not sure

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tonray said:

Here is an example....my GF has an account here:

https://www.kasikornsecurities.com/en

As far as US ETFs..that I am not sure but I don't think a regular account here allows you to do that. But I'm not sure

That looks like it will be fine... I saw something about a fund w/msft, appl, etc... any mutual type fund investing in US securities will do the trick.. I use Kasikorn here as I find them fastest and most reliable for money transfers from USA... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

any mutual type fund investing in US securities will do the trick

It would appear that you haven't considered the fact that your Niece is not an American citizen.  That means any investment income will be subject to US withholding tax at either 15% or 30%.  She would be far better off investing in equivalent ETFs listed in, say London or Frankfurt.

You state "mutual type fund".  She will not have access to US mutual funds.  She could, of course, invest in Thai mutual funds which invest in the US, and could do this conveniently and easily at her local bank branch.  For example https://www.krungsriasset.com/EN/FundDetail.aspx?fund=KF-US

38 minutes ago, Oxx said:

It would appear that you haven't considered the fact that your Niece is not an American citizen. 

of course I have considered that and that is why I asked the question.. if she were a US citizen I could just open an account for her in her name... I am looking for Thai based investment vehicles for her.. 

Thanks, will check out this fund. 

27 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

of course I have considered that and that is why I asked the question.. if she were a US citizen I could just open an account for her in her name... I am looking for Thai based investment vehicles for her.. 

You appear to have missed my point, which is about taxation of US investments owned by non-resident aliens - not about opening an account.

• Thanks 1