Calories in Thai Beers.

Mason45

Cliveb' got good oil for you there. After we pass 50-'ish we start to undergo lots of metabolic and endocrine system changes (hormones). As we age we need far less carbohydrates (starches). Starches are converted into sugars and stored in the muscle tissues as glycogen. 

Fitness helps slow the ageing (and endocrine slowing/ downturn process).

If you are really fit, lean (like me), and train hard (therefore have a speedier metabolism and stimulate your endocrine system) then yes you can afford to eat more carbs (starches) than the average semi-immobile man, but still far less is advised (by health, overall wellness, and fitness experts worldwide).

What we need as we pass and move beyond 50'ish is more 'clean' protein (not fried fish or fried meat - bbq style is better) and far less carbs n fats of any kind. Oily fish e.g. salmon, sardines, and grains with lots of oil e.g. linseed are good sources of fat.

I imagine you eat larger Western sized meals, is this correct? I reduced the size of my means by about 25 to 30% in my late 50's on nutritionist  advice and I feel far healthier now.

I also added things that are good for the gut flora e.g. natural yoghurt (was not a regular eater of natural greek styled yoghurt. I often mix with fresh fruit. This is maybe 4 times a week my desert at night or after my workouts). Thankfully Thai's know naturally about looking after the gut (fish sauce as one source) which I take every day in some form.

I would suggest that there is no easy way to drop off excess fat unless you create and exercise as hard, in a short interval styled way as you can (health issues not withstanding e.g. heart, obesity).

The much touted notion that we can loose weight by strict diets, or supplements alone is BS it simple starves the body and does nothing but set us up for binging and increased weight gain as soon as we eat something outside the restrictive-punishing diet. We must, to drop of excess weight (e.g. that which we see, and that which we do not see, and which is just as deadly is fat that collects around the heart muscle and inside arteries) is to work that pump and thereby increase the metabolic rate, this way after exercise and at rest we continue to burn calories. This way you will after a time be able to go have cake once in a while, enjoy beer and a glass of wine too without worrying about it as you'll be fit strong as your metabolic rate will be naturally adjusted - you'll feel great too. The missus will fall in love with ya again as you'll be better in the sack lol. 

Swimming is a great way to protect the joints if you have weak muscle structure until you have shed weight and toned your muscles. Aqua aerobics is hard work if you go at it as hard as you can and won't hurt your knees back hips etc. Riding a bike is also good for the heart and the large muscle groups in the lower body and our very vital core.

I swim a few laps of Nai Thon maybe 4 times a week and its awesome. I was never a good swimmer despite growing up as a beach boy, being a surfer since I was a small child. I had to learn how to swim better and get stronger in freestyle as I was very poor in stamina and wasted a lot of energy due to poor technique ... so I had swimming lessons at 55.  Now I swim a mile! Yeah I'm rooted when I finish but recover fast now and feel awesome after a rest and putting in some healthy.

There is an old adage in the fitness world and this is; 'If you eat more than you burn you're in trouble, and you have to heat the core, the furnace' then you burn both newly acquired food stores as well as the older food stores that have been converted into fat around your body. 

If you've got no clue find a personal trainer and invest in this for yourself.

They do the motivating and fill-in the gaps of your lows when you are lacking motivation. They also can see you as you don't, and if a half-decent trainer will have a 'good eye' for what you need by testing your systems to gauge where you are at. They'll ask about and check your eating habits too.

Remember you're never too old to start or re-start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cut out sugar, salt, bread and anything cooked in saturated fats and drink plenty of water.

Have three alcohol-free days per week (at least) , (Mon, Tue & Wed).

Keep moving and get that heart pumping. (at least 5 days per week)...

If you can burn off more kilojoules than you take in then you're heading in the right direction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Two options:

1) Drink so much beer you end up puking it back out

2) I'm not a nutritionist but I've notice the cans of beer weigh less than the bottles.

You're welcome ????

On 8/22/2021 at 10:44 AM, Tropposurfer said:

'If you eat more than you burn you're in trouble, and you have to heat the core, the furnace' 

Exactly ...

I still love beer too much  555

????️‍♂️

Peace

• 2 years later...
On 8/26/2021 at 7:17 AM, bangkok19 said:

Cut out sugar, salt, bread and anything cooked in saturated fats and drink plenty of water.

Have three alcohol-free days per week (at least) , (Mon, Tue & Wed).

Keep moving and get that heart pumping. (at least 5 days per week)...

If you can burn off more kilojoules than you take in then you're heading in the right direction.

Load of nonsense. Saturated fat is good for you. Alcohol isn't.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, Stargeezr said:

Switch to water with the flavorings like strawberry etc. way less calories and a bit better on your health.

Straight whiskey is also okay but still lots of sugar. Also the night time snacks are a lot of temptation

for a lot of us.

Geezer

Whisky has no carbs

Edited by uttradit

• 1 month later...