Jump to content

Recommended Posts

There is another VPN thread running and i read most pages but I did not see the question I have addressed, and I did not want to derail tge tgread by asking my question there, So here I go.

I have Nord VPN that I use on my looptop where I turn it on and off as needed. 

I just got around to hooking  up  my ROKU ultra, (I had list the remora and finally got a replacement)  and of course I cant get access to the US version of my Amazon Prime,  Netflix content. and  Roku content.

I have 3 BB internet and we are located in Khon Kaen

How do I enable my Roku Ultra box to use the VPN ?

I suspect I would have to enable the 3BB box to use the VPN , Does anyone have any experience with 3BB and VPN? 

Should I call 3 BB and ask them? from my research, it looks like I would have to change the router, to a VPN enabled router, but I don't know all that much about routers, and I have a pretty good internet connection and Wi-Fi coverage that I don't want to mesh up. 

I appreciate any advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, installed on my Ipad , Express VPN which has country settings by user to prevent getting blocked by Amazon Prime etc...... ever any problems not cured by reloading/ country resetting the VPN......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

You need to sort your keyboard/typing problems first!   555

 

You need to install your VPN (Express in my case) onto each device. You cannot put it on 3BBs router.

Not a keyboard problem, Mostly a me problem LOL

my eyesight is going to sh*t and my fingers are losing their aim to mention a few. Nothing that 20 more years (if I am lucky) will not short out on it's own. 

I thought the 3BB router might not be programable, but I don't know, what I don't know so I thought I would ask. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not a keyboard problem, Mostly a me problem LOL

my eyesight is going to sh*t and my fingers are losing their aim to mention a few. Nothing that 20 more years (if I am lucky) will not short out on it's own. 

I thought the 3BB router might not be programable, but I don't know, what I don't know so I thought I would ask. 

I must be doing OK at 73!    555

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Not a keyboard problem, Mostly a me problem LOL

my eyesight is going to sh*t and my fingers are losing their aim to mention a few. Nothing that 20 more years (if I am lucky) will not short out on it's own. 

I thought the 3BB router might not be programable, but I don't know, what I don't know so I thought I would ask. 

I don't think(pretty sure really) you can load NordVPN onto your 3BB supplied router. One solution may be to put your existing 3BB router into bridge mode and connect a VPN compatible router to it. Thats what I've done. I have a Huawei Echolife HG8145V GPON/Router combo supplied by 3BB in bridge mode, so it is effectively only converting the fibre optic signal to ethernet, feeding an ASUS RC-AC86U router. You can then set up profiles on the ASUS router to connect to NordVPN. Once the profile is active, ALL devices going through the router will be tunneled through the VPN defined in the profile. 

 

RT-AC86U.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
correction
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I don't think(pretty sure really) you can load NordVPN onto your 3BB supplied router. One solution may be to put your existing 3BB router into bridge mode and connect a VPN compatible router to it. Thats what I've done. I have a Huawei Echolife HG8145V GPON/Router combo supplied by 3BB in bridge mode, so it is effectively only converting the fibre optic signal to ethernet, feeding an ASUS RC-AC86U router. You can then set up profiles on the router to connect to NordVPN. Once the profile is active, ALL devices going through the router will be tunneled through the VPN defined in the profile. 

 

RT-AC86U.jpg

Same me. 3BB in Bridge mode ans Asus RC AC86U.

But be aware. you still might not be able to view Amazon Prime. They seem to be able to detect when I am using a VPN so still won't stream. BBC iPlayer streams no problem though for me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Same me. 3BB in Bridge mode ans Asus RC AC86U.

But be aware. you still might not be able to view Amazon Prime. They seem to be able to detect when I am using a VPN so still won't stream. BBC iPlayer streams no problem though for me.

I prefer to install NordVPN on each of my devices, as I want to connect to different countries on each device. Also don't want to potentially impact Mrs MDs access to Thai soaps etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Get yourself an Asus router (RT-AC86U is PERFECT) and available for less than 6,000 baht online at invaedit-it in Hua Hin or in the IT marts in BKK and elsewhere.

 

Someone mentioned setting up Bridge mode with 3BB and although this is ideal and doo-able (just need to call them), it is not an absolute requirement. You can connect your new Asus router to the LAN port of your current 3BB router, set up NordVPN on the Asus router and use "policy rules" feature on the Asus to route your devices thru the WAN or the ROKU thru the VPN tunnel. It is very flexible and idiot proof.

As well there are some critical DNS settings offered on Asus /Merlin firmware for DNS configurations that might resolve your Amazon and Netflix streaming issues. Also, check out Diversion the complete ad blocking solution for websites, including Youtube. Diversion is available ONLY for Asus routers with Merlin firmware.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/

 

See this:

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1047410562/How-to-configure-your-Asus-router-running-original-firmware-AsusWRT.htm

 

NB: be sure to get the Asus RT-AC86U or your OpenVPN speeds will be in the toilet.

 

 

ROKU vpn.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I prefer to install NordVPN on each of my devices, as I want to connect to different countries on each device. Also don't want to potentially impact Mrs MDs access to Thai soaps etc.

That is my concern also.

If I got the RT-AC86U and did the bridge thing with my 3BB router, will there be two Wi-Fi signals in the house, One from the 3BB router that will show a Thai IP that my wife can use to log on to for her Thai content, and another Wi-Fi signal form the RT-AC86U with a US (or what ever country) IP address, that I can log on with my devices to access the content of that countries content? 

Will be going to the mall to get an RT-AC86U later this day, should I call 3BB to come and configure it? I would not mind paying a bit to have it done right. 

 

PS: I like to take this opportunity to Thank everyone in this thread for their help and  suggestions, I have read every single one of them and  learned a lot. I apologize for not responding to every one of them, but we had been away for over two years and I am busier than a one arm paperhanger trying to do all the things that need to be done, Just finished getting my Thai drivers license, and yesterday got my yellow book. My Koi pond was green, birds were nesting in my A/C units, painting to be done everywhere,  , etc. 

Anyway, Thank You All 😃

 

Edited by sirineou
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

<Snip>

That is my concern also.

If I got the RT-AC86U and did the bridge thing with my 3BB router, will there be two Wi-Fi signals in the house, One from the 3BB router that will show a Thai IP that my wife can use to log on to for her Thai content, and another Wi-Fi signal form the RT-AC86U with a US (or what ever country) IP address, that I can log on with my devices to access the content of that countries content? 

Will be going to the mall to get an RT-AC86U later this day, should I call 3BB to come and configure it? I would not mind paying a bit to have it done right. 

</Snip>

 

If the 3BB router is in bridge mode, I'm not sure you will be able to access the WWW via the 3BB WiFi. I've switched off WiFi on my 3BB router, so don't know the answer for sure. I would do more research on that BEFORE buying the ASUS router.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, vidra said:

You can't install a VPN in to Roku as far as I know. You could do it on an Android TV based box though. However Netflix is doing some complex DNS checking for your location and sooner or later will figure out that you are using a VPN and disable your service.

The really good way is to install the VPN on a second router like a Mikrotik for example which is after your 3BB box.

The only downside is that then all of your traffic will go via the VPN, so website might load slower.

Yea I was kind of trying to avoid having all of my Wi-Fi enabled devises go through the VPN . Right now only my lop top is running the VPN which is good because I can suspend it whenever I don't want it, which is most of the time. 

I can play content on my lop top while logged on to the VPN, but for some reason I am unable to mirror my lop top   to the TV or the Roku wirelessly . I have watched the how-to videos, followed all the steps, but in the end it does not happen. I guess I can hook up the lop-top to the TV , vis an HDMI cable, It's not like I watch a lot of TV anyway. 

Anyway, Thank you for your reply. 😀

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sirineou said:

Yea I was kind of trying to avoid having all of my Wi-Fi enabled devises go through the VPN . Right now only my lop top is running the VPN which is good because I can suspend it whenever I don't want it, which is most of the time. 

I can play content on my lop top while logged on to the VPN, but for some reason I am unable to mirror my lop top   to the TV or the Roku wirelessly . I have watched the how-to videos, followed all the steps, but in the end it does not happen. I guess I can hook up the lop-top to the TV , vis an HDMI cable, It's not like I watch a lot of TV anyway. 

Anyway, Thank you for your reply. 😀

 

 

its likely you need to allow apps on the LAN to bypass the vpn before mirroring can work. Or as mentioned previously use "policy rules" on a router. Simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 11:12 PM, catturd said:

Get yourself an Asus router (RT-AC86U is PERFECT) and available for less than 6,000 baht online at invaedit-it in Hua Hin or in the IT marts in BKK and elsewhere.

 

Someone mentioned setting up Bridge mode with 3BB and although this is ideal and doo-able (just need to call them), it is not an absolute requirement. You can connect your new Asus router to the LAN port of your current 3BB router, set up NordVPN on the Asus router and use "policy rules" feature on the Asus to route your devices thru the WAN or the ROKU thru the VPN tunnel. It is very flexible and idiot proof.

As well there are some critical DNS settings offered on Asus /Merlin firmware for DNS configurations that might resolve your Amazon and Netflix streaming issues. Also, check out Diversion the complete ad blocking solution for websites, including Youtube. Diversion is available ONLY for Asus routers with Merlin firmware.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/

 

See this:

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1047410562/How-to-configure-your-Asus-router-running-original-firmware-AsusWRT.htm

 

NB: be sure to get the Asus RT-AC86U or your OpenVPN speeds will be in the toilet.

 

 

ROKU vpn.jpg

Unfortunately for me , I cant tell the difference between a LAN and a WAN. LOL.

Do you think the 3BB tech would be able to do all these things for me? I don't mind paying.

If I try to do any of these, I am afraid I will do something wrong , cause a rift in the space/ time continuum and either end humanity as we know it ,or even worst.  cause my devises to play only Thai comedies . Ding, Bong, Waa wa Waaaaa. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, sirineou said:

Yea I was kind of trying to avoid having all of my Wi-Fi enabled devises go through the VPN .

Some VPN companies offer split tunneling.  You can chose which apps / websites go through the VPN, and which apps / websites don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Some VPN companies offer split tunneling.  You can chose which apps / websites go through the VPN, and which apps / websites don't.

Thank you for  that. I will look into it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...