Police, Thief, 2 Bystanders Killed In Clash

george

Police, thief, 2 bystanders killed in clash

BANGKOK: -- One police officer, a thief and two bystanders were killed at Talat (market) Thai in the Thon Buri section of Bangkok early Wednesday, when police clashed with a gang of car thieves.

Two other officers were also critically wounded in the shootout.

Pol Maj Gen Prapan Panikom, commander of Phathum Thani provincial police, said police are hunting down two more thieves who are on the run.

Police found equipment used in stealing cars of all types, and two guns at the body of the dead thief.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-05-23

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four killed in Pathum Thani market shooting spree

Pathum Thani: -- Four people were killed when an unidentified man armed with AK49 assault rifle and three grenades went on a shooting spree early Wednesday morning, police said.

The man began the rampage after police seized a motorcycle suspiciously left outside the Thai Market in Klong Luang district since 9 pm.

Police took the motorcycle and kept inside the police booth at the market at 3 am Wednesday and the man later turned up to claim for the machine.

A policed at the booth wanted to search the man but he refused and ran away and took out the rifle and fired at a security officer and killed him.

He also fired and injured a pick-up truck driver when the driver refused to give him a ride.

He ran to an intersection and fired and killed a durian vendor.

Police then surrounded him and exchanged a gun fire with him until 5:50 am. A policeman was killed and an inspector was injured during the exchange of gunfire when the gunman was also killed.

-- The Nation 2007-05-23

Three dead in market shooting spree

* From correspondents in Bangkok

* May 23, 2007

THREE people were killed and six injured by a gunman who went on a shooting spree in a market on the outskirts of Bangkok.

The unidentified man was apparently enraged when police seized his motorcycle, and stalked through a market in Pathumthani province, north of Bangkok, shooting dead a villager, a security guard and a police officer.

After a two-hour pursuit, police shot and killed the gunman, who was wielding an AK-47 and wore night vision goggles, Police Lieutenant Colonel Permkiat Suriyawong said.

"The gunman shot indiscriminately," Lt-Col Permkiat said. "Police successfully executed him."

Two police and four civilians were injured in the shooting at the market, and remain in a critical condition in hospital.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...64-1702,00.html

the WILD WILD East...

Pathumthani...no surprise, who would want to live there?! Even Nakorn Pathom and Chonburi are better options even though the crime-murder rates are probably just as high if not higher...

Heck, I would even rather live in hel_l holes of Samut Prakarn and Samut Sakorn than Pathum thani or Minburi, what a waiste of development! ! !

Wow,seems thailand is not behind in the splur of violence what is occuring more and more on daily basis in a lot of other places around the world.it almost looks like a trend is going on.Very sad indeed and I wish me and all other people on the forum never have to engage in such useless violence,it makes me sad,in the these days things can happen and come from any corner on anyplace,we should be aware it could be just around the corner,and that the nice lady who sells durian to you was the unwanted victim of a totally craze man.So useless,such a waste.

the WILD WILD East...

Pathumthani...no surprise, who would want to live there?! Even Nakorn Pathom and Chonburi are better options even though the crime-murder rates are probably just as high if not higher...

Heck, I would even rather live in hel_l holes of Samut Prakarn and Samut Sakorn than Pathum thani or Minburi, what a waiste of development! ! !

I live very near pathumthani ,its not a bad area the people are great ,just because one guy goes nuts no need kick the area , if this is theway it works then nobody would live anywhere,

Wow,seems thailand is not behind in the splur of violence what is occuring more and more on daily basis in a lot of other places around the world.it almost looks like a trend is going on.Very sad indeed and I wish me and all other people on the forum never have to engage in such useless violence,it makes me sad,in the these days things can happen and come from any corner on anyplace,we should be aware it could be just around the corner,and that the nice lady who sells durian to you was the unwanted victim of a totally craze man.So useless,such a waste.

I think given the amount of firearms in Thailand these shooting spree's are very low.

You do not hear of many - murders of business rivals and others for petty reasons but not the gunman going on a shooting spree towards unknown victims on a scale.

Update:

AK47-armed gunman kills 3 in suburban Bangkok

PATHUM THANI: -- Four persons died in suburban Bangkok Wednesday morning -- a gunman, a police officer, and two bystanders -- when a man armed with an AK-47 assault weapon and police here exchanged gunfire in a key green- and agro-industrial market.

The unidentified gunman, believed by police to part of a transnational car theft ring, was killed in the clash with Pathum Thani police. The dead assailant had extra ammunition and a set of automobile master keys in the pockets.

Police Corporal Wichet Samranlertwichai was killed in the incident, along with two innocent passers-by identified as Theerayuth Sriarayakul and Sa-ard Kamsri.

According to police, the gunman -- whose identity is being investigated -- was thought to be preparing to rob a trader in Pathum Thani's Talad Thai.

Police are investigating the incident and the car theft ring.

Talad Thai is a central market for agricultural goods and integrated agro industries. Located on a 200 acre site, the market supports a flow of over 15,000 tons of agricultural produce and products daily, making it a busy meeting place for traders and entrepreneurs.

--TNA 2007-05-23

The Guy responsible for all this has already been shot dead so i don,t see where he can get anymore Justice than he has already got ???? :o

dude, there was a gang of car thieves. one got killed and the other two ran away, with police tracking the MFers down. hehehe

This bloke has shot two people while attempting to escape and a policeman when finally cornered. A little sensational to call it a shooting spree. Of course it is sad that bystanders get killed and equally worrying that a police officer gets shot and killed. Yes, he put on the uniform, but did he really sign on to be shot ? Justice, be it rough and ready, has been done I guess. I bet his mates are still running.

I can't help seeing that picture of gold shop owners being trained to shoot. Bangkok may not yet be the "wild east" as previously suggested but it could get that way very quickly. You see what happens when a suspected robber is cornered. If I owned a gold shop I would put a big sign in the window saying "I don't have a gun". People walking past that shop might feel safer too. Doesn't matter if you are a innocent bystander. You are just as dead.

the WILD WILD East...

This has to be one of the more ignorant posts (Zero basis in fact) I have seen since I have been a member of the forum, and that is saying a lot.

the WILD WILD East...

I live very near pathumthani ,its not a bad area the people are great ,just because one guy goes nuts no need kick the area , if this is theway it works then nobody would live anywhere,

Hey, I agree!!  I've lived out here at Klong 10 on the Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Road now for 11 years.  Clean air, not too bad.  The traffic's building up, tho, and sure a whole lot of new moobans built and a building, in the last 3-4 years.  Given the GGF there with the major construction project at the main Rangsit junction/interchange I've been heading into Rangsit via the Klong Luang Road for the last 6-8 months, longer but easier, not much traffic.  Didn't notice any excitement yesterday.

Mac

... in the these days things can happen and come from any corner on anyplace,we should be aware it could be just around the corner,and that the nice lady who sells durian to you was the unwanted victim of a totally craze man.So useless,such a waste.

It is sad for the poor lady. An AK47? It just seems like the plot of an American Blockbuster where the villian runs through the steets blazing his gun at everyone, Is this where they get their ideas from? Or is it the othe way round ??

This is completely anecdotal, but I'd heard 20 or 30 years ago even more people had guns and it was even more dangerous in Thailand, but this was just from one expat family whose lives had been threatened after they came to take over directorship of a hospital in Phuket. The ones with the power weren't about to give it up, even thought it was supposed to be a Christian hospital. They left in the dark of night after only 10 days as they valued their lives.

Edit to note that they said many had guns and some Thai told them they should get a gun as everyone else had one.

Edited by Jimjim

Another vote for the area, although we're on the Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Rd, so a way away from Khlong Luang. Never had any problems over here that I can recall. Well...apart from the flooding that is...

This is completely anecdotal, but I'd heard 20 or 30 years ago even more people had guns and it was even more dangerous in Thailand, but this was just from one expat family whose lives had been threatened after they came to take over directorship of a hospital in Phuket. The ones with the power weren't about to give it up, even thought it was supposed to be a Christian hospital. They left in the dark of night after only 10 days as they valued their lives.

Edit to note that they said many had guns and some Thai told them they should get a gun as everyone else had one.

I don't know if there were more guns, but there were a lot back then and crime was perhaps even more rampant? When I first lived here in 1980-84 bus rides down South to Hat Yai, Phuket etc. were not the safest thing and armed hold-ups were not unusual. A farang friend of mine was on a bus to Hat Yai that was hijacked and forced to pull into a side rode. An undercover cop was on board and stood up to confront the hijacker and the cop was shot dead. Accomplices at the side of the road then raked the top of the bus with automatic gunfire. Fortunately nobody else was killed. My friend lost all his money and his passport, but he asked for the passport back and they gave it to him! Balls!

Quick question:

The guy went to the police booth to claim for his motorcycle, didn't allow the police to search him and suddenly he pull a AK-47 and start exchanging fire with the police. Where did he hide the AK-47 when he was in the police booth?

I think you all know AK-47 is quite big to hide behind you... Something doesn't fit in this story... :o

Isolated incident. Probably not helped by knee jerk coppers all shooting weapons.

If he had an AK47, against the Brown Wetsuit wearers... they should have let him run... less people dead that way..... A Bit like calling off a car chase when it's endangering others....

Common sense???

haha

Yeah

RIP, to the Police officer and the innocent citizens :D

May you rost slowly in hel_l, to the gunman :o and may they send your partners in crime to join you as soon as possible :D

No matter where in the world things like this happen it is always wery sad.

post-27080-1179913287_thumb.jpg

The unidentified man armed with AK49 assault rifle and three M26 grenades was killed in the clash with Pathum Thani police.

post-27080-1179914348_thumb.jpg

The M26 has a filling of Composition B contained within a sheet steel two part outer shell which covers a prenotched fragmentation coil inner liner. The use of the inner liner creates a highly predictable fragment pattern and causality radius.

Isolated incident. Probably not helped by knee jerk coppers all shooting weapons.

If he had an AK47, against the Brown Wetsuit wearers... they should have let him run... less people dead that way..... A Bit like calling off a car chase when it's endangering others....

Common sense???

haha

Yeah

If the news reports are to be belived, it seems to me that the gunman startet to shoot in anger over not getting his motorbike and that after the initial shooting of a securityguard/policeman, a pickup driver and a street vendor, later was cornered and shoot dead in a gunfight where only police got injured aswell.

Nobody forced the gunman to shoot at the driver or the street vendor, they where not a threat to him.

The dead and injured deserves respect and not ridicule from sombody sitting safe back home in the sofa.

Kind regards :o

Sound like these thieve were well Armed. RIP to all. So sorry to hear of bystanders getting kill. The old wrong place wrong time thing. Hope the police will give second thoughts to arming Gold Shop owner and other hi profile places :D:D:D (ie 7/11 etc) to many guns out there already. :o

the WILD WILD East...

nothing wrong with Minburi matey!!!!!