Cautious optimism infects Thailand as mass vaccination heralds reopening

webfact

11 hours ago, mommysboy said:

UK is experiencing a rapid increase in cases and now hospitalizations, heading possibly to yet another wave even though 80% are thought to have antibodies to covid 19, and it uses 3 highly effective vaccines.    Sadly it looks like the new normal is going to have to be full vaccination, plus some social distancing.  You'd think there must come a time when things return to pre-pandemic normality, but it's a heck of a long way off for Thailand, especially as it has very little natural immunity.

LOL! How many times do I need to post these charts?

301873022_ScreenShot2021-06-10at9_03_46AM.png.96cdcacf174994b09912c728dea52785.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

The interesting thing will be when vaccinations exceed the supply of vaccine they received.

hope someone in government is counting.

They have already stated 4,000,000 doses received to date (6 June), and 4,190,000 vaccinated to the same date.

8 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

They are salivating no doubt at the announcement of Uncle Sam giving away 300 million doses of quality vaccine.

Despite their pride, they seem all too happy to let the Farang bail them out everytime

Shameful

Thailand has made it clear that they will have enough vaccines bought and paid for by themselves. They have disqualified themselves from any US handout in my opinion.

Those SE Asian countries who have seen Thailand default on AZ delivery promises all have better claims to US assistance. The locally produced AZ vaccine is meant to be distributed amongst SE Asian countries. Thailand is a supposed hub.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oslooskar said:

I don't see it, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong graph or maybe it is not current enough.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Then you're not looking hard enough...

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Daily cases 7th January - 51,936

Daily cases 7th February - 11,358

Daily cases 7th March - 4,272

Daily cases 7th April - 3,073

Daily cases 7th May - 1,863
Daily cases 7th June - 7,576

It's a LOT better than January, which averaged over a thousand deaths each day, but infections are definitely up compared with last month...

8 hours ago, oslooskar said:

I don't see it, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong graph or maybe it is not current enough.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Yes, well 'currency' is important of course- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9674301/Fears-four-week-freedom-delay-Covid-vaccines-rollout-steams-ahead-curbs-stay.html

15 hours ago, sambum said:

Yes - confused me too!????

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/immunity-types.htm

Active Immunity

Active immunity results when exposure to a disease organism triggers the immune system to produce antibodies to that disease. Exposure to the disease organism can occur through infection with the actual disease (resulting in natural immunity), or introduction of a killed or weakened form of the disease organism through vaccination (vaccine-induced immunity). Either way, if an immune person comes into contact with that disease in the future, their immune system will recognize it and immediately produce the antibodies needed to fight it.

On 6/10/2021 at 4:14 PM, friendofthai said:

I think UK should follow the Hungary`s example. Vaccines from China and Russia are used widely there. And these vaccines have defeated COVID already in Hungary and San Marino.

In June, Hungary so far has recorded 230 covid deaths. The UK has 84. But on the other hand, the UK has about 7 times more people than Hungary...oh wait a minute that's not a mitigating factor. That makes it worse. So if Hungary had roughly the same population as the UK and kept its same rate of covid deaths that would mean it would have more than 1600 deaths compared to the UK's 84. Hey, it's only 19 times as much. I guess if the goal were to have more deaths, Hungary would be way ahead. Go Hungary!

On 6/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, spidermike007 said:

If anyone did not see the reasons to oust these guys before, the vaccination drive alone is all the indictment the nation needs. 

+1

On 6/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, connda said:

And masks -- Forever....

I doubt that. I think there will be a percentage of the populations that will continue to err on the side of caution. But the vast majority will revert to living like normal human beings once Covid is no more of a threat than the flu. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, placeholder said:

In June, Hungary so far has recorded 230 covid deaths. The UK has 84. But on the other hand, the UK has about 7 times more people than Hungary...oh wait a minute that's not a mitigating factor. That makes it worse. So if Hungary had roughly the same population as the UK and kept its same rate of covid deaths that would mean it would have more than 1600 deaths compared to the UK's 84. Hey, it's only 19 times as much. I guess if the goal were to have more deaths, Hungary would be way ahead. Go Hungary!

Those why die today caught COVID about 4 weeks earlier. Yes, 3-4 weeks earlier UK looked much better than Hungury. Because not enough people were vaccinated. But on 06/13/2021 and on 06/14/2021 we see:

7319 and 7606 new cases in UK.
0 and 255 in Hungary.

Looks like the vaccines from China and Russia are much more effective than the western ones.

Edited by friendofthai

28 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

Those why die today caught COVID about 4 weeks earlier. Yes, 3-4 weeks earlier UK looked much better than Hungury. Because not enough people were vaccinated. But on 06/13/2021 and on 06/14/2021 we see:

7319 and 7606 new cases in UK.
0 and 255 in Hungary.

Looks like the vaccines from China and Russia are much more effective than the western ones.

4 week ago the UK only had a slightly bigger percentage of its populace vaccinated than did Hungary.

UK had 55.5% with at least 1 dose and 31.3% fully vaccinated.

Hungary had 49% with at least 1 dose and 28.4% fully vaccinated.

Yet hungary had about 20 times more death 4 weeks later than the UK?

UK had 1529 cases reported 4 weeks ago.

Hungary reported 868

I guess that means that the Russiand and Chinese vaccines in use reallly stink at preventing death. Or, just possibly, Hungary's reporting of cases is suspect.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 1:51 PM, placeholder said:

4 week ago the UK only had a slightly bigger percentage of its populace vaccinated than did Hungary.

UK had 55.5% with at least 1 dose and 31.3% fully vaccinated.

Hungary had 49% with at least 1 dose and 28.4% fully vaccinated.

Yet hungary had about 20 times more death 4 weeks later than the UK?

UK had 1529 cases reported 4 weeks ago.

Hungary reported 868

I guess that means that the Russiand and Chinese vaccines in use reallly stink at preventing death. Or, just possibly, Hungary's reporting of cases is suspect.

The most recent data shows that my suggestion was right. And now we see 0 deaths for the last 2 days in Hungary. And 20 deaths in UK. It is very sad that people have to die just because their government can't buy the good vaccine from Russia or China.