Cautious optimism infects Thailand as mass vaccination heralds reopening

webfact

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

UK is experiencing a rapid increase in cases and now hospitalizations, heading possibly to yet another wave even though 80% are thought to have antibodies to covid 19, and it uses 3 highly effective vaccines.    Sadly it looks like the new normal is going to have to be full vaccination, plus some social distancing.  You'd think there must come a time when things return to pre-pandemic normality, but it's a heck of a long way off for Thailand, especially as it has very little natural immunity.

Screenshot_2021_0604_120912.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Got so fed up of trying to register with different apps for the vaccine I decided to drive to my local Government Hospital the staff at one section of the hospital were busy giving vaccines to Thais . I was directed to a registration room took all of 5 minutes to complete and the young lady told me to expect a phone call in 1 to 2 months where a date and a time would be given to me . I did explain that although fit I was over 70 she told me that the hospital were concentrating on giving the vaccines to Thai nationals first which I understand , at least I am now registered so it’s a case of waiting to be contacted .

Go and see all thai people you know giving them a hug and a kiss saying you've been refused the vaccine. Post their reactions. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

UK is experiencing a rapid increase in cases and now hospitalizations, heading possibly to yet another wave even though 80% are thought to have antibodies to covid 19, and it uses 3 highly effective vaccines.    Sadly it looks like the new normal is going to have to be full vaccination, plus some social distancing.  You'd think there must come a time when things return to pre-pandemic normality, but it's a heck of a long way off for Thailand, especially as it has very little natural immunity.

I think UK should follow the Hungary`s example. Vaccines from China and Russia are used widely there. And these vaccines have defeated COVID already in Hungary and San Marino.

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Natural immunity? 

1 hour ago, friendofthai said:

I think UK should follow the Hungary`s example. Vaccines from China and Russia are used widely there. And these vaccines have defeated COVID already in Hungary and San Marino.

A new variant comes along and you're back to square one.  The big mistake in the UK is failure to seal borders when required, and to lock down quickly and thoroughly when there is an outbreak.

Whatever its safety, nobody doubts AZ is a far more effective vaccine than Sinovac, which is still a good vaccine.  Sinovac also appears to have only mild side effects.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The government plans to inoculate 50 million people or 70 percent of the population with 100 million doses of vaccine by the end of this year.

They might Plan that But it may never happen.I hope they Can do it doh.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

They are salivating no doubt at the announcement of Uncle Sam giving away 300 million doses of quality vaccine.

Despite their pride, they seem all too happy to let the Farang bail them out everytime

Shameful

Yes so easy to be generous when 10 nations have stockpiled more than 80% of all the worlds covid vaccines. Throwing a dog a bone is so exemplary 

Edited by starky

5 minutes ago, starky said:

Yes so easy to be generous when 10 nations have stockpiled more than 80% of all the worlds covid vaccines. Throwing a dog a bone is so exemplary 

It's not as though the Thai government was lined up to purchase any of that so that's a big fat red herring.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, starky said:

I'm not sure how to respond to this. It's silly. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This will likely be a two to five year shake out. The financial devastation to the economy here is far worse than the 1997 crash.

That's my take on this too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

It's not as though the Thai government was lined up to purchase any of that so that's a big fat red herring.

No but it's the false narrative that the US is being so generous to a: something Thailand is not potentially eligible for and b: the fact the world's richest nations purchased and stockpiled the vast majority of the vaccine before most nations were even in the running

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Of the 28,000 who came so far this year, no doubt 27,500 were returning expats. Expect 5,000 total for the remainder of this year. 2021 is a write off. 2022 might be better. They might get as many as 500,000, maybe.
2023? If Covid is gone, maybe 2 million. 
Could climb to 4 million by 2024. Tourism here is essentially over, as a livelihood. Too many mistakes have been made. Too many opportunities lost. Trillions of dollars in infrastructure down the drain. Prayuth, Anutin and Phiphat could not have done a better job of sabotaging a vital industry, if they were actually trying to do so. If anyone did not see the reasons to oust these guys before, the vaccination drive alone is all the indictment the nation needs. 

No question, with the exception of some infrastructure, Thailand has been moving backwards for the past decade. On nearly every level. It did have a good run. Those days are behind it. So much self sabotage has been inflicted on this rather resilient nation, it would be a near impossibility for it to pull itself out of the abyss, shake off the molasses, and move forward. 

A very dynamic leader like Thanathorn would at least give the nation a chance at having a future. The current creeps do not. Japanese companies are relocating. Despite the.constant lies, foreign investment is way down. Tourism is all but finished. I understand why nearly a million youth are on FB, trying to figure out a way out. The future must look very bleak to them. For many of us, who are fortunate enough to not have a business here, things are simpler, and less complicated. All we have to do is deal with the continuous daily drivel of these goons in charge. 

This will likely be a two to five year shake out. The financial devastation to the economy here is far worse than the 1997 crash. And it will be sustained. Massive unemployment. Millions are out of work. Tourism will not rebound to any significant degree. The people who made up 70% of Thailand tourism arrivals were crushed by Covid and the economic shutdown. The lower to middle income Chinese, Indians and Malaysians. I predict no more than 5 million tourists annually, by 2025. Let us not forget. There were already countless issues affecting tourism long before Covid. And the two year shutdown will only compound that. Trillions will be lost. 

And all this because they were to cheap to buy vaccines.  Now no jobs or taxes from tourists.

10 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Udder Tripe? ????

These "Dicks" have totally lost the plot.  Not that any return will be possible before 2025 because all these money grabbing statements published daily in the "Wish List are turning people away.  Let alone any person thinking about travelling to Thailand 75 YO or over will not qualify for the required Covid included health Insurance so they won't be there for sure.  So sad for all the decent people in Thailand but your Government has fkd your future for you.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Excel said:

What utter tripe

Exactly, Thailand will regrettably see no re-opening before 2025 and even that will depend whether or not the existing Government has left any money at all in the proverbial till.

• Thanks 1