Bangkok plots flood prevention

Jonathan Fairfield

c6c8553ebb104d43241ebd47193f9794_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Bangkok officials prepare to tackle flooding in the capital this year.

Governor of Bangkok, Pol Gen Assawin Kwanmuang has attended a meeting on preparations against flooding with the city’s Office of Drainage. The gathering discussed run-off, and tidal flooding as well as heavy rains, and reviewed the provision of flood barriers along the Chao Phraya River, Khlong Bangkok Noi and Khlong Mahasawad, covering 27 installations. The meeting was told that sand bags have been provided to 87 locations without permanent flood protection or low barriers.

The Governor also reviewed the northern water situation with the Royal Irrigation Department, and discussed management criteria with the National Water Command Center, calling for all 96 Chao Phraya River water pumping stations to be inspected for readiness.

Addressing heavy rains in the city, the Governor reviewed the status of the capital’s four drainage tunnels, 31 reservoirs and two water banks, asking that canals to be dredged and cleared of any debris.

The Bangkok Flood Control Center reported to the Governor that it has been maintaining a 24 hour watch of the Chao Phraya River and has placed flood detection devices along roads and in tunnels.

It indicated that it has carried out cleaning of the city’s drainage system in light of rail construction projects generating a large amount of debris. More drainage points have been added to roadways, water pumps have been set up to enhance capacity and Big Bags have been positioned to direct flooding related to rail construction

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 1

I have a house in Rangsit. Never used to flood.

Flood protection was put in places around central Bangkok a number of years ago and have been slowly upgraded since. Which is nice for central Bangkok.

However the water has to go somewhere so now every year my house gets flooded.

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I have a house in Rangsit. Never used to flood.

Flood protection was put in places around central Bangkok a number of years ago and have been slowly upgraded since. Which is nice for central Bangkok.

However the water has to go somewhere so now every year my house gets flooded.

They can't stop it... just relocate it.

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

The Dutch seem to manage things OK, and on a more or less permanent basis ...

And if Thailand had the annual rainfall that Holland has I am sure they would manage just fine too - it is very little.   That really is a nonsensical comparison.

Holland has around 800mm per year, spread pretty evenly through the year.  Thailand gets up to 4,000mm and it is pretty concentrated during the rainy season (funnily enough), with months with no rain at all.

Put it another way, dump Thailand's rain on Holland and see how well the Dutch cope then - you can't compare the two at all (unless it is just to bash the Thais and say "look, Europeans do better").

Edited by josephbloggs