Kamala or Rawai?

rulebythieves

9 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

1985. Kata was indeed a village as was Karon and there was nothing inbetween. Just empty land.

Patong was already growing at a rapid rate, but Nanai had very few businesses. It was all houses.

there were places , restaurants an bungalows around where the circle is in Karon, as we stayed on the hillside back there in 84.  I think Thavorn palm beach resort was built as well and Marina cottages was being built or possibly opened.  Cant exactly recall

I lived on Na Nai in Patong in 85, when it was half way dirt road an helped Gary build the "hideaway"  There were no business for sure until u hit the north end where le jardin bungalows were> 
not a 7/11 in sight  ????

Patong was a full blown city in 85.  With the bars on soi Bangla that were moved off the beach by the government .  Patong 2nd road was built by nothing east of there but swamp land

Edited by zzzzz

On 6/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Its closer to Patong and less expensive then Rawai. And Kathu its more centrally then Kamala.

If you're travelling from Kathu to Patong, be very careful on Patong Hill. A combination of a steep hill, winding road and heavy traffic have resulted in a lot of deaths.

As Kathu doesn't have a beach, it's less geared towards tourists than Patong, Kamala, Karon etc.

You're going to have to stay in an SHA+ hotel for your first 2 weeks regardless, so why not hire a bike/car and spend a few days looking for a villa in Patong or nearby? I'm fairly certain you will be able to negotiate a big discount meeting the villa owner in person, armed with a stack of 1000 baht notes.

13 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I don't agree that it was "a full-blown city", not even close. Between 500 pee road and Nanai was disused rice fields sprinkled with a few buffalo plus a swampy bit of land near the present Jungceylon. Maybe that was why there was no flooding.

My first visit was also in 83 and I stayed in Patong. They were constructing soi Gonzo and soi ko yoi at that time. 

In 85 Bangla road was still dirt with a huge tree that covered the width of the soi opposite the Kangaroo bar. 

There were still a few bars on the beach road then. Thai Sala being one.

I moved in to the very first Patong Condo in 1990, The Condotel which I payed 265,000 Bt for.

The west side of 500 pee road had mainly houses right up to the Sukhothai bungalows and nothing on the east side as that was where the rice paddies started.

Have a look at some (not all) of these photos and you will see that Patong was very far from being a city in the 80's.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=old+patong+photos&hl=en&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ALeKk00_cLz2H6EjML2VGPwnsPrtcXUYqg%3A1623757452052&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=881&ei=jJLIYOpkktTSBOGbkIgN&oq=old+patong+photos&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoFCAAQsQM6AggAOggIABCxAxCDAToGCAAQCBAeUJEHWN49YMJJaABwAHgBgAH9CIgBmzKSAQ8xLjYuMi4yLjEuMi4yLjGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ved=0ahUKEwjq2oPxx5nxAhUSqpQKHeENBNEQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

Thanks for the flash back KB. Felt really old for a moment lol. Remember good in rainy season after night out went to the small paddy lakes for fishing where JC is.

Moved in at Condotel 1993 and bought in 1997. What a crazy perfect time it was. Nature mixed with party village. Happy to survived that years lol.

Do you remember when was the Robinson built? Only remember that friend and i pierced earrings in 92 there.

41 minutes ago, schlog said:

Thanks for the flash back KB. Felt really old for a moment lol. Remember good in rainy season after night out went to the small paddy lakes for fishing where JC is.

Moved in at Condotel 1993 and bought in 1997. What a crazy perfect time it was. Nature mixed with party village. Happy to survived that years lol.

Do you remember when was the Robinson built? Only remember that friend and i pierced earrings in 92 there.

Think it was around the 1990, but can't be sure.

After Mac's bar (Hard Rock), which was where everyone went after hours, there wasn't much.

By 93, on the corner, an American guy was selling the only pizza on the island at Pizza factory. That conman Brian was still around and ran Dooley's.

Yes, I also went fishing in the rice-paddy near the hospital. Caught loads of tiddlers, but gave it up as my feet were always covered in leeches.

The Expat was built in 88 and was considered far away from the night-life. Now, it's considered one of the closest bars to the night-life.

Went to the Paradise Bar near the beach. Bruce and the other guy ran the place.

Down on the sand at Patong Beach hotel was a tiny beach bar run by Brian and his missus Chumpee, who had a twin sister called Chumpah who occasionally came round.

Right across the street from the Expat bar was the Italian restaurant run by a tiny lady that had to be under five foot. Many Expat Bar patrons ordered her lasagne and ate it at the bar.

For about a year, I lived in Bangla with my girlfriend of the time. She kinda owned the place. It used to be a tailors, but is now a small Family Mart. How I slept through the racket, I'll never know.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

After Mac's bar (Hard Rock), which was where everyone went after hours, there wasn't much.

By 93, on the corner, an American guy was selling the only pizza on the island at Pizza factory. That conman Brian was still around and ran Dooley's.

Regular night with start at U2/Kangoroo then to Banana to watch the girls playing with tourist "fall in love show" for 1-2 drink. Later Hard Rock, Saloon and Ewos bar behind Brians Firehouse.

Remember good that pizza. Allways tastes great at 5am lol. Never went home before sunrise....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I also went fishing in the rice-paddy near the hospital. Caught loads of tiddlers, but gave it up as my feet were always covered in leeches.

The Expat was built in 88 and was considered far away from the night-life. Now, it's considered one of the closest bars to the night-life.

Down on the sand at Patong Beach hotel was a tiny beach bar run by Brian and his missus Chumpee, who had a twin sister called Chumpah who occasionally came round.

Right across the street from the Expat bar was the Italian restaurant run by a tiny lady that had to be under five foot. Many Expat Bar patrons ordered her lasagne and ate it at the bar.

For about a year, I lived in Bangla with my girlfriend of the time. She kinda owned the place. It used to be a tailors, but is now a small Family Mart. How I slept through the racket, I'll never know.

Considering the goings on of the time and since,  how you remember all that I'll never know!!

Well done...????

Edited by beechbum
  • Like 1

kamala dead dump ( sorry, “dustbox”) with poor beach area

patong / karon / kata / laguna all as “dead as disco”

phuket town (nightime)/rawai / nai harn / have very limited “intl” life

great uncrowded beaches with local life at kata (recommended) /kata noi / karon (4km / open sea / deserted)

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

How do you recall all these dates??
amazing>>

I moved to Patong in 85 from Pattaya an don't recall the exact dates as well as you>

I managed Doolies for Brian in the late 80, used to recall watching people walk up Bangla to the Nordic bungalows an see nothing but our lights and turn around and go back, figure that was around 88
a good night was 5,000 baht!! barley fed the bear

I managed the Titanic for a few years but only know it was around 1992, give or take a few years ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zzzzz said:

How do you recall all these dates??
amazing>>

I moved to Patong in 85 from Pattaya an don't recall the exact dates as well as you>

I managed Doolies for Brian in the late 80, used to recall watching people walk up Bangla to the Nordic bungalows an see nothing but our lights and turn around and go back, figure that was around 88
a good night was 5,000 baht!! barley fed the bear

I managed the Titanic for a few years but only know it was around 1992, give or take a few years ????

Yes, you have reminded me of the bear. What a stupid thing to have.

Did Brian rip you off? He sold the same shares in Doolies over and over again.

He wasn't too bright because he built the first house on the hair-pin bend opposite the temple.

When a car, or truck with "failed" brakes crashed into his living room, he moved.

He was also responsible for building the bar-beer complex behind the Fire-House and Fire-House itself.

Approached me with an investment idea, which of course required me to be the money-man. Told him to FO and he never talked to me again.........which was fine by me.

Believe he finally left town permanently when he got on the wrong side of some important Thais. He was a loathsome human being.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Titanic omg. Around 92-93 it was. What i never will forget was the special toilet service given by the toilet staff. And it was not only neck massage and cold towel while pee lol. Great so you were in charge of that.

36 minutes ago, schlog said:

Titanic omg. Around 92-93 it was. What i never will forget was the special toilet service given by the toilet staff. And it was not only neck massage and cold towel while pee lol. Great so you were in charge of that.

yea, it was part owned by Khun Chairat ( who later became the deputy mayor of Patong) and thomas ( a german)
it was the place to be on the island after 1 am..

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

yea, it was part owned by Khun Chairat ( who later became the deputy mayor of Patong) and thomas ( a german)
it was the place to be on the island after 1 am..

Yup. Know them both too good before. Crazy good times but also not only little bit dangerous. Compared to that time patong is since many years like a nursing home.

• Sad 1

Rent and try where do you like 

is not easy give the answer to who watch the distance with google map and may be don t know the island very well.

Different was if you need to buy

From Nai harn for sure you need to forget of the patong night life.....

Edited by siriweith