Visa Confusion

On 6/18/2021 at 1:38 AM, Tanoshi said:

What @ubonjoe meant was you can only obtain a Non Imm O-A Visa from your Home Country or a Country where you have residency status.

Previously as a UK national you were also an EU citizen and had the right of residence anywhere within the EU. Since Brexit, you are no longer an EU citizen and unless you have 'permanent residency' status in Portugal, you'll now find the Non Imm O-A Visa is only available from the Thai Embassy in London.

Not quite correct !  I was previously a " resident tax payer in France " but I "officially" gave up my residence status in France when I moved to Thailand and thus became a " non resident of France " .   I had already become a "non resident of the UK " previous to that .  As a UK "National " ,I do of course still have the "right of residency "in the UK and before Brexit , the right of residency in the EU.

So when you state one can only obtain a Non Imm O-A from a country where one has residency status ie the EU prior to Brexit , that is therefore incorrect for myself since I officially became "non resident " several years ago .    

24 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Not quite correct !  I was previously a " resident tax payer in France " but I "officially" gave up my residence status in France when I moved to Thailand and thus became a " non resident of France " .   I had already become a "non resident of the UK " previous to that .  As a UK "National " ,I do of course still have the "right of residency "in the UK and before Brexit , the right of residency in the EU.

So when you state one can only obtain a Non Imm O-A from a country where one has residency status ie the EU prior to Brexit , that is therefore incorrect for myself since I officially became "non resident " several years ago .    

You were still an EU citizen regardless, it stated so on your Passport.

Get a new Passport now and your a British national, O-A Visas only from London.

On 6/17/2021 at 6:13 AM, ubonjoe said:

That was added to the requirements when the started allowing those on non-o visas based upon retirement to enter the country last year due to covid 19.

It is only needs to be valid for 90 day to apply for a non-o visa since that is your length of stay.

1. If after the 90 days I apply for the one-year extension of the non-o, what sort of insurance is now required?

2. Also, how many times am I allowed to do these one-year extensions of the non-o?

3. How does it work if I want to leave the country and return during the first 90 days, or if I want to leave and return during the extension period?

And if during the extension period I want to leave and return multiple times how does it work?  I recall when I had a non-B I think I applied separately for a multiple reentry permit.  What I’m getting at is that I’m not sure if reentry is gotten with the visa or with the extension or separately.

6 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

1. If after the 90 days I apply for the one-year extension of the non-o, what sort of insurance is now required?

None. No Insurance is required for a 1 year extension from a Non O Visa.

Note, you are not extending the Visa, you are extending the 90 day permission of stay granted from the 90 day entry of the Non O for a further 365 days.

The extension is a permit (of stay).

You can apply to extend your stay at least up to 30 days before your 90 day permission of stay ends.

9 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

2. Also, how many times am I allowed to do these one-year extensions of the non-o?

Every year, continuously, provided you meet the financial requirements.

12 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

3. How does it work if I want to leave the country and return during the first 90 days, or if I want to leave and return during the extension period?

You purchase a separate re-entry permit, to protect your permission of stay.

On re-entry you will be granted any remaining permission of stay up to the expiry date of your extension.

15 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

And if during the extension period I want to leave and return multiple times how does it work?

You can purchase a single re-entry permit for 1,000 baht, or a multiple re-entry permit for 3,800 baht which are valid for each period of stay.

23 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

What I’m getting at is that I’m not sure if reentry is gotten with the visa or with the extension or separately.

In Thailand the validity of a Visa is different than the permission of stay.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or longer. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.

The period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 or 365 days from the arrival date. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for an extensions of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau located in the provinces.

11 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You were still an EU citizen regardless, it stated so on your Passport.

Get a new Passport now and your a British national, O-A Visas only from London.

so what you really meant was "citizen or nationality" status NOT resident status !