Need a laptop for a Thai 20's woman for college

Old Fool

53 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

I would defo buy new locally. I went to Central westgate and got mine - there was a big range to choose from the many IT stores there and prices starting from as little as 10k from memory. They also brought me to a shop that loaded all the apps on that I needed for my work and when I had a problem (virus) they sorted it for me. Also came with a one year guarantee. Not sure why you would even consider a second hand to be honest.

How is any of this useful when the OP is in the USA and where did you read that they were considering buying second hand?

10 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I meant the OP is in the USA and the recipient is in Thailand...he will not be buying anything in the USA..... and he won't be browsing IT Malls in Thailand for second hand items....sigh. Seems no one really follows the thread.

The OP specifically mentioned purchasing it at a physical store in Thailand.  Seems we have a pot calling the kettle black situation here.

Edited by shdmn

1.  She should be able to get, or you order, a new computer within that price range.

2.  Does she really want a laptop?  Our grandchildren had but never took to collage.  Perhaps a mini PC such as LarkBox Pro attached to TV would work better.

3.  Most cheaper computers here are still sold with HDD rather than much faster SSD so watch that.  HDD sucks for computers that are turned on and off often.

4.  Computers seem to be falling out of favor as smart phones are taking over - that is what most want now.

1 minute ago, Andy from Kent said:

Thank goodness, that wasn't too hard..

?? Remember that newer laptops have the battery INSIDE the laptop. How will the OP purchase a second hand laptop and have it sent to the recipient? What about a warranty if something goes wrong?

Second hand is not a good suggestion in this case.