Can I do additional work if I have a WP?

I came across article saying that a law was pushed during the emergency decree allowing foreigners with WP to do addintional jobs not specified in the document.

Can someone please post details? I cannot find anything on that topic. Can I start 1 person company? Can I be employed by my gfs company? Can I work as a contractor in Thailand legally?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-work-permit-rules-confirmed-by-phuket-employment-office-chief-68463.php

No one will know and neither will you until you're busted and the law is brought to bear.

I'm inclined to think that things would be smoother if the company and work are the same or similar.

I would further venture to say that if you're doing something that a Thai would typically do and that foreigners really would never be work permitted for then you are in dangerous territory.

If you're doing work outside the province in which you are initially permitted that's also a huge problem.

Further, if I were an employer and I got a call from the ministry of labor and my employee was having some issues with working illegally for a company on the side that employee better be extremely special to me for me both to do anything for them and for me to continue their employment.

Edited by kynikoi

18 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

I cannot find anything on that topic. Can I start 1 person company? Can I be employed by my gfs company? Can I work as a contractor in Thailand legally?

You have to be working for a company registered in Thailand with 2 million baht of registered capital. You can only own 49% of the company. You need to have 4 Thai employees to get the work permit.

5 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

I just want to explore my options as far as starting a company or/and doing freelance work in my field(software) goes.

You can not just work as a freelancer, because you can't register a personal business.

But it should be possible to start your own company, or be employed in a business of a friend/wife, then without the requirement to have 2/4 Thai employees.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You need to have 4 Thai employees to get the work permit.

He has a work permit already.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

I have a work permit, I don't want to start company to get it. I want to use my current WP to do other jobs/make my life easier when starting a business.

I have a friend here that runs a software company. It should be perfectly legal for him to employ me with my current WP and then me running my contracts thru his company?

Or my gf starting a 1 person business and basicly me being one and only guy working there doing all the work for all the money.

Did I just cheat the system?

Edited by Kalorymetr