Thai tourism set for sluggish reboot as Phuket stutters on 'sandbox'

snoop1130

11 hours ago, jesimps said:

Guarantee that 20% are farang long-stay visa holders returning to their homes and families via Phuket. It's a better option than a quarantine hotel in Bangkok.

Great ....The plan works well for the returnees planning to stay long time in Thailand.

they will be few of them.

The idea of this plan is for the tourism masses to come to Thailand.. that will not happened

10 hours ago, simon43 said:
11 hours ago, Thailand said:

Not maybe, racist definitely!

As KB comments, is speaking the truth racism?  Sorry if the truth hurts

Don't feel too bad.  They say the same thing about westerners, the Japanese, and Koreans.  And TVF is chock full of posters who seem to despise everyone who didn't grow up in the culture of their little slice of heaven (that they moved to Thailand to escape).

If you don't like other cultures, I'd suggest staying home.  With all the tourist money pouring in from the "uncivilized" brown and yellow countries, they won't miss our $$$.  And they sure won't miss the condescension.

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, sekmet said:

High season might only be 50% capacity.

There's a lot more places to go with more sensible rules, lower prices and better infrastructure.

Let's at least put it into the right perspective.  Thailand has a No Tourist season...not even close to a low season and a hell of a lot further away from a high season.  Yep No Season sums it up.

• Like 2

i am holding off on cancelling my august reservation in case they come to their senses and drop the absurd requirements,  the odd thing is the price of my previously booked room has gone up 33% since i booked, guess they truly expect/hope  more tourists are on the way

Should be interesting.

My wife and stayed 10 days at the Pullman Arcadia Nathon Beach.  We loved it mostly because it wasn't packed with Chinese tour groups and rip off touts.  We got home just before the third wave and Songkran.  If you can the best time to travel to these tourist traps because its idealic at the moment.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:25 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Where has sand ever been smooth.  Why is the paper you use to clean objects before you paint them called Sandpaper?, I don't thing they can smooth out the plan with all of the grit they have thrown in, it will be a rough sand road ahead..... 

My cat uses his sandbox all the time!????????????????

23 hours ago, outsider said:

Essentially, they've just turned Phuket into a large quarantine centre, that is all. Then there is the mandatory quarantine back in the visitors' home countries to think about...

Taking everything into consideration, having your quarantine on an island is way costlier than in a hotel room!

Phuket is unlikely costlier than an ASQ.  I can't figure out how you calculate that - as there are hotels available in Phuket that are SHA Plus that are much cheaper than the typical ASQ hotel.  There are inexpensive good restaurants in Phuket where one can eat that is FAR less expensive (and tastes much superior) than the jacked up prices for food in an ASQ hotel.

I note an ASQ one is not allowed alcohol.   I have a friend who during his stay in an ASQ hotel, could not even order yogurt for the 1st five days in the ASQ hotel.  In an ASQ one can not bring a guest to one's room.  In an ASQ one can not go to a restaurant. 

Even thou bars will remain closed all across Thailand, it looks very likely in Phuket, restaurants will be allowed to serve alcohol, given Phuket's low daily # of new COVID cases.

As for not leaving the island, over the years, I have had friends visit me in Phuket, who never left the island of Phuket.  So staying on the island is not a show stopper for everyone.

IMHO Phuket is superior to practically any Hotel ASQ in both price and freedom - however - it still is far from ideal. 

As you note, if one comes from a country with strict quarantine requirements, ... as noted, returning to one's country could be difficult.  

I like the 'sandbox' name giving by the Thai authorities to Phuket, as I believe it is intended to be a very cautious 'test' opening - an opening when there is still a global pandemic raging and the successful or failure of Phuket, from a pandemic perspective, will be assessed.

Edited by oldcpu