Receiving Bank OTP while out of Country, no Thai phone

On 6/20/2021 at 11:42 AM, afternoon1440 said:

I have been playing email tag with Kasikorn since I received the PIN2 email.

I work offshore, and there is very rarely a mobile phone network, so it's impossible to receive a OTP SMS.

I'm hoping Kasikorn can come up with a solution as this will affect a number of people.

Could u get a cheap phone with thai sim leave it with a trusted person then when u get Otp  ask that perspn to email u the number !!!

On 6/20/2021 at 7:42 AM, afternoon1440 said:

I have been playing email tag with Kasikorn since I received the PIN2 email.

I work offshore, and there is very rarely a mobile phone network, so it's impossible to receive a OTP SMS.

I'm hoping Kasikorn can come up with a solution as this will affect a number of people.

I have used Kasikorn for many years and never needed an OTP.  It may have been an option selected for no verification when I set up the account or maybe can be clicked off in the app menu.

All I can attest is there is a way the OTP is not needed. 

Matter of fact, Bangkok Bank never sends an OTP either.  It must have been option I selected for both way back when opening the accounts or maybe setting up the apps.  Just don't remember.

As always, TIT so YMMV.

21 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

I have used Kasikorn for many years and never needed an OTP.  It may have been an option selected for no verification when I set up the account or maybe can be clicked off in the app menu.

All I can attest is there is a way the OTP is not needed. 

Matter of fact, Bangkok Bank never sends an OTP either.  It must have been option I selected for both way back when opening the accounts or maybe setting up the apps.  Just don't remember.

As always, TIT so YMMV.

This is a new  KBank measure improving  its security, and rightly so with so much online fraud. Other Thai banks will probably follow. I doubt if there will be an opt-out. UK banks have been forced to do the same in the past year.

I received this reply today from KBank Bangkok:

First of all, we truly apologize for the inconvenience, according to your inquiry regarding the K-Cyber Banking Static Password (PIN2), we would like to inform you that recently the bank is aware to the security of the customer by canceling the Static Password (PIN2) and request for the customer uses SMS-OTP to approve the transaction instead.

At the moment, the K-Cyber Banking is supported only the mobile phone number registered in Thailand only, anyhow, if you would like to change the mobile phone number, you can follow the processes as shown below:

1. In the case that you are in Thailand:
 You can complete the process by contact any Kasikornbank branch, and please bring the required documents as follows;

- A valid passport
- Passbook
- K-Cyber Banking / K-Cyber for SME Changing Profile Request Form (the bank’s staff will assist you in preparing this form.)

Normally, the process takes about 3 days after submitted the required documents at the bank branch. And you will receive the email notification to inform the result.

2. In the case that you are in an overseas, and you have another Thai mobile phone number:
You can prepare supporting documents as following;

A copy of the 1st page of your valid passport
A copy of the latest page of passport which there are immigration stamps of arrival and  departure
A copy of last month invoice bill such as: electric bill, water bill, and telephone bill of your living country that showed your name and your overseas address.
A copy of 1st page of your passbook
K-Cyber Banking / K-Cyber for SME Changing Profile Request Form (please see the attached file)

** All submitted documents must be signed with your signature that is matched with the signature on your Kasikornbank passbook.

Please send your documents to [email protected], the capacity of the file must not exceed 5 MB and must be PDF or .JPG file only. The process takes about 5 working days after we received all of your documents correctly. Then you will receive the email notification.

Remark; The mobile phone number in K-Cyber Banking system must be only Thai mobile phone number, it cannot be changed to overseas mobile phone number.

3. In the case that you are in an overseas, but you do not have a Thai mobile phone number:
If you have relatives, or you know someone who are living in Thailand, we do suggest you inform someone sends the available Thai mobile phone number SIM card to you in overseas, or let someone receive the SMS for approving the transaction for you from Thailand by changing the mobile phone number from overseas followed the process as above (2.).

Anyhow, in the case that you have not processed for changing the mobile phone number within 17/07/2021, the bank will change the system to SMS-OTP automatically.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Should you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact K-Contact Center at Tel. (66) 2888 8800 or email us at [email protected] 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Yours Sincerely,
K-Contact Center
KASIKORNBANK PCL.,

A clear and comprehensive reply I think. I did ask if an email alternative was possible  but obviously not as it is not mentioned here.

I just received another email from them asking also for a signed copy of the sheet of toilet paper that I wiped my a r s e with this morning.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Thanks 1

SunsetT, I have received the exact same reply from Kasikorn.

I replied that with no mobile phone networks there solutions won't work for me, and it would be good if they could send the OTP's via email. Apparently that has been forwarded to the relevant department.

It looks like my 12 year old daughter is going to get the responsibility of receiving my OTP's while I'm at work.