Food Poisoning

jeebusjones

On my last trip back form Bkk to the Uk I had a nice attatck of food posioning, both ends had simultaneous "eruptions" and it sure as hel_l closed up one of the planes toilets for sometime. The air hostess was not impressed maybe I should have let it all go in the aisle??

Pulled a face at me when I asked for some water too!!!!!

Dont know what Id eaten but I dont want it again, on top of all of that it was my honeymoon!!

Here's one ... not for the books but for other people to think about.

There is something in canned milk<in Thailand> that makes me sick every time ... nothing major or long lasting ... but sick.

I finally figured out about canned milk after having had this happen often ... almost always in the morning. I would have a couple of cans of coffee ... yes cans .... and after an hour ... run off to the bathroom. So ok .. it is the coffee ... then have coffee at a street stall ... again off to the bathroom in an hour.

Now it doesn't click because it is never serious and I drink coffee often and at places that use fresh milk I never ever have an issue. <ie Starbucks, Black Canyon, Coffee World or local places> I got my final proof when I had a meal with a cheese sauce (really good!) and yes .. in an hour ..... I went back and asked if they used condensed milk or canned milk in it and yeppers!

Note ... this is NOT really food poisoning (and not lactose intolerance) but canned milk gives me a case of (as so eleoquently put above --- ) "the squirts"

i have been travelling asia for many many years and ( touch wood ) have never had food poisoning as such.

had a case of the squirts up in the mountains of nepal once, and once when i was living on koh phangan in the middle of the hot season ( april and fly related).

not a problem and all over in a day.

ive back packed india 3 times, cambodia, laos , bali and every other bleeding place. :D

i think the difference is that you will never catch me dead in a farang food restaurant or eating any fast food crap. :D

i will walk 400 miles to eat with the locals at street stalls or where ever there are local people.

the food is cooked fresh and right there in front of me and i love it.

eating with the thais on the street is a pleasure, as its cheap, fresh and healthy and looking at the cracking thai girls just makes it taste better. :o

on my return to the western world im feeling great and always lose a few kilo.

anyway punters,

i cant wait to move permanent and eat asian food full on, as i recon it will add ten years to my life, thats as long as a bloody soi dog dont bight me under the tables. :D

thank you very much. :D

terence

its also not uncommon for people to get a bad dose of food poisoning from 5 star hotels.

i mean when you cant see what there cooking anything can happen.

ive been told first hand of young dudes working &lt;deleted&gt; jobs at kentucky fried chicken and spitting in the gravy and burgers. :D

make sure you dont go there punters. :o

.....and every other bleeding place. :D

For the benefit of the audience...the other bleeding places are: kalgoorlie, Geraldton, Broome, Bunburry and Alabany, in where he only ate fish and chips!!! :o

i think the difference is that you will never catch me dead in a farang food restaurant or eating any fast food crap.

Ask yourself, why do so many people head specifically to McDonalds to use a nice clean toilet?

ok mate, i'll the give you the top answer for 25 points, :o

the reason is, that most of them are fat bastar-ds and there knees give out whilst there trying to back one out on an asian squatter. :D:bah:

myself being a fit person of the correct weight will always drop a richard the third in the squatter and never have to set foot in one of those crap macdonalds restaurant's. :o

its beyond me why a punter would possdibly eat that &lt;deleted&gt; fast food bollicks when there is brilliant thai tucker to get into. :D

it gives me food poisoning just thinking about it. :D

i was in china last year and the macdonald and kentucky fried chicken restaurants were every where.

they were chocka full as well and you could just see a whole generation of kids growing up eating that &lt;deleted&gt;. :D

should be banned those places.

eat local and fresh is the path to nirvana. ;)

thank you very much, :bah:

terence

.....and every other bleeding place. :bah:

For the benefit of the audience...the other bleeding places are: kalgoorlie, Geraldton, Broome, Bunburry and Alabany, in where he only ate fish and chips!!! :D

got to tell you torito that the only sea food i like is chips. :D :D

also its bloody bunbury and albany. :o

thank you very much. :D

terence

its also not uncommon for people to get a bad dose of food poisoning from 5 star hotels
It's far more common for people to get a bad dose of food poisoning from places that take little or no precautions when it comes to food safety, such as street vendors or locally run restaurants.
ive been told first hand of young dudes working &lt;deleted&gt; jobs at kentucky fried chicken and spitting in the gravy and burgers.
I've seen, first hand, with my own eyes, Thai street vendors smoking during food preparation, not washing utensils correctly, using the same utensils for cooked and uncooked meats, not washing hands after using the toilet, picking nose while doing food prep, etc, etc, etc.

There's a risk everywhere you go, but by being informed and aware you can lessen the risk.

mate, if you keep banging your head like that you are going to hurt yourself. :o

anyway, all those unhygenic practises you mention are normal and its been like that for millinium.

nothing has changed, and i must tell you, i have never ever been sick eating off a street stall and no one seem's to be worried, considering the amount of business they get.

if you are scared to eat with the locals you are wasting your time being in asia as thats where you will get some truly wonderful food. every night you will find me at one of these places. :D

thank you very much :D

terence

Worst case i had was last year in pattaya song kran time ,, had 3 days of water throwing then 4th day really ill ,, had to fly back to the uk , after the 7th day (seat near the loo) ,walked in to the local hospital and told them where id been including issan ,next thing im in isolation for 8 days barrier nursing the full works ,even gave me nicorette patches , in the end,doc said it was poisoning from the water, from the big pots and pools, peeps used as they ran out of clean water ,,, i went from 34inch waist to 32 :o

I have had food poisoning several times over the past 20 years in Thailand but the worst ones were 19 years ago in Bangkok after a visit to a restaurant called Jules, it transpired didn’t even have a fridge to keep food fresh. :o

5 days of agony, :D one trip to hospital, who gave me the wrong medicine and then a trip to the local doctor who diagnosed the problem and cured me very quickly. :D

The next really violent illness was about 3 years ago after staying and eating in the Dianna inn in Pattaya, my illness was not an isolated incident, many of the other residents were also struck down and the doctors were in and out all night and the following day.

Not only residents were ill but friends of ours who live in Pattaya and who we had invited to join us for a ''Dianna inn buffet evening meal'' were very very sick.

The doctor who treated me said that he loved the Dianna and said that he made a lot of money out of their customers, regularly. :D

I no longer stay there and have had no more problems.

Last year while shopping in Udon Thani, we went to a street resturant, very clean, looked good ect, ordered food and drinks ect, anyway, i needed a leak, the waitress took me to the toilet, through the kitchen? then into toilet, it was full off mossies, there was shit and paper in the water {for cleaning} and nowhere to wash hands, it was obvious the kitchen staff used this toilet too, because looking round, i coudnt see another toilet, needless to say, i didnt bother with the food, went next door and had a beer and packet of peanuts.

So perhaps a good idea to check toilet before you order??

Cheers, Lickey.

After almost three years in Thailand, today I have my first real case of food poisoning. I feel terrible, and I know exactly what caused it. Just thinking about that dodgy "kow moo yang" I ate lastnight makes me sick.

Looks like I'll be spending the day in bed recovering.

Anyway, in my experience food poisoning is suprisingly low here. A few months ago, my girlfriend had a bad case and had to spend the day in the hospital with an IV. But aside from that, I haven't really seen a serious case, until today.

What do you think? Has it happened to you, and how often?

Never had it in LOS, but VERY bad case in India. Fortunately I had some 'CYPROFLOXIN 500mg' tablets with me that I had bought on the advice of the docs column in the Daily Telegraph some months previously. Readily available at all chemist and they WORK, can't recommend them enough if you REALLY have food poisoning and its coming out of both ends at once. I was as right as rain in 24 hours. Bought some recently here in LOS and 15 tablets cost about 70baht :o .

To the best of my knowledge have never had food poinsoning here after 6 years. But then dont really know what the symptoms are.

After I first moved here would regularly get bad cases diareah, that I thought might have been just too much sun, but then maybe the food. Guess I'm lucky.