buying house with Thai wife - marital vs personal property

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

What you suggest is one way but what is the value of the house if you don't own the land it sits on?.

The house as such is not important.

Ideally, in a divorce, she would get both the house and the land, but I can walk away with my 50% of my net worth, i.e. financial assets (rather than only 25%). She would certainly want to sell the house and land because her family lives in Issan, far away from the coast. So she can convert the house to cash, and I'd have the other half of my assets. I suppose she would accept this solution.

I'm more thinking in the direction of: her future lawyer may tell her that according to Thai law she can get much more than 50% of my assets, and her family urges her that she must grasp everything she can.

3 hours ago, h3ith said:

I'm more thinking in the direction of: her future lawyer may tell her that according to Thai law she can get much more than 50% of my assets, and her family urges her that she must grasp everything she can.

All the more reason to have your share secured rather than relying on a court decision .

7 hours ago, sead said:

So to make this clear to you. 

Usufruct or not. If its in your wife's name you will probably lose if she sells the house. Usufruct is only valid as long as she doesn't sell the land. When land is sold to brother, or any family member you're screwed. Buy a condominium or a house in only your name would be the best choice for you since you ask these questions. 

Please correct me someone if I'm wrong. 

My understanding is that if there is a usufruct then it still applies to the new owner of the property.

7 hours ago, sead said:

Usufruct or not. If its in your wife's name you will probably lose if she sells the house. Usufruct is only valid as long as she doesn't sell the land. When land is sold to brother, or any family member you're screwed. Buy a condominium or a house in only your name would be the best choice for you since you ask these questions. 

My understanding is that if there is a usufruct then it still applies to the new owner of the property.

7 hours ago, sead said:

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Most do the company route, then its basically one asset to worry about, ie: the 50/50 owned company.

A divorce means wind up the company and sell its assets.

I thought about doing this myself but every know and then, there is a crackdown on "dodgy" companies..

22 hours ago, h3ith said:

The house as such is not important.

Ideally, in a divorce, she would get both the house and the land, but I can walk away with my 50% of my net worth, i.e. financial assets (rather than only 25%). She would certainly want to sell the house and land because her family lives in Issan, far away from the coast. So she can convert the house to cash, and I'd have the other half of my assets. I suppose she would accept this solution.

Out of curiosity why would you tell her about your other ‘assets’ ? You should never show all your cards to anyone . Just get a mortgage in her name and pay it . 

Edited by chrisandsu