Loud bang heard, green light seen in Thailand’s North could be a bolide

webfact

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivZIAMWErBfxvOCakkhNqdlgneosmlN8vIqtZuC.jpg

The mysterious explosive sound and turquoise glow seen and photographed in northern Thailand on Tuesday evening could be a bolide, a kind of very bright meteor, said the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT).

The loud bang was heard in Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Phayao, Mae Hong Son and Lampang provinces, while several netizens posted images of the light moving from west to east last night.

No damage or injuries have been reported, according to the Thai authorities. A meteor that enters Earth’s atmosphere normally catches fire at an altitude of 80-120 kilometres and occasionally causes a sonic boom, in the same way a supersonic plane does. This would explain why the light was seen before a loud bang was heard.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/loud-bang-heard-green-light-seen-in-thailands-north-could-be-a-bolide/

Logo-top-.png

Loud bang…..good chance it ruptured and broke up, dropping lots of stones in a cigar shaped “strewn field”. 
       They’d be worth a fortune in the meteorite collecting community in the world, depending on size, and type.  Some types are worth more than gold and diamonds weight for weight. 
    If there have been several photos of it in the sky taken from various locations,, then triangulation can be done to determine fall area. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Loud bang…..good chance it ruptured and broke up, dropping lots of stones in a cigar shaped “strewn field”. 
       They’d be worth a fortune in the meteorite collecting community in the world, depending on size, and type.  Some types are worth more than gold and diamonds weight for weight. 
    If there have been several photos of it in the sky taken from various locations,, then triangulation can be done to determine fall area. 

Thank you, you sound as though you know a bit about this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Ah.... loud bangs. Don't you just love 'em?

Might be heard over Phuket next month?

Maybe it was the first express transport heading south full of Issan service agents relocating to open-up in July?

Edited by hotchilli

33 minutes ago, nervona81732 said:

Most of the gem-valuable meteorites are the Pallasites. They contain green crystals (olivine) embedded in iron-nickel mixture.  The green flash is usually from a magnesium containing meteoroid. The larger multi-kilogram range are rare but if you find one you'll get rich overnight something like $200+per gram. These images are the raw pallasite meteorite and a cut polished fragment.

PallasiteMeteoritesForSaleSPACE GEMS, SPACE JEWELRY, SPACE GEM, PALLASITE, PALLASITES, PALLASITE  METEORITE, METEORITE JEWELRY, METEORITE RING, METEORITE NECKLACE

As to their origin, this is still being debated but being part of the core of a parent body is probably the most accepted in the astronomical literature.

• Like 1

The word bolide (/ˈbld/; Italian via Latin from the Greek βολίς bolís, 'missile'[2][3]) does not have a single unambiguous definition. It refers to somewhat different phenomena depending on the context in which the word appears, and readers may need to make inferences to determine which meaning is intended in a particular publication.

Who knew?

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The mysterious explosive sound and turquoise glow seen and photographed in northern Thailand on Tuesday evening could be a bolide

The Big Bang Theory 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 4:20 AM, nervona81732 said:

I’ve been a collector for years. Studied Meteoritics, been on meteorite recovery teams with Professor Dr. Phil McCausland: Earth and Planetary Studies, Western University, and Dr. Hildebrand (co-discoverer of the Chicxulub dinosaur killer crater) 

I was good enough at identifying meteorites from ordinary rocks that they put me in charge of one of the search and recovery groups. 
At my age now, I’ve sold off most of my collection, including some very rare types, (including a small slice of NWA 482 and Zagami) and kept only a few for memory. 

Edited by Catoni
Correction
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:52 AM, webfact said:

mysterious explosive sound and turquoise glow seen and photographed in northern Thailand on Tuesday evening could be a bolide

Could also have been a HiSo Merc' striking a bollard at very high speed .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp

I heard and saw the hi-so party fireworks to the NE of my loc around 9pm. After that, music on, aircon up, fwb knickers down and off to the races. I never even heard the rain start.

Edited by chalawaan