Procedure for Death Certificate (UK citizen)

What is the procedure of registering the death of a UK falang, married to a Thai and living in Pattaya? 

The reason for me asking is that my Thai wife will qualify for a percentage of my UK company pension

after she supplies the necessary documented \ translated proof of my death and forwarding this to

my pension provider in the United Kingdom.

Any help afforded to me will be greatly appreciated regarding getting a death certificate  (& etc).

The translation part of any documents - (from Thai to English) - is easy ..... take everything down to 

Soi Post Office to "KT International" – (a few meters up from Beach Road). 

Edited by ubonjoe
edited title for to show nationality
  • Like 1

You should contact your Pension provider and ask about their procedure to claim a widows pension for your wife after your demise.

Your wife probably wouldn't be able to communicate directly with your Pension provider, so you need to nominate someone to deal with it.

I've already supplied my Pension provider with copies of my wife's ID, marriage certificate and Thai Will, originals and translations. My daughter in the UK is nominated as a person they can deal with on my wife's behalf.

They just need a letter from my wife authorising my daughter to act on her behalf after I decease. The letter is drafted and signed, just needs dating and my daughter has the authorization letter. She also has full details of my wife, her bank account and any other necessary information she may require to deal with the Pension company.

Like @Shannoblic I've also prepared instruction packs for both my wife (translated) and my daughter of who, what, where, when.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

My pension company wanted a copy of our original Thai wedding certificte and a stamped translation thereof and the same with my wife's birth certificate.  They acknowledged receipt by email and returned them later with a letter confirming the amount of her eventual widow's pension.  I keep a copy of that letter with the package I've prepared for her when I go.

• Like 1

Upon your death she must contact the British Embassy and inform them.

They are responsible for carrying out a post mortem prior to the body being released for cremation here in Thailand.

I would expect any hospital in Pattaya to be aware of this procedure, it's not necessarily the case here in Isaan, as I have experienced when a friend passed away.

I would assume the death certificate is issued to her upon completion of the above.

• Confused 2

22 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Hi Bill,

Have you registered your wife with your pension company and obtained a certificate from them [letter format] stating she is entitled?

I did this a few years ago while sorting out my affairs and am quite comfortable with it.  I have made sure my family in England have a copy and will help my wife when the need arises.  The certificate of 'dependent adult entitlement' can make things much easier.

I have prepared an 'Emergency Pack' for use at my demise and would share the contents with you if you pm me.

I would be grateful for the informaion, as I am in a similar situation.

• Like 1

I doubt whether the British Embassy is responsible for carrying out a post mortem.  They might be responsible for deciding whether a pm is necessary. But they certainly are responsible for issuing a letter to release the body for disposal.

Farag99,

Like Tanoshi I prepared an 'Emergency Pack' which has the following sections:

1. Will - this is a UK style will [which after posting a thread here I am preparing a Thai style one].  This also includes my wishes for body disposal.

2. My personal details - DoB, place of birth, NI Number, marital status, Thai address, UK address

3. Life support statement - a written [and witnessed statement saying I do not want to be put on life support if recovery is doubtful]

4. Copies of marriage certificate [married to a Thai]

5. Private pension scheme letter [certificate] entitling my wife to continue to receive my private pension [at the reduced rate of the scheme for a dependent adult].  This was easily obtained by phone calls and emails. 

6. Contact list - a list of contacts both in the UK and Thailand, including family members, UK solicitor, UK bank accounts etc. [wife has Thai bank accounts details already]

7. Suggested procedures for contacting the contacts and what to say

8. Copies of current Thai documents - extension of stay etc.

9. Copies of important documents - passport etc.

10. Instructions [advice] to my daughters as how to handle matters and authority to act as Executors, including bank account closures etc..

I should also add that I do not have any assets in the UK - my pensions are paid into my UK account and then transferred here via WISE, so apart from a very little money in the UK accounts there is nothing to sort out.  Also, my Thai assets [house, car etc.] are already in the wife's name so no issues there.

Hope this helps - and may I add, that like Tanoshi, I feel better having something in place so my wife is not left 'high & dry'.  It's not perfect but it does make me feel better.

• Thanks 1

I am a Brit with a Thai wife and so have similar considerations to the original poster.

A matter that bothers me but as yet I haven't had the opportunity to investigate is whether or not my company pension provider will need a national insurance number and UK tax code before they will be able to make payments to my wife/widow.  I strongly suspect that they need both.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience or knowledge of the situation regarding these possible requirements.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 6:23 AM, Andycoops said:

They are responsible for carrying out a post mortem prior to the body being released for cremation here in Thailand.

I would expect any hospital in Pattaya to be aware of this procedure, it's not necessarily the case here in Isaan, as I have experienced when a friend passed away.

I would assume the death certificate is issued to her upon completion of the above.

I was under the impression that informing the embassy and carrying out the PM was the responsibility of the Thai police. The body will be released from the hospital on their say so.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:23 AM, Andycoops said:

Sorry mate, but i think you are mistaken in what you say.

Recently i contacted the British embassy consular team...Messaged them on here, regarding what my wife should do on my death, and they said, my wife does not need to contact the embassy for permission for cremation

Edited by colinneil
  • Sad 1