How do you lower the cost of car ownership in Thailand?

10 years ago I looked at importing two 1970's British classics. The cost was prohibitive as was the paperwork. Gave it up as a bad job and let them go for a song in the UK. I believe now the rules and duties are even more stringent.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Full service history is pretty much meaningless. My sister in law never changes the oil on her Fortuner, she just drives it and drives it until the engines seizes, pays for the repairs, and then repeats the process.

Her car does not have a full service history, then.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 10:14 AM, brianthainess said:

There is a big upsides to buying a second hand car in Thailand, although the cost is high, No snow or ice, so no salt on the roads no rusted out chassis. (unless you drive on a beach). Fuel/road tax/insurance is relatively cheap compared to many countries, and you can get a professional gas conversion to reduce costs even further. 

But, resale would be a very limited market, i.e. Thailand. No-one, outside of Thailand would reimburse the applied tax paid in Thailand.  Unless it's something; really, really special.

A temporary import requires a 'bond' to be paid. Probably to the full 'import' cost of the vehicle. Yet, isn't applicable to 'private' imports.

Have seen some vehicles (primarily Chinese) that have been granted 'passports' (which I presume are) in relation to some kind of personal 'entry' visa.

Fun cars I've considered in recent months have been the; the Lotus Evija (at 3,500,00 - 4,000,000 THB) and the Maserati Granturismo ( at 15,000,000 THB). Opted for US muscle. Something I can maintain myself with parts from 'Rock Auto' (plus tax). They supply, 'all the parts I'll ever need'.