How do you lower the cost of car ownership in Thailand?

22 hours ago, Exp12345 said:

<snip>what’s wrong with temporarily importing a “fun” car for a few months out of the year? 

Do you mean one of those little clown cars? ????????honkhonk.

Probably easier to build one yourself or get one from Alibaba or here’s an idea, buy a circus when you get to Thailand, that’ll fix your accomodation issues too. 

23 hours ago, Exp12345 said:

Yes I understand he said that but from a financial and personal joy standpoint, what’s wrong with temporarily importing a “fun” car for a few months out of the year? 

Your Question was how to lower cost of ownership in Thailand, now you ask this question. temporarily importing a car ; pay freight, import tax, (and return freight) jeez you could buy a cheap car here for that money, and re-sell it when leaving. Is this a wind up?

21 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

Do you mean one of those little clown cars? ????????honkhonk.

Probably easier to build one yourself or get one from Alibaba or here’s an idea, buy a circus when you get to Thailand, that’ll fix your accomodation issues too. 

But there wouldn't be any clowns their all in Prayut's employ. 

There is a big upsides to buying a second hand car in Thailand, although the cost is high, No snow or ice, so no salt on the roads no rusted out chassis. (unless you drive on a beach). Fuel/road tax/insurance is relatively cheap compared to many countries, and you can get a professional gas conversion to reduce costs even further. 

• Like 1

Another thing to consider right now is cost and availability of containers.  I manufacture and ship 1000s of tons of goods out of Thailand every year, and import raw materials of similar volume from China and Taiwan.  Our freight costs for FCL are up well over 200%, and LCL shipments are nearly 300% compared to 2019.

We just loaded a container to USA East coast.   Over $15,000 USD!!!  Used to be well less than $5000 5 years ago.  And we had to wait more than 2 weeks for a container.

At those prices, you better be talking about some REALLY fun and valuable car and you would need to be wealthy enough that you aren't worried about 'reducing costs'

On 6/24/2021 at 1:37 PM, Henryford said:

The costs of running a car here are very low. Tax, insurance, gas, repairs etc. The only big cost is the depreciation of any car you buy. If you buy one for 300,000 and keep it 10 years not bad. If you buy for 1.5 million, a different story. If you buy a second hand pick up you could probably sell it in 2-3 years and only lose 100k or so.

When I purchased our car 6 years ago for 800k, I said to myself if it depreciates 100k a year, that's 274 baht per day not including petrol, oil changes, breaks, tyres etc, it would be worth it as I use it everyday, that said, I suppose when you add all of the costs, including the above and adding insurance, registration it would probably cost you 1,000 baht a day, that is still cheaper than renting a car and you are the one who knows the car as you drive it and maintain it, and my car is still like new in looks and feel, so you enjoy what you pay for.

The above said, would never buy 2nd hand, even with 20,000 kilometres on it and a year old, I know a guy who's speedo stopped working and of course it was still under warranty so he took into the dealership, not where he purchased it from and they told him, it's not the original speedo so those 20,000 kilometres could be 100,000 kilometres. Another guy blew his motor 3 months later, no warranty, so his 500k investment went out the window.

New, new, new, the 3 year warranty is worth the price you pay for the car, 6 years and still going strong with 200km's on the clock, regular oil changes every 15,000 klicks, tyres every 3 years, now getting around to changing the 1st lot of brakes ????

I posted this in another thread a while back, will paste here again as it is VERY pertinent.   Buyer beware!

Be very cautious about buying 2nd hand here.   My assistant at work had a Mitsu Triton she was trying to sell.  A dealer eventually bought it from her for surprisingly good money.  It was driven carefully and in very good condition, but had ~230k on the odometer when sold.

2 weeks later, while looking online for another car to buy, she found her truck for sale from same dealer with only ~130k on the odometer.  Had a photo of the odometer and everything.  It was a digital odometer, so even those are not infallible.

I would only buy 2nd hand here if I had a mechanic I 100% trusted to take care of the vehicle, or a place and tools of my own and plenty of time to tinker on the vehicle as I used to do at home.   I find it too hot here to work on vehicles and work and activities leave me with little time for it nowadays anyways.

23 hours ago, Exp12345 said:

Thanks for the response! What do you think about temporarily importing your car from the west? I assume you wouldn’t pay the huge 300% tax then correct ? 

They banned the import of second hand cars several years ago, which means that classic cars here are going up in value.  I know a few people who buy old cars here and restore them.  A friend just sold a restored Toyota Celica that he turned into a road and track car to do some racing.  

If you use Facebook check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/896773410671489

The car enthusiast scene here in Thailand is incredible.

32 minutes ago, WebGuy said:

The most viable way is to buy a good second hand car although it is also going to be more expensive than in the west but if it is in a good shape, you should be good.

There are amazing deals to be had on second hand cars if you know what you are doing.  Facebook market place is the place to look.  There are also very good mechanics and guys who can do all sorts of work on cars.
Don't believe what you hear about all Thai mechanics being cowboys.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I live in Bangkok. I think I've done about 15 km's in the last month and the same the month before. 2 x trips to my closest Makro. We live right at a BTS stop and across the road from a Big C super centre, so only (mainly) use the vehicle for out of city trips, of which there have been nil since April. Its very hard to justify vehicles in Bangkok, no doubt about that unless you commute to work and aren't near a transport hub.

Agree 100%.     Identical situation......... very convenient for the odd out of town trips......but at what cost!!!!

Very good deals to be had on second hand vehicles.

All of mine were purchased second hand, one because the model I wanted is no longer manufactured. Still own all 3 of them - no issues.

If you know about cars - good to go

If you do not know - find someone to check it out for you.

That old "Here is my story about a second hand car" is one experience from one owner, and sometimes he does not even own the car in question "I was told by my friend ..." 555

As with every purchase for anything - due diligence is required.

Or be at the mercy of new car dealers, and eat the depreciation

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

When I purchased our car 6 years ago for 800k, I said to myself if it depreciates 100k a year, that's 274 baht per day not including petrol, oil changes, breaks, tyres etc, it would be worth it as I use it everyday, that said, I suppose when you add all of the costs, including the above and adding insurance, registration it would probably cost you 1,000 baht a day, that is still cheaper than renting a car and you are the one who knows the car as you drive it and maintain it, and my car is still like new in looks and feel, so you enjoy what you pay for.

The above said, would never buy 2nd hand, even with 20,000 kilometres on it and a year old, I know a guy who's speedo stopped working and of course it was still under warranty so he took into the dealership, not where he purchased it from and they told him, it's not the original speedo so those 20,000 kilometres could be 100,000 kilometres. Another guy blew his motor 3 months later, no warranty, so his 500k investment went out the window.

New, new, new, the 3 year warranty is worth the price you pay for the car, 6 years and still going strong with 200km's on the clock, regular oil changes every 15,000 klicks, tyres every 3 years, now getting around to changing the 1st lot of brakes ????

The lost opportunity cost of capital mustn't be ignored.......800k in a good/lucky? fund could easily bring a return of 10-15% pa.

Also for city dwellers, renting a car is only for specific journeys.......not full rental.....just a thought.

Most new cars lose 50% of there resale value in the first three years......cheaper to buy three years old with a warranty package surely?

Edited by Surelynot

My wife and I just financed a new car. The banks are tossing out crazy deals right now. Red plates everywhere out here in the Issan sticks. Medium sized economy car, Japanese make, 20k down (about $800) and 8k baht a month (about $240). First class insurance for one year included, and a great warranty. I know people paying more than this to rent an old car.

36 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

My wife and I just financed a new car. The banks are tossing out crazy deals right now. Red plates everywhere out here in the Issan sticks. Medium sized economy car, Japanese make, 20k down (about $800) and 8k baht a month (about $240). First class insurance for one year included, and a great warranty. I know people paying more than this to rent an old car.

So you finally went with the car you can fit 10 circus clowns in....nice choice

image.png.5a3d77e939d2eacda06a655e142e0a0a.png

Edited by ThailandRyan

Don't listen to these guys. I know several people who have done this, and If you have the time, there is an easy three-step process to import your personnel vehicle, for your own use indefinitely. 

1. Get a job with the US Department of State

2. Work for twenty years to build seniority such that you can be reassigned to Thailand

3. The US Department of State will import your car at no cost to you. 

Easy peasey. Of course the steering will be on the wrong side, but who cares when you have a fun car?

In any event, if you cant have as much fun in a cheap car as you can in an expensive car you don't know how to have fun. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Is that a spare that goes in the boot?

I saw one yesterday driving down Sathon Thai Road, and I wondered where the hell they bought it.  When they stopped they parked in a parking stall at Makro and you could have put another 3 like it in the same parking stall.  I am sure my Condo would make me park it where the motorbikes are parked....lol

• Haha 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

I saw one yesterday driving down Sathon Thai Road, and I wondered where the hell they bought it.  When they stopped they parked in a parking stall at Makro and you could have put another 3 like it in the same parking stall.  I am sure my Condo would make me park it where the motorbikes are parked....lol

To be honest, if you only used it in the city as a city car....not a bad option.....looks sweet.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 10:58 AM, Kwasaki said:

Please come back and report how your getting on seeing as you don't seem to be listening. 

I do wish I had known this guy many years ago when I brought my two Jack Russell Terriers from Australia.

All the “ fun” with the Customs Department he could have saved me from to say nothing of the money.

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Doubt it is japanese made.

How do you lower the cost of car ownership in Thailand?

Easy!......................... Don't buy one!

or buy secondhand or look on bahtsold.com and take over one that a person is struggling to keep up the payments on. OK, You won't get your car of choice, but you will save heavily on the initial outlay.

If you have this fantastic amount of money as you say you have, to buy a supercar, then why are you looking for ways on here to reduce costs? It's all part and parcel of the showing off, is it not?

We are moving into the realms of ' If you have to ask, you can't afford it here '

The people driving the supercars around Bangkok, we know who many are and how the money is obtained, and it isn't through hard work in a lot of cases.