How do you lower the cost of car ownership in Thailand?

Hey all,

im looking at moving to Thailand in the future and I came across some blogs that mentioned the car prices in Thailand are insanely high. After doing some car shopping via foreign auto dealers in Bangkok, I was able to see how expensive they are compared to the west. My question is, is there any way I can “avoid” this astronomical car tax or at least lower it? If I buy a car in the west and then import it, will my taxes be lower on it versus just buying it from Thailand directly? Are there any “special” situations where you can import a car from the west without paying these high fees ? Has anyone just temporarily imported their car? (Less then 6 months) to avoid the car tax? I’m a huge car guy and it would hurt me to have to seriously downgrade my car in order to live in Thailand. 

any insight is appreciated, thanks

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Exp12345 said:

Thanks for the response! What do you think about temporarily importing your car from the west? I assume you wouldn’t pay the huge 300% tax then correct ? 

Honestly don't even consider it........... unless someone on here comes up with a foolproof plan and knows exactly what they are doing!!!! 

I tried when I first came out..... it really is a non-starter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Yes I understand he said that but from a financial and personal joy standpoint, what’s wrong with temporarily importing a “fun” car for a few months out of the year? 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Exp12345 said:

that mentioned the car prices in Thailand are insanely high.

They are not for locally produced cars (Thailand is a huge car manufacturing base for many International automakers) just for imports.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

“No taxes or import duties need to be paid in the case a foreign car is imported into Thailand for less than 6 months. You will need to pay a cash deposit or submit a bank guarantee that covers the amount of liable taxes and duties. This will be forfeited if the vehicle is not exported before the date indicated on the temporary import permit. Higher taxes and fines can also be awarded to importers who breach their temporary contract and extend their car’s stay in Thailand without further notice.

You will need the following documents to execute the importation:
1. The temporary import declaration form (6 copies in total)
2. The vehicle’s registration certificate
3. The passport or identification card of the owner of the vehicle.
4. An application form for the temporary import of the vehicle.
5. A proforma invoice or invoice
6. A certificate of legal entity
7. A re-export contract
8. Proof of power of attorney, if somebody other than the owner intends to drive the vehicle”

If I had realized it was that easy I would have done it.....555

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

If I had realized it was that easy I would have done it.....555

I’m just super into cars and they mean a lot to me, so even if it’s hard or difficult or a PITA, etc I will do whatever it takes to make it happen. I just don’t understand how you “can’t” temporarily import a car to Thailand. Maybe there are some agencies that will help me out I don’t know. 

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

totally forget about importing anything unless you are super wealthy. 

no car needed in Bangkok. 

20 year old cars are still expensive. 

adjust to no car like I did coming from Los Angeles the car capital of the world. 

still dream about my Porsche, Bronco, Jeep, Suburban. 

$20,000 USD gets you a new crossover. Suzuki Swift or Toyota thing whatever.

Ford pickup XLT $28,000 AT 4 door 2X4

Auto show in Bangkok  great place to look at cars usually in January. 

I live in Hua Hin seven years riding a Honda Click scooter and a Kawasaki Versys 650 motorcycle. now at 65 yo just considering a pick up truck. but again i would never drive a car if i lived in Bangkok. 

good luck. 

I have the money to buy a super car in Thailand, but I can’t fathom the idea of paying  $800k for a 570s or 911 Turbo when it could go towards a nicer condo or whatever. I still don’t understand why I can’t temporarily import. Maybe the people on here aren’t car huge  guys? There has to be a way to temporarily import..

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

Actually having a decent car here is no more expensive than in Europe. Whilst the initial cost is very high the depreciation and maintenance costs are nothing like Europe. 

True...........it is the lost opportunity cost of capital that is the killer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Exp12345 said:

Maybe there are some agencies that will help me out I don’t know. 

Possibly!!!!.........where there is a will....there might just be a way........at least for a temporary import ......pretty certain permanent imports were banned a couple of years ago........I approached four or five shippers and they all refused to even quote,

I have the money to buy a super car in Thailand, but I can’t fathom the idea of paying  $800k for a 570s or 911 Turbo when it could go towards a nicer condo or whatever. I still don’t understand why I can’t temporarily import. Maybe the people on here aren’t car huge  guys? There has to be a way to temporarily import..

were are you going to live?

if you have big money, i think you can rent a super car for hot dates in Bangkok. 

in traffic there are supercars all over Bangkok. like a parade on Sukhumvit during drive time. and RR, Bentley Lamborghini and Aston Martin dealerships in malls.

beautiful 2 seater Mercs and BMWs. 

• Like 2