How do you lower the cost of car ownership in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

The lost opportunity cost of capital mustn't be ignored.......800k in a good/lucky? fund could easily bring a return of 10-15% pa.

Also for city dwellers, renting a car is only for specific journeys.......not full rental.....just a thought.

Most new cars lose 50% of there resale value in the first three years......cheaper to buy three years old with a warranty package surely?

10-15% pa....lol

For City dwellers, yes I would imagine wouldn't need a car as plenty of transport as opposed to up country.

I can still get 50% for my car, e.g. 400,000k even with 200,000 country km's on it, two farangs want it, but it's not for sale, last year they were offering 500k, still not for sale, when it is 10 years old, I might upgrade and if I get nothing for it, it was money worth the sped for me.

As for cars losing their value by 50% in the 1st 3 years, I don't believe that to be the case here as 2nd hand seem to hold their value up country, in the old country they would lose value as soon as you drove out of the sales yard, 50% in 3 years yes.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, Exp12345 said:

Yes I understand he said that but from a financial and personal joy standpoint, what’s wrong with temporarily importing a “fun” car for a few months out of the year? 

Import duty when it arrives and probably export duty when it goes out. and the costs and problems with registering the car in Thailand so it can be used, remember imports are not built to Thai Standards therefore you may have to pay a conversion fee (paperwork & brown envelope only).

Yes I understand he said that but from a financial and personal joy standpoint, what’s wrong with temporarily importing a “fun” car for a few months out of the year? 

Nothing if you can shoehorn it into an envelope or small box.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

As for cars losing their value by 50% in the 1st 3 years, I don't believe that to be the case here as 2nd hand seem to hold their value up country,

True......I was back in the UK for that bit....555

Funds not way out (in the current market at least) holding seven at the moment...........over 6 months the lowest is 3.5% and the highest 31%.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Import duty when it arrives and probably export duty when it goes out. and the costs and problems with registering the car in Thailand so it can be used, remember imports are not built to Thai Standards therefore you may have to pay a conversion fee (paperwork & brown envelope only).

There is no "export duty", but re-importing it into a developed country with strict motor vehicle regulation will likely be tough and most certainly be expensive. 

I'm always amused at the number of people that think they've thought of something new when discussing importing a car from another country. This topic pops up at least ten times a years, and no one ever comes back and tells everyone how easy it was. 

I imported a motorcycle years ago, it was a complete nightmare. Lost what I thought was a friend, lost money and almost lost my job.

I would not even consider importing a vehicle.

If the prices are too high shoot down to the second hand yard. pick out 3 or 4 you like then  throw a dart. Done.

I have purchased new & found that the service prices here are very low & if looked after last 12 years with no major maintenance.

If not in a seaside resort no rust

On 6/24/2021 at 10:51 AM, Exp12345 said:

I’m just super into cars and they mean a lot to me, so even if it’s hard or difficult or a PITA, etc I will do whatever it takes to make it happen. I just don’t understand how you “can’t” temporarily import a car to Thailand. Maybe there are some agencies that will help me out I don’t know. 

Just forget it , I have lived here since 2001 and I had the same big ideas about importing my Porsche 993 when I first arrived. Dont waste your time like I did , you will get a big headache for nothing , they will value the car when it lands here at there ridculucas idea of what its worth and then slap a 320% import tax on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I do wish I had known this guy many years ago when I brought my two Jack Russell Terriers from Australia.

All the “ fun” with the Customs Department he could have saved me from to say nothing of the money.

Not the same I would say dogs are living cars ain't.

What's wrong with temporarily ' sponsoring ' the Tax Dept???5555????????????

On 6/24/2021 at 10:44 AM, Exp12345 said:

“No taxes or import duties need to be paid in the case a foreign car is imported into Thailand for less than 6 months. You will need to pay a cash deposit or submit a bank guarantee that covers the amount of liable taxes and duties. This will be forfeited if the vehicle is not exported before the date indicated on the temporary import permit. Higher taxes and fines can also be awarded to importers who breach their temporary contract and extend their car’s stay in Thailand without further notice.

You will need the following documents to execute the importation:
1. The temporary import declaration form (6 copies in total)
2. The vehicle’s registration certificate
3. The passport or identification card of the owner of the vehicle.
4. An application form for the temporary import of the vehicle.
5. A proforma invoice or invoice
6. A certificate of legal entity
7. A re-export contract
8. Proof of power of attorney, if somebody other than the owner intends to drive the vehicle”

Also called ATA

On 6/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, NCC1701A said:

were are you going to live?

if you have big money, i think you can rent a super car for hot dates in Bangkok. 

in traffic there are supercars all over Bangkok. like a parade on Sukhumvit during drive time. and RR, Bentley Lamborghini and Aston Martin dealerships in malls.

beautiful 2 seater Mercs and BMWs. 

Yeah,, I remember the time in Soi 4 ( Nana ) a Porsche and next to it the elephants parading.. 55555

On 6/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, Surelynot said:

....or you could say.....

I believe there is a way and you are incorrect in stating that you cannot temporarily import a car.......here is the information to support my statement.......

Isn't that so much nicer?

Smooth operator and sweet talker. 55555

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Live in a city and you do not need personal transportation.  If you really want to drive periodically you can rent by the week or month.  Big savings all around 

Maybe let him 1st try to get a Th DL and avoid accidents especially with luxury car...

• Like 1

A lot of people talking about the ins and outs of importing a used car to Thailand. Forget all mention of taxes etc. on importing a secondhand car - it was outlawed a couple of years ago.

It may still be possible to travel through Thailand as part of a trip - people have done it but from memory, you either have to pay import taxes and claim a refund when you export the vehicle or get some form of Carnet.  You can bet your bottom dollar that Thailand won't accept any Carnet from a non Thai company and I wouldn't think much of your chances of actually getting a refund.

I understand your enthusiasm - I was much the same 20 years ago but seriously, just forget it.

Accept that car prices are high in Thailand, lower your expectations/model choice and look for a good secondhand car.  You have to be careful and in my opinion, you stand a better chance of getting a good secondhand car if its been in foreign ownership.

Just to give you some idea of what your facing - I recently bought a small car that had a documented service history (with bills, not just stamps in the book).  It was low mileage and a 2015 model.  The same car in the UK would cost me no more than 100,000 baht - I had to pay 190,000.  Yes. on the face of it it seems that I had to pay almost double but you need to also understand that once they are through the initial depreciation period, used car prices in Thailand fall very slowly.  I could probably sell the car after a year and only lose around 20,000.

Putting things into perspective - let's say it was possible to import a car. Apart from the taxes, you'd be faced with long delays, mega bureaucracy, potential problems at annual safety check time etc. etc.  If I'd done that I'd have gone through all that for 90,000 baht.  Believe me, its just not worth it.

I was not present to inspect the car I bought but I have a good friend who is a Western trained mechanic and runs a garage in Thailand. He gave the car a clean bill of health and commented that it was 'like new' - 500 baht for a full wheels off check.  It is possible to buy a good used car in Thailand but you have to be extra careful - especially in respect of past accident repairs.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:51 AM, Exp12345 said:

I’m just super into cars and they mean a lot to me, so even if it’s hard or difficult or a PITA, etc I will do whatever it takes to make it happen

Your fancy car will be rammed into by a moto at a probability of 50%. What's the point of being super into cars ? You think a fancy car will attract girls...try another angle....dangle some 1000 baht notes....easier and less tax.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tonray said:

Your fancy car will be rammed into by a moto at a probability of 50%. What's the point of being super into cars ? You think a fancy car will attract girls...try another angle....dangle some 1000 baht notes....easier and less tax.

Yep it's why i sold my porshe cayenne I bought in 2019 at the end of 2020 and bought an MG HS Turbo for cash this year. To afraid of getting run into by a motorbike or a delivery guy in a hurry. With the MG if it gets damaged I won't cry...lol.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:54 AM, Exp12345 said:

I have the money to buy a super car in Thailand, but I can’t fathom the idea of paying  $800k for a 570s or 911 Turbo when it could go towards a nicer condo or whatever.

6 minutes ago, alacrity said:

OP,s budget is 800k.

I think he was saying that he doesn’t want to pay the equivalent of US$800k (seeing that he used $ instead of ฿) for a Mclaren 570s or a Porsche 911 Turbo (which would actually be $700k and $600k respectively)

A123B4BE-AD5F-4D2D-AA94-8636A3248465.png

61AC3AA3-5C7F-4DBC-B4E9-53297879C9E6.png

• Haha 1

Same as everywhere else...

1) Only buy a car when you don't need one.  You'll get a better deal because you have more negotiating power.

2) Only buy used from a family member.  Only offer 1/3rd of original price,at most.  Of course the offer is contingent on a mechanical inspection by a mechanic you trust.

3) Only buy Toyota, Honda, Ford, Subaru or Mazda.  Higher reliability means lower lifetime costs.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I think he was saying that he doesn’t want to pay the equivalent of US$800k (seeing that he used $ instead of ฿) for a Mclaren 570s or a Porsche 911 Turbo (which would actually be $700k and $600k respectively)

A123B4BE-AD5F-4D2D-AA94-8636A3248465.png

61AC3AA3-5C7F-4DBC-B4E9-53297879C9E6.png

My error. Appears I conflated too much after scrolling through posts.

Even so, if you're considering such a vehicle, would you care too much about the "local' purchase price of something which likely has a resale advantage over purchases elsewhere?

I don't.

10 minutes ago, alacrity said:

My error. Appears I conflated too much after scrolling through posts.

Even so, if you're considering such a vehicle, would you care too much about the "local' purchase price of something which likely has a resale advantage over purchases elsewhere?

I don't.

I certainly would consider the local purchase price…especially here, where I’d be willing to bet that there are far fewer purchasers of second hand Porsches (and similarly priced cars).  I’d rather firesale a $150k 911 turbo in Los Angeles than a $600k one here.  I think that we foreigners just have to accept that these kinds of cars are for the super-rich here in Thailand and taxed accordingly.

1 hour ago, alacrity said:

Some cars have a soul, or maybe just affect the soul of others.

I dunno like many guys here on TVF , money, cars, houses, bank account, businesses, it just ends up as a peeing the further contest. ????

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I dunno like many guys here on TVF , money, cars, houses, bank account, businesses, it just ends up as a peeing the further contest. ????

And if one wanted it and really did have the funds, it would be easy enough to buy a supercar a year or two old, drive it for six months and sell it at less of  a loss than the whole temporary import scheme would cost.... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you finally went with the car you can fit 10 circus clowns in....nice choice

image.png.5a3d77e939d2eacda06a655e142e0a0a.png

Yes, the make we got has an entry level model resembling this, for 5k baht a month. That payment certainly was tempting, not much more than a motosai for a car. But the wife wisely pushed me into spending the few extra k a month for something actually usable and comfortable. Three full size adults sit across in the back well. We're planning to take some relatives and their rather large kid on a beachside holiday. It really isn't bad.

• Like 1