Please check the veracity of my proposed path

20 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I assume you have been here before - but welcome to your retirement and I hope you can get out of Phuket and explore this wonderful country, people and fascinating culture. 

Thanks for that. Yes, I've been to Thailand five times since 1988, which isn't a lot compared to a lot of people I've seen, but it's a lot in other contexts. I'm thinking of basing in Hua Hin. Maybe I'll gravitate toward somewhere else in country eventually, but it seems like PKK province is a good choice to begin. I'm tried of visiting Thailand for a mere vacations that feel like they fly by in a couple of days. I need to live there for a few years and have all the experiences I want to have.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Thanks for that. Yes, I've been to Thailand five times since 1988, which isn't a lot compared to a lot of people I've seen, but it's a lot in other contexts. I'm thinking of basing in Hua Hin. Maybe I'll gravitate toward somewhere else in country eventually, but it seems like PKK province is a good choice to begin. I'm tried of visiting Thailand for a mere vacations that feel like they fly by in a couple of days. I need to live there for a few years and have all the experiences I want to have.

sounds exciting.............great feeling of expectation, I'm sure it will live up to yours........................

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When and how did you do that.

The non-o visa applied for at immigration only gives you a 90 day permit to stay when is issued and you have to show financial proof to apply for it. Then you have to apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

This was Jomtien Immigration June 2019. I suspected it was less than above board but I wasn't going to complain. They took me into an office in the back and explained that I could either fill out a small mountain of forms (all in Thai) and make several trips to Bangkok or give them 19k and they would take care of it.

24 minutes ago, J Town said:

This was Jomtien Immigration June 2019

So your still in Thailand?

What did you do for the next extension. 

If you obtained an extension June 2019 you would have required another extension and in fact coming up for a third extension.

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So your still in Thailand?

What did you do for the next extension. 

If you obtained an extension June 2019 you would have required another extension and in fact coming up for a third extension.

I got the money in the bank and have done the proper extension process for the last two years.

39 minutes ago, J Town said:

I got the money in the bank and have done the proper extension process for the last two years.

So you must of placed money in bank the day you obtained first extension. 

For your second extension the money would need to be in the bank for previous 12 months, if not using an agent.

In any event no reply required. Off topic from the OP,s topic.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

So you must of placed money in bank the day you obtained first extension. 

For your second extension the money would need to be in the bank for previous 12 months, if not using an agent.

In any event no reply required. Off topic from the OP,s topic.

I feel I need to reply. You're mistaken on several points. My initial visa was apparently done with a wink and a nod, so no money in the bank required. This gave me the following year (maybe 15 months, I don't remember) to get the finances arranged. Subsequent visas require the money to be in the bank for the previous three months, not twelve.

4 minutes ago, J Town said:

Subsequent visas require the money to be in the bank for the previous three months, not twelve.

First up it would be previous 2 months not 3 if it was your first extension.

Secondly your following extension being your second would require the funds to be in the bank for the entire previous year. Not just 3 months.

What did you pay for your second and third extension? 1900baht

• Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Secondly your following extension being your second would require the funds to be in the bank for the entire previous year. Not just 3 months.

Yes, 1900 baht (plus a little more for photos).

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It has been 2 months for every extension since March of 2019.

That is also when the requirement to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after the extension was applied for and then at least 400k baht for the remainder of the year.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has been 2 months for every extension since March of 2019.

That is also when the requirement to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after the extension was applied for and then at least 400k baht for the remainder of the year.

Don't follow.

I'm on an extension and for my next extension will need show 800k in bank after my last visit to immigration for extension then maintained for 3 months then above 400k etc etc.

I was asking the poster about his recent extensions.

He had originally obtain a non O together with 12 month extension WITHOUT funds in bank. Direct from immigration. Jomtien no less.

For his next extension he stated money in bank for 3months (he meant 2, I presume). In any event the money should have been in the bank all year. 

He states that was not the case and also that he paid 1900baht and did not use agent. 

That has always been the issue with agent assisted extensions without the financials in place. 

What do you do the following year.

Answer use an agent. 

Edited by DrJack54

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm on an extension and for my next extension will need show 800k in bank after my last visit to immigration for extension then maintained for 3 months then above 400k etc etc.

You did not write that in you post and it implied that 800k baht had to be in the bank all year.

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For his next extension he stated money in bank for 3months (he meant 2, I presume). In any event the money should have been in the bank all year. 

The office he applied at may not of enforced the rule or did not ask for a bank statement to prove it.

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You did not write that in you post and it implied that 800k baht had to be in the bank all year.

The office he applied at may not of enforced the rule or did not ask for a bank statement to prove it.

Yep sure. So this chap obtains a non o along with extension from Jomtien for 19k. No agent. 

The following year he obtains another extension by just having money in the bank for few months for 1900baht. etc.

Personally I don't buy any of it.

In any event the OP has clear advice.

This side story was misleading.

5 hours ago, J Town said:

I got the money in the bank and have done the proper extension process for the last two years

You did not have the money in the bank for your second extension. The money would have needed to be there from day 1 of your first extension. You stated in your first post that you did not have a Thai  bank account and used your first extension (time wise) to open account.

Hence your second extension was also not within the rules. You paid 1900baht.

Nup!