Royal Gazette Announces Thailand’s New Regulations for Online Ride-hailing Services

webfact

146411fa017d942bfdb476e6f885c128_small.jpg

By Woraprat Lerpaisal

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Transport Ministry has reported that a ministerial regulation, covering online ride-hailing services, has been announced in the Royal Gazette, making the rules enforceable.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said, according to the regulations, personal motor vehicles can be registered for online ride-hailing services. The Department of Land Transport (DLT) will now seek opinions from the various parties involved and, in 30 days, will announce criteria to support service providers and applications that will be used for the service.

He said the regulation will help people make the most of their resources, in line with the principle of the sharing economy. People will be allowed to use their personal vehicles to provide ride-hailing services, as an alternative to taxis. Each person is allowed to register only one personal vehicle, and the driver must be equipped with electronic communication systems endorsed by the DLT.

For small and medium sized cars, the starting fare is no more than 50 baht for the first two kilometres, and no more than 12 baht for each subsequent kilometre traveled. For larger vehicles, the starting fare is no more than 200 baht for the first two kilometres and no more 30 baht for each subsequent kilometre traveled.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Grab going to be a whole lot cheaper in Pattaya now.

Good news. 

Have you tried Bolt.  Its very cheap!  I think its only available in Chon Buri.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Have you tried Bolt.  Its very cheap!  I think its only available in Chon Buri.

I have tried it and had limited success with it. Twice it was Pattaya taxis and another time it was a private car.

First time was fine they arrived and drove me from central Patts to Sriracha no bother, fare was 80% cheaper than Grab.

Second time they tried to negotiate the fare (same route) up to Grab prices so I told them to get lost and I booked another driver. 

Always get the driver sob story though about the fare being too low and begging for a tip, which I don't like. Maybe it is just too cheap...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have tried it and had limited success with it. Twice it was Pattaya taxis and another time it was a private car.

First time was fine they arrived and drove me from central Patts to Sriracha no bother, fare was 80% cheaper than Grab.

Second time they tried to negotiate the fare (same route) up to Grab prices so I told them to get lost and I booked another driver. 

Always get the driver sob story though about the fare being too low and begging for a tip, which I don't like. Maybe it is just too cheap...

Being more used to Black Cab taxi fares in London....taxi fares here seem so cheap.....I don't know how they make a living.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Being more used to Black Cab taxi fares in London....taxi fares here seem so cheap.....I don't know how they make a living.

That a Thai taxi driver doesn't have to pay London rents might help. ????

• Haha 2