Japanese Auto Plants Will Promote Electric Vehicles in Thailand

snoop1130

9170c1045e74bd417bda8a740fbb1d46_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) reported on Thursday that Japanese auto plants in Thailand are powering up to produce electric vehicles, while Japan’s business presence in the Kingdom remains strong, despite COVID-19.

JETRO told Thailand’s Energy Minister, Supattanapong Punmeechaow, during an online meeting, that Japanese business operations in Thailand are still above 66% cent of pre-COVID-19 levels, indicating investor confidence in the country.

Mr Supattanapong said Thailand’s investment promotion plan is environmentally friendly, in line with the 2022 National Energy Plan for a gradual transfer to renewable energy in each sector.

He added that the Japanese private sector is interested in producing electric vehicles in Thailand, including HEV, PHEV, BEV, FCEV and others, to pilot domestic use of electric vehicles and to forge a regional production hub.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-06-25

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) reported on Thursday that Japanese auto plants in Thailand are powering up to produce electric vehicles,

nothing Dull about that ..

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

e.g. rapid charging stations

For most people charge at home, most of the time most peoples cars sit there doing nothing (i.e parked)

Charge @ home is what I do, one of the great things about e-vehicles (I also have an ebike and escooter). I have yet to need a charging station. Sure some might but I would suggest the vast majority don't. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BumGun said:

For most people charge at home, most of the time most peoples cars sit there doing nothing (i.e parked)

Charge @ home is what I do, one of the great things about e-vehicles (I also have an ebike and escooter). I have yet to need a charging station. Sure some might but I would suggest the vast majority don't. 

The single biggest benefit of EV's is in the city to cut noise and pollution.......where do 90% of city dwellers live?......in high rise buildings with no access to charging.........this needs too be addressed if they want a market for these vehicles.

• Like 1

I get the impression that the move to EV's is opening up the traditional car makers to much more competition.

They had a strangle, to a degree, with the ICE, but that is on the way out..........much lower barriers to entry now for new manufacturers.

3 hours ago, BumGun said:

need  a  long  cable  on the 36th  floor though

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BumGun said:

What if you are touring?

I have never owned an electric vehicle but I did own a hybrid Lexus.  That was a total waste of money.  I spent 25% more about $10,000 to buy it.  It got no better mileage than the 4 other RX models I owned that were identical to it and I got no more for it used when I sold it than the comparable RX gas models were when I sold it. 

With electric, they have somewhat made the range on them acceptable.  However, I would hesitate to use an electric car even in the USA for a long trip for fear of not being close to a charging station.  Even if charging stations were not a problem, the idea of just sitting in ones car for 20 - 30 minutes to get a "quick charge" that gives me another 200 - 300 KM is just not very appealing.  Add to that the additional expense of buying the more expensive electric and the cost of adding electric charging to ones home is a further negative.  Someone installing electric charging at their home now has an investment that won't be recouped when the home is sold and they will likely have to face another installation if they move.  Now who would benefit the most would be the large urban centers where traffic is congested and pollution a problem.  Where would it be the most difficult to implement large urban centers where a large percentage of people live in apartments and certainly won't be putting charging stations in. 

This idea that electric vehicles are a pancea is lunacy.  Even in the USA 40% of electric is generated by coal, 40% by natural gas 10% by nuclear power and 10% through wind/solar/hyrdo electric.  So in some respect using electric just changes where fossil fuels are expended. Also lithium used in batteries is a rare element.  Very dirty to mine, and it too is limited in supply.  I can think of nothing more polluting that the manufacturer of and disposal of batteries.  In the USA many responders to electric cars involved in accidents come in hazmat suits and certainly if the battery cases are cracked and spill into the environment that can't be a positive. 

In California by far and away the most aggressive in terms of pushing for electric vehicles 20% of those who have owned them said they will not purchase them again because of the hassle.  Finally, batteries wear out.  As the car marches towards the life of the battery, I anticipate the value of the car will depreciate rapidly since replacing the batteries in it will be expensive and time consuming. 
image.png.55569e64b4f63a9cca07b537c6d55978.png

Edited by Thomas J
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

What about the infrastructure to back-up all of these vehicles e.g. rapid charging stations should the project take hold ???

just imagine a future when every Thai owns an electric vehicle and charges it by hanging a power cable out of the condo window......

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2021 at 6:00 AM, Geoffggi said:

What about the infrastructure to back-up all of these vehicles e.g. rapid charging stations should the project take hold ???

Oh dear, more damned overhead wires and burial projects!

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

Now what do you do when you arrive at the charging station almost out of power and you view the following

May be an image of text that says 'AND, YOU THOUGHT SMOKING AT THE PUMP WAS RISKY TESLA'

Prepping for the engines that the conspiracy theorists claim "burns water", but the petrochemical industry has quashed?

21 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Prepping for the engines that the conspiracy theorists claim "burns water", but the petrochemical industry has quashed?

I don't know, but throughout the ages new technology has naturally replaced old technology as consumers easily saw the advantages.  There was no need for subsidies or mandates.  Cell phones soon made land lines obsolete.  4K television replaced traditional analog TV.  

You now have governments I suspect colluding with companies to create and mandate a demand for electric vehicles no matter what.  If electric vehicles were truly superior they too would be favored by consumers and soon internal combustion cars would be a relic.   Instead you have governments providing huge subsidies and mandates to force the use of electric cars.  I suspect that this in part is due to a collusion with companies who will make trillions converting with new electric products no matter how economically inefficient they are.   

I have no problem with electric cars but I do question their practicality.  I certainly would not take a long trip in one out of fear of not finding a charging station and somehow the idea of sitting for upwards of 30 minutes to get another quick charge of 200 KM does not sound appealing.  I also question with 90% of the electricity coming from coal, oil, natural gas, and nuclear is this not just changing where the pollutants are being burned.  I also wonder why the environmentalists cry over every tree that is cut which are renewable, but somehow cheer when precious metal lithium needed for the car batteries is mined.  I also wonder if one of the unintended consequences of electric cars is spills from batteries involved in car accidents to say nothing about the environmental consequences of recycling or disposing of spent batteries. 

The push for electric cars seems to be a momentum driven by Soviet Style command and control government policy rather than driven by a superior technology.  You don't suppose those who would benefit from conversion to electric cars might be lobbying to get policies imposed that would make them trillions do you? 

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

I don't know, but throughout the ages new technology has naturally replaced old technology as consumers easily saw the advantages.  There was no need for subsidies or mandates.  Cell phones soon made land lines obsolete.  4K television replaced traditional analog TV.  

You now have governments I suspect colluding with companies to create and mandate a demand for electric vehicles no matter what.  If electric vehicles were truly superior they too would be favored by consumers and soon internal combustion cars would be a relic.   Instead you have governments providing huge subsidies and mandates to force the use of electric cars.  I suspect that this in part is due to a collusion with companies who will make trillions converting with new electric products no matter how economically inefficient they are.   

I have no problem with electric cars but I do question their practicality.  I certainly would not take a long trip in one out of fear of not finding a charging station and somehow the idea of sitting for upwards of 30 minutes to get another quick charge of 200 KM does not sound appealing.  I also question with 90% of the electricity coming from coal, oil, natural gas, and nuclear is this not just changing where the pollutants are being burned.  I also wonder why the environmentalists cry over every tree that is cut which are renewable, but somehow cheer when precious metal lithium needed for the car batteries is mined.  I also wonder if one of the unintended consequences of electric cars is spills from batteries involved in car accidents to say nothing about the environmental consequences of recycling or disposing of spent batteries. 

The push for electric cars seems to be a momentum driven by Soviet Style command and control government policy rather than driven by a superior technology.  You don't suppose those who would benefit from conversion to electric cars might be lobbying to get policies imposed that would make them trillions do you? 

No arguments with big business corrupting supply and demand....that's for sure.....just look at the farce over solar roofs (I'm sure it used to be rooves when I was kid?).

On another level, the only reason I might purchase electric would be if I lived in the city and had a house I where I could easily charged the car......would not do any long journeys until all the infra structure is sorted.

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

On another level, the only reason I might purchase electric would be if I lived in the city and had a house I where I could easily charged the car......would not do any long journeys until all the infra structure is sorted

Yes I agree and those are exactly the regions where it will be the most difficult to implement a heavy concentration of electric vehicles since many live in apartment buildings that lack the home charging stations. 

I have no idea if the support system for electric cars is sufficient to handle repairs either.  I would certainly be hesitant that my car needed repair and there was not sufficient technicians or parts immediately available.  I know this, batteries last only so long.  As an electric car ages I fully anticipate its value to plummet as purchasers recognize the huge inconvenience and expense of replacing the batteries.  Also you see it already where early electric cars got only 150 km on a charge and now upwards of 500 km on a charge.  Purchasers of used electric cars will have to assess whether it is more cost effective to not buy the old model and replace the batteries.  If that depreciates car values in electric cars more quickly it is yet another reason against the purchase of an electric because of the loss in value. 

Don't know.  Don't own one.  Had a Lexus Hybrid that cost me $10,000 more and I got no better gas mileage and nothing more when I went to sell the car.  At my age, I will continue to buy gasoline. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Yes I agree and those are exactly the regions where it will be the most difficult to implement a heavy concentration of electric vehicles since many live in apartment buildings that lack the home charging stations. 

I have no idea if the support system for electric cars is sufficient to handle repairs either.  I would certainly be hesitant that my car needed repair and there was not sufficient technicians or parts immediately available.  I know this, batteries last only so long.  As an electric car ages I fully anticipate its value to plummet as purchasers recognize the huge inconvenience and expense of replacing the batteries.  Also you see it already where early electric cars got only 150 km on a charge and now upwards of 500 km on a charge.  Purchasers of used electric cars will have to assess whether it is more cost effective to not buy the old model and replace the batteries.  If that depreciates car values in electric cars more quickly it is yet another reason against the purchase of an electric because of the loss in value. 

Don't know.  Don't own one.  Had a Lexus Hybrid that cost me $10,000 more and I got no better gas mileage and nothing more when I went to sell the car.  At my age, I will continue to buy gasoline. 

Same here unless some other compelling reasons arise........too many pieces of the jigsaw just not in place as yet.

• Like 1