Bangkok Bank BIC

Just had a French bank close down my account. I have asked them to transfer the account balance to my Bangkok Bank account.

They have asked me for all relevant details to enable the transfer including SWIFT and BIC.

The Swift is easy enough but I cannot find the BIC anywhere. Does anyone know where or how I can find it? I have looked on the internet without any luck so far.

I'm pretty sure it's not needed if I have the SWIFT code, but they are insisting on it.

TIA

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

SWIFT is International, BIC is European.

No, I am wrong. They are the same thing.

What is a BIC code?

BIC means Bank Identification Code, or Bank Identifier Code. It is an 8 to 11-character code that is used to identify a specific bank when you make an international transaction. It’s almost like a postcode for your bank, ensuring that your money goes to the right place. So, what is a SWIFT code? SWIFT stands for the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, which is a global network that processes payments between different countries.

Is there any difference between BIC codes and SWIFT codes?

Short answer: no. The terms are used interchangeably and mean exactly the same thing – they’re simply given different names by different banks and financial organisations. It’s also worth noting that these codes may be referred to as SWIFT/BIC codes, BIC/SWIFT codes, SWIFT ID or SWIFT identifiers, but again, in practice there is no difference between any of the terms.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JackGats said:

BIC or SWIFT should be the same. Why die the FR bank close your account?

Screenshot_20210626-081737_Chrome.jpg

I don't know. They said they sent me an email in April, but I didn't receive it.

When I asked why they are closing my account, they said it is in their Terms & Agreements that they reserve  the right to close accounts. 

They have asked for Bangkok Bank's official proof indicating "Account references. name surname, acc no, BIC and SWIFT."

On 6/26/2021 at 7:27 PM, phetphet said:

I don't know. They said they sent me an email in April, but I didn't receive it.

When I asked why they are closing my account, they said it is in their Terms & Agreements that they reserve  the right to close accounts. 

They have asked for Bangkok Bank's official proof indicating "Account references. name surname, acc no, BIC and SWIFT."

So now I have run into another problem.

My Bangkok Bank branch will give me a letter saying that I am a customer at their bank, showing how much I have in the account, but they won't add the SWIFT code, branch address or the other details required..

The bank in France won't accept anything without the....well see below.  

I have searched through the internet banking pages, but cannot see this "certificate" they are asking for.

any ideas where to find it?

We thank you for your submission, but regret that we cannot consider it as official proof.
You should send us a copy of the certificate accessible in your personal space (digital banking), including the contact details of the banking institution, and the necessary information for any international transfer

10 hours ago, phetphet said:

I have searched through the internet banking pages, but cannot see this "certificate" they are asking for.

any ideas where to find it?

I think they are just trolling you.

Send them your bank details and give them a deadline to do the transfer. Inform them that if they don't return your money within the deadline you will file a police report for fraud/embezzlement against them, might get them going.

• Like 1

You can scan the front page of your bankbook too.  It might help.

The SWIFT code shouldn't need to be on the letter from your branch as it is a central code to the head office, and they can look it up on their own systems anyway.

Edited by YT3k72Em
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YT3k72Em said:

You can scan the front page of your bankbook too.  It might help.

The SWIFT code shouldn't need to be on the letter from your branch as it is a central code to the head office, and they can look it up on their own systems anyway.

I've just given up.

Phoned 1333 Bangkok Bank helpline last night. Told me to go back and see Branch Manager. 

I even typed up a sample letter for them to copy. Was told cannot write letters. Can only follow templates.

Then went to Kasikorn.  Told the same there. In the end I have just told the bank in France to send me a cheque made out to me and I will pay it in myself here. Takes 45 days to clear.