Home delivery options for groceries

TVAVATAR

Hey guys,

I'll be permanently moving to Thailand soon. So I'm trying to make sure I get all the essentials sorted first, like food! 

Fortunately Thailand looks like it has many home delivery options for groceries. 

I have read many articles online recommending mainly Big C, Happy Fresh, Tesco etc. But Makro (something I found accidentally) looks by far and away better to me, which might just mean Western food choices. Like seriously, the options Makro home delivery has compared to the other 2 mentioned just isn't worth putting them in the same league. 

It wasn't until I was on here asking about Sardines that I realised how much I was missing before helpful people here mentioned other avenues. 

So for example, it seems Makro is best for frozen and chilled items. But when it comes to anything from Oats to Sardines to Protein powder it seems places like Shoppe and Lazada are best. 

I didn't even know about Lazada or Shoppe, I was wasting my time trying to find eBay or Amazon Thailand ???? rookie error. 

So if I'm missing anything again here guys please let me know! ????

Cheers

I don't know where in Thailand you're moving to, but in Bangkok, (and doubtless in the bigger provincial cities), Central through its flagship Central Foodhall, or through its smaller Tops brand, delivers through their online services. Central Foodhall has a wide array of foodstuffs, probably wider than the best supermarkets in the West, combining the top of the range Western food, with SE Asian food.

Furthermore, if either of these are available in the location you are going to live in, it might be best to visit them first. You can buy, set up an account, and have delivered.

tops.co.th

centralfoodhall.com

The other good high end supermarket is at Siam Paragon, or Emporium (both in Bangkok).

The stores you mention are probably more suited to local tastes, although of course they carry many imported (foreign) brands too.

1 hour ago, TVAVATAR said:

I'll be permanently moving to Thailand soon. So I'm trying to make sure I get all the essentials sorted first, like food! 

Is there some disability that would prevent you from going to the market ? I've found Home Delivery to be spotty at best. Some items usually missing, must be reconciled later and fresh items perhaps not the ones you would have selected if you had shopped yourself.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:08 PM, samtam said:

I don't know where in Thailand you're moving to, but in Bangkok, (and doubtless in the bigger provincial cities), Central through its flagship Central Foodhall, or through its smaller Tops brand, delivers through their online services. Central Foodhall has a wide array of foodstuffs, probably wider than the best supermarkets in the West, combining the top of the range Western food, with SE Asian food.

Furthermore, if either of these are available in the location you are going to live in, it might be best to visit them first. You can buy, set up an account, and have delivered.

tops.co.th

centralfoodhall.com

The other good high end supermarket is at Siam Paragon, or Emporium (both in Bangkok).

The stores you mention are probably more suited to local tastes, although of course they carry many imported (foreign) brands too.

Thank you! That is helpful. I will be moving to Bangkok. 5-10 minutes from Central. 

I'm glad I now know about Tops. It seems like they are definitely more Western. But ironically Makro still comes out on top for me. I promise I'm not a Makro sales rep! ???? It could just be me and the things I'm trying to get. 

On 6/26/2021 at 6:43 PM, tonray said:

Is there some disability that would prevent you from going to the market ? I've found Home Delivery to be spotty at best. Some items usually missing, must be reconciled later and fresh items perhaps not the ones you would have selected if you had shopped yourself.

???? I love how you are trying to be polite with the disability question! Very respectful thank you. 

No, unfortunately I am just lazy ???? But seriously I just value my time different to others. It takes me an hour shopping (which I don't enjoy) vs 5-10 minutes online. 

Ha, yes well I promise you in the UK & Australia the delivery service is the same. Items missing 90% of the time! Then comparing that to me going down to the supermarket is worse! I can take a list and still forget things! ????

• Like 2

I have had three deliveries by MAKRO and they have been a disaster.

1st order they sent the wrong sausages.

2nd order they sent the wrong sausages and ham, also 5 items missing.

3rd order they sent two items wrong brand and forgot 2 items, which they say

No have. Now I have to wait 7 days for a refund.

NEVER AGAIN MAKRO.

I have also ordered many imported products with LAZADA

and never had a problem.

I can personally recommend these for home delivery, which I rely on beiing out in the sticks.

paleorobbie.com Bangkok

britishop.com Pattaya

expatfoodsthailand.com (Siamburis) Pattaya (my regular supplier)

Many deliveries no issues from any other than one bashed tin of beans.

I've had very good frequent experiences with Tops which in Pattaya sources from Central Food Hall. Large selection of western foods. Frequent promotions. Free delivery for orders over 888 baht. COD accepted. About 75 percent of orders completely filled. Otherwise they just deduct any items they didn't have. Produce usually all good quality and not rotten. Occasional surprises on what's delivered because of a flawed description on the website. Not once charged for an item not delivered so I don't even bother checking the order before signing for the delivery but you probably should.

Edited by Jingthing

27 minutes ago, Jessi said:

I have had three deliveries by MAKRO and they have been a disaster.

1st order they sent the wrong sausages.

2nd order they sent the wrong sausages and ham, also 5 items missing.

3rd order they sent two items wrong brand and forgot 2 items, which they say

No have. Now I have to wait 7 days for a refund.

NEVER AGAIN MAKRO.

I have also ordered many imported products with LAZADA

and never had a problem.

Conversely, I have had multiple deliveries and never ANY issue with Makro. Once again, depends where you are, never any consistency.

I use Villa Market and Tops delivery (including Central Food Hall). Both would contact you last minute and tell you something is out of stock, and often that are imported items. For general stuff they are both OK. TescoLotus (or Lotus's that it's called now, apparently) I've also used before and while the choice of imported stuff was minuscule, the delivery was good and there were no items that were cancelled last second. BigC also uses delivery, but never tried it. Seems cheaper than Tops and Villa (have it on Nasket but never bothered to order from there).

For imported specialities, the importers also have items to deliver directly. So if you were after some western meats, you can get delivery from them, but as they use Lineman or Lalamove, it would not make sense to take 1 small pack of something as delivery would be more expensive than product.

Most of them in these locked down times moved to social media to advertise.

14 minutes ago, Whale said:

Can anyone shop at macro? Or do you have to be a member. I have one close by but I have never been because I thought you needed to be a business to shop there?

Anyone can shop there, and any volume , I often call in just for 1 or 2 items. I don't know if there are any great benefits to being a member. In the UK reward cards for certain suppliers an be quite good , but here I've found them to be very frugal, also the reward system they have in 7/11 changes every 6 months so I never have chance to 'collect' on the scheme.

• Like 1

Tops, Big C only complaint was always had a few items out of stock and removed from order but yes check your orders on arrival. Would say get canned or packaged items is fine. Produce/meats/perishables be worth going in to check them out. Beef here seems to vary wildly and could be a nice marbled cut to stone red in the same priced items.  Big time saver if no car available and need to stock up on bulky items. 

If its small one off items have you checked apps like grab that have 711/familymart and some limited supermarket selections?

On 6/27/2021 at 10:22 AM, TVAVATAR said:

I love how you are trying to be polite with the disability question! Very respectful thank you. 

No, unfortunately I am just lazy ???? But seriously I just value my time different to others.

You'll never be as lazy as some Thais (especially in my building). The number of delivery drivers turning up just with Tea/Coffee/Smoothies is amazing. In fact it taught me a thing or two. Try to like Thai food and life will be easier and more healthful - keeping away from fried processed "meat" on a stick and sugar snacks of course. The local markets have a lot on offer, cheap and usually very close by. Oh and Thais place no value on time just in case you didn't know that.

Edited by soi3eddie

I do only makro and shop whenever I am passing by, just to top up my fridge.

That's because the are the cheapest.

I do buy in bulk, the biggest possible packaging, which might last me for many months.

Variety of choice is very big, but I would get around 10 items.

I have also used their home delivery, when my food stock was low, without any problem