Another Begging Farang

kevc

Chitlom BTS station a guy about 25 years old well dressed t-shirt and shorts clean shaven with a board in his hands " Help me I need 600 baht to go home" maybe I shouldn't pre judge but he looked like one of the new style lager louts that I hear about on Khoa San Road, but if he needed 600 to go home where were his bags he must still be living somewhere, and people ask why is immigration getting so strict on onward tickets.

What's a new style lager lout? Serious question, I'd really like to know! Thanks.

Read the Big Chilli, Khoa San is supposed to be full of them come over for the cheap beer and cheap accomodation.

When I lived in the UK I'd keep out of the city at the weekend because of all the fights, just last week I read in the local paper on line a guy got killed because he threw away a chip and it hit some morons girlfriend so he beat him up and killed him on the spot, the same things happening there here now according to the Big Chilli magazine I hope the Thai police crack down on them before they start venturing further afield.

What's a new style lager lout? Serious question, I'd really like to know! Thanks.

Read the Big Chilli, Khoa San is supposed to be full of them come over for the cheap beer and cheap accomodation.

When I lived in the UK I'd keep out of the city at the weekend because of all the fights, just last week I read in the local paper on line a guy got killed because he threw away a chip and it hit some morons girlfriend so he beat him up and killed him on the spot, the same things happening there here now according to the Big Chilli magazine I hope the Thai police crack down on them before they start venturing further afield.

If you're talking about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...don/6677477.stm

You got it the wrong way round.

RAZZ

I've run into a number of foreign beggars and beggar wannabes now, so many that I'm no longer as shocked by them as I once was. Try to keep away from them, mostly.

The ones that sit at a station have to pay off the local authorities, same as any other beggar there.

I've run into a number of foreign beggars and beggar wannabes now, so many that I'm no longer as shocked by them as I once was. Try to keep away from them, mostly.

The ones that sit at a station have to pay off the local authorities, same as any other beggar there.

The only little good thing about them is, if there are more of them, maybe the locals will after a while think that we (the farangs) are maybe not that rich after all.

:o

Sailor

Chitlom BTS station a guy about 25 years old well dressed t-shirt and shorts clean shaven with a board in his hands " Help me I need 600 baht to go home" maybe I shouldn't pre judge but he looked like one of the new style lager louts that I hear about on Khoa San Road, but if he needed 600 to go home where were his bags he must still be living somewhere, and people ask why is immigration getting so strict on onward tickets.

If he only needed 600 Baht to get home, why not give him 1,200 so that he can take another beggar home with him?

If he only needed 600 Baht to get home, why not give him 1,200 so that he can take another beggar home with him?

or even 1800 that'd make 3 less :o

If you're talking about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...don/6677477.stm

You got it the wrong way round.

No this guy came from my home town (same place the guy who got shot in Hua Hin came from) just out of college and starting his own business he was on his way home with pals threw a chip at his mate which hit the girl he went over to apologise and bang. One thing I've always said to people about Thailand is you never see farangs fighting like you get in the UK, every body just has a good time, reading this Big Chilli story things could be about to change if the police don't come down on them hard.

RAZZ

At that rate...10,000 baht would clear a lot of them............shall I start a collection?....but would doing that make me a beggar too?

If he can find flights that cheap lets just all make him our travel agent. :o

I don't know if it was the same guy, but I saw a farang at Chit Lom two nights ago, but his sign said he needed 6,000 baht. I am pretty sure this is the same guy I saw a year ago at Pantip. His sign was very well used, with creases from being folded up many times. I wanted to ask him how long he has been at this, but I couldn't bring myself to ask.

I’m not surprised off a foreign bagger, here in France we got thousands (millions?) off them, mostly from east Europe and Africa,

The French government gives 5000 euro’s to those who wanne go back!

Edited by jimmy5L

I wonder how they go about that? Ask him for his work permit?? :o

Soundman.

hear, hear!

I'd venture to guess the foreign beggars may very well be addicted to alcohol and/or drugs. Their families and friends have probably "had it" with them and no longer enable.

There is a whole lot of Thai begging targeting the foreign population. They often use different children(not their own) to accomplish this. Supposedly some children are sold or rented or kidnapped for this.

This is an old scam how it woks is never ask for to much money ,,, so lots of people give cash ,,, i met a guy in france he made a good living by begging ,,

He would say to people i am stuck in france and because my van had a puncture im now 5 euros short of the ticket price and would ask just for a euro or two towards the price,, he told me its a numbers game , some give 5 euros some give one but at 30 -50 aday it mounts up

(he would show people the leaflet from a ferry company quoting the prices )

When I was in the hospital, my attending nurse told me about her experience with a farrang beggar near Nana BTS. She and two of her colleagues got off the BTS, saw the farrang, and felt bad for him. Each of them gave him 100bhat. A few hours later, while she was standing at the bus stop waiting for her bus, the farrang beggar, wearing his backpack, came up to her and asked her how much for a "short-time"!!

Always seems to be one or two threads like this on the go at any one time .

Everytime i have to ask myself what does it matter? There are thousands and thousands of Thai beggers , so why does it matter to ANYONE if a few farang join them? They say it gives farang a bad name ... so what? And its beyond me why the Thai Governmenbt should give a ###### ...the pavements are full of Thai's begging , why does the governemtn care if a few foreigners join them?? And as to the members on this forum who say "kick them out" etc etc , i ask why does it bother you?

As with all things in life , if you don't like it and you are not prepared to do something to help, them just look away. Works every time ....honestly

The only little good thing about them is, if there are more of them, maybe the locals will after a while think that we (the farangs) are maybe not that rich after all.

:D

Sailor

:o

• 2 weeks later...
Just came across this Video on you tube

Dutch beggar in front of Chitlom BTS

Outragous, makes a 1000 Baht a day and pays 500Baht to coppers to let him

Think of it in a positive light, at least the thais get to see that ferangs dont sh-t money :o

From the perspective of the stats counters at the tourism authority, a tourist is a tourist. It all goes to the bottom line of showing that visitors are coming and the numbers are increasing!!!

At the end of the day, perhaps the reason the gov't doesn't care about the farang beggers is because it doesn't cost Thailand anything to let them beg. They don't get free healthcare, legal aid, subsidized housing etc., but they still have to sleep and eat and that means paying someone something. Besides, the sight of a western begger is always good for a smug smirk.