฿1-2bn Baht per day loss expected due to new restrictions – Commerce Chamber

webfact

000_8YH3HZ.jpg

People dine separated by dividing screens at a street food corner in Bangkok’s Chinatown on January 10, 2021, (Photo by Mladen ANTONOV / AFP)

One to two billion Baht in revenue will be lost per day, resulting in an economic contraction of about 0.1%-0.3%, amid a new round of COVID-19 restrictions beginning today (Monday) in Bangkok and nine other provinces, according to the Thai Chamber of Commerce.

The restrictions should not last too long and an accelerated vaccination effort, especially in areas with many infections, should accompany the restrictive measures, said Commerce Chamber Chairman Sanan Angubolkul, who is also urging direct compensation be paid to businesses in the hospitality and food and beverage industries.

The one-month partial lockdown, in Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala and Songkhla, includes the re-imposition of the dine-in ban, no gatherings of more than 20 people, as well as closures of cinemas, theatres and the sealing of construction worker dormitories.

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

The restrictions should not last too long and an accelerated vaccination effort..........

------------------

That's really cheered me up.  I was getting quite worried there for a moment.

I wonder how many vaccines the country could have ordered just from the government revenue lost with this outbreak? If the people were vaccinated, they could already be seeing mass tourism from the US and Europe already. 

Not opening the pocketbook has ironically cost them more they could have corruptly siphoned off in a more normal economy. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The restrictions should not last too long and an accelerated vaccination effort,

Really.. todays news says about 6 million, only 10% of the population has had it's first jab, with less than that 3% having the second... if that's accelerated I can't wait for it to take off.