Disney+ Hotstar Thailand launch Starts Tomorrow. How can I watch on Smart TV?

NCC1701A

AIS is the provider. I signed up for the 35 baht a month special. Any ideas on how I can watch on Smart TV that does not have a Disney App?

Will I need a Android streaming box? 

AIS has a link to app. All in Thai and not very helpful. Unlike Netflix I Could not find a website for Disney to stream from. 

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/tv/disney-plus-hotstar-thailand-launch-price-release-date-titles-2976110

thanks. 

Edited by NCC1701A

We were told today the Disney+ channel will not be available via the AIS Playbox tomorrow, that is coming but still in the works.

I checked the AIS streaming site here using a PC:  https://aisplay.ais.co.th/portal/   

The Disney+ channel should be available there sometime tomorrow, so with a connected android box or smart tv (browser) you should be able to view the channel.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Been watching a lot of this stuff already via android box and various apps.

AIS has an offer that for some insanely small amount, subscribers have access to Disney+.  The question is how to get this from one's phone to a TV.

I found this in English at AIS's website https://www.ais.th/disney/en/qa.html

On your iOS / Android app

1. Download the Disney+ Hotstar application from your Apple App store or Google Play Store
  2. Enter your AIS mobile number to create an account > Click ‘Continue’
  3. You will receive a 4-digit code through SMS; Enter the 4-digit code onto the app > Click ‘Continue’
  4. Fill in your registration details
  5. Click on ‘Create Account’
  6. You will be redirected to the home page
  7. Start watching!

On your desktop browser

1. Visit www.disneyplushotstar.com
  2. Please agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy by clicking ‘Continue’
  3. Enter your AIS mobile number to create an account > Click ‘Continue’
  4. You will receive a 4-digit code through SMS; Enter the 4-digit code onto the app > Click ‘Continue’
  5. Fill in your registration details
  6. Click on ‘Create Account’
  7. You will be redirected to the home page
  8. Start watching!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

We were told today the Disney+ channel will not be available via the AIS Playbox tomorrow, that is coming but still in the works.

I checked the AIS streaming site here using a PC:  https://aisplay.ais.co.th/portal/   

The Disney+ channel should be available there sometime tomorrow, so with a connected android box or smart tv (browser) you should be able to view the channel.

thanks this is very helpful.

just to make this more clear, I have AIS cellphone account only, no AIS internet to my house. 

12 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

just to make this more clear, I have AIS cellphone account only, no AIS internet to my house. 

Same here. And just checked Android TV PlayStore - and there's no Disney+ or Hotstar app listed, although I see that some Samsung TVs come with it preinstalled. Mine is a Sony though, so only Netflix and Youtube preloaded.

Picture quality using wireless streaming (Airplay) is so so... the colours are limited, hence it looks like heavily overcompressed video from yesteryear. Would surely prefer to stream directly to TV rather than via phone.

Btw: the AIS support page also lists that Android TV is supported... under Living room devices.

image.thumb.png.42a64416a457c60892611c763307c74b.png

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

You can connect your phone to the tv by HDMI cable or casting

• Like 1

Seeing that they seem closely tied to AIS, I won't hold my breath for a compatible app on TRUE ID boxes. It's a good priced deal on offer but I would rather it had cost a bit more to include the back catalogue of shows and movies from Fox TV, ABC etc like they get in the US and UK.

1 hour ago, FarangryBirds said:

Seeing that they seem closely tied to AIS, I won't hold my breath for a compatible app on TRUE ID boxes. It's a good priced deal on offer but I would rather it had cost a bit more to include the back catalogue of shows and movies from Fox TV, ABC etc like they get in the US and UK.

Not tied to AIS only. You can get freely for 99 baht a month directly on their site, no matter which telecom you use, if any. I am only trying it for one show from National Geographic... not sure it'll be available, but it not, I've only thrown away 400 baht for one year, which is very cheap for a lesson.

• Like 1

Works a treat.

Just watched the first episode of 'Loki'.

The only slight difficulty is the log-in screen which is in Thai, phone number (+ code sent to phone number), name, age and sex are required for you to browse and play. Not so bad for 35bht/month.

Watched on my TV (connected to a PC), and tried the app.

disney 1.jpg

disney 2.jpg

They have all seasons of the X-Files .................. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

I had subscribed a few weeks ago.

App finally dropped today  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.startv.hotstartvonly

Installed, registered. For me there was an English (and a Thai) language option. Quite simple.

Streaming to my Chromecast. 

Not sure how to help the OP given they've provided very little information. Netflix is mentioned in the OP so maybe use the same process?

3rf Gen Chromecasts are pretty cheap here, available on Lazada and elsewhere.

Looks like there is some 4K content.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Works a treat.

Just watched the first episode of 'Loki'.

The only slight difficulty is the log-in screen which is in Thai, phone number (+ code sent to phone number), name, age and sex are required for you to browse and play. Not so bad for 35bht/month.

disney 1.jpg

disney 2.jpg

They have all seasons of the X-Files .................. 

which browser? i am getting this on Firefox: 

"The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

which browser? i am getting this on Firefox: 

"The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."

Microsoft edge in windows 10

Slimjet (Chrome varient) in windows 7

Both work fine for me.

xfiles.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

On your desktop browser

1. Visit www.disneyplushotstar.com
  2. Please agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy by clicking ‘Continue’
  3. Enter your AIS mobile number to create an account > Click ‘Continue’
  4. You will receive a 4-digit code through SMS; Enter the 4-digit code onto the app > Click ‘Continue’
  5. Fill in your registration details
  6. Click on ‘Create Account’
  7. You will be redirected to the home page
  8. Start watching!

thank you. i got it to work with this link. 

unfortunately i had to turn off my VPN to get it to work. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's a browser, right? Not an app?

So your PC functions as a wired remote?

Hopefully this a laptop? With an extra long HDMI cable? And what is the resolution?

Extra marks for being "old school". 

14 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So your PC functions as a wired remote?

Hopefully this a laptop? With an extra long HDMI cable? And what is the resolution?

ATX Tower + 65" LG screen resolution 4096 x 2160.

IMG_20210630_121415.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

ATX Tower + 65" LG screen resolution 4096 x 2160.

Cool, and you use the keyboard and mouse as a remote? Would a wireless keyboard and mouse make things a bit easier?

I think a very small part of the Disney + catalog (10%?) is 3840x2160

Is Carnivale in 4K?

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I will not get into details but I worked on every season of the X-Files.

thanks for your input. 

So you are the actor who played Deep Throat?

21 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Not tied to AIS only. You can get freely for 99 baht a month directly on their site, no matter which telecom you use, if any. I am only trying it for one show from National Geographic... not sure it'll be available, but it not, I've only thrown away 400 baht for one year, which is very cheap for a lesson.

Pleasantly to my surprise, I powered up my True Box today and the Disney+ App was advertised on the homepage. It took a little while before HBO and even Netflix had their apps available on the True box.

Also, I was really impressed with the amount of content, for that price of 799 a year, I was only expecting all the Disney stuff plus National Geographic. But, they've also bought over all the Fox and ABC shows that my friends back in the UK also have for about 600 baht a month????

• Like 2

For those with AIS Fibre and a Playbox, many say the app is now available on that device.

Long Twitter thread on @RichardBarrow with gazillions of work-arounds. 

For example, there is a native app for LG TVs now.

Service seems fine to me, have to learn a new UI - conditioned to Netflix. But able to find, and stream (from my phone to my Chromecast) content easily. Weekly drops seem slow, at least for Loki S01E04, which was available elsewhere much earlier. Could be a start-up aberration, or just how the roll here. 

Having an auto-log-in vs. remaining logged in would be nice but understand why they did it that way.

Does anyone know if you have more than two devices logged in, but one or both are not currently in use streaming, can a third device log in and stream?

I'll test this later today and post.

Edited by mtls2005

• 10 months later...
17 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

does anyone know if you can just buy a sim and not use it? or do you need to top up regularly

Well, you need the SIM to log-in, initially. And you need to keep it funded so they can pull the monthly fee. And it might be best to not let it expire.

So I would answer, yes, and yes.

Devices stay logged in. but occasionally you need the OTP SMS to log in again, or to share a log-in.

I was able to load the app. on my Chromecast (with Google TV), and can still cast the app from my phone directly to my TV or to my TV via the Chromecast.

Edited by mtls2005

13 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I just check on the "Internet" tab on my smart tv, enter Disney+ and good to go. Don't need any connection from the phone.

Yes, some smart TV's have a Disney + Hotstar App, or can run the Android TV version. Depends on the OS. There is a hack for Samsung TVs, which involves spoofing an Indian "location". There may even be a Samsung version now for thailand, I haven't checked recently.

And yes, Android TV boxes and other hang-on devices can run a version of the app.

For others, they use the built-in casting option of the mobile app - might be the easiest to use actually. Obviously you need a casting-supported TV or a casting-supported hang-on device.