Confusion re joining Social Security scheme after getting a WP from the wifes business

Years ago I worked at a thai government school and after finishing I reverted to the SS health scheme where I pay money every month and nominated my preferred hospital. I received a blue card with my SS number and have used the public hospital system a few times. 

Now I successfully applied for a WP via my wifes business. I went to try and register myself on the SS system as a staff member (similar to our staff). They said because Im married to my wife I dont have to make SS contributions. They said just keep paying the monthly money (direct debit) to the SS system. 

I went back to the labor dept to ask if this is ok that I dont pay SS i.e. if I want to renew the WP next year. The officer said it should not be a problem. 

I wanted to ask if anyone can confirm is this is correct?

My objective is to apply for thai citizenship in 3 yrs. If I havent paid the SS on my salary can I still apply for citizenship. I will be annoyed if Im rejected due to this.

thanks

On 7/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, jack71 said:

They said because Im married to my wife I dont have to make SS contributions. They said just keep paying the monthly money (direct debit) to the SS system. 

If you can register and pay the percentage from the wage, why not just do it, it's relative small money - i.e. 10 percent and max. 1,500 baht, rates are covid-reduced at present - then you have done your contributions, and might also be eligible for a share, or a better share, in the pension program.

Your wife (as your employer) is responsible for withholding and paying your taxes from your monthly salary. You are responsible for nagging her to do it. ????

All you need for renewal at the labor dept. is a copy of the tax receipt issued by the revenue dept. showing your taxes have been paid regardless of the amount.

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

If you can register and pay the percentage from the wage, why not just do it, it's relative small money - i.e. 10 percent and max. 1,500 baht, rates are covid-reduced at present - then you have done your contributions, and might also be eligible for a share, or a better share, in the pension program.

I was in the same situation as OP and they did not allow me to register. Its part of the SS law she was telling me. Actually I was relieved because in normal times its 5% contribution and thats 4000 a month which is a waste of money

Edited by bbabythai
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Your wife (as your employer) is responsible for withholding and paying your taxes from your monthly salary. You are responsible for nagging her to do it. ????

All you need for renewal at the labor dept. is a copy of the tax receipt issued by the revenue dept. showing your taxes have been paid regardless of the amount.

Is that correct? Is it only in situations where the wife operates via a company structure? 

Or is it also applicable where the wife operates as an Individual via her personal tax?

15 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Is that correct? Is it only in situations where the wife operates via a company structure? 

Or is it also applicable where the wife operates as an Individual via her personal tax?

Whomever "employs" is responsible for whomever is "employed". That being said, whether or not it always happens is a whole other issue. Foreigners are scrutinized 10 fold compared to Thais.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:43 PM, khunPer said:

then you have done your contributions, and might also be eligible for a share, or a better share, in the pension program.

Worked for 15 years in the entertainment business here in Thailand and when i left the first job that I was at for about 8 years I was told by our accountant to go to Sri Ratcha SS office and apply for my on going medical coverage. Went without a hitch. 

I was also given almost 80K that i did not expect deposited into my Thai bank account not sure why but did not question them. Went back to work and did the same as i had with the first job got all registered and 7 years later retired for good. 

I headed to the Sri Ratcha SS office once again this time was told can not get on going Medical as not for farang workers. They also gave me the runaround regarding my SS refund. I had a friend that had the very same thing happen he told me to go to the Rayong SS office. I got there they asked for my Thai SS card did a check and confirmed I can continue to have the coverage at a monthly cost of 432 baht a month taken from my Thai bank account. They also got my refund this time of a bit over 70K taken care of.

If you are told no can do try another office my guess was that the Sri Ratcha office was just to lazy and did not want to be bothered.  

On 7/2/2021 at 5:25 PM, jack71 said:

My objective is to apply for thai citizenship in 3 yrs. If I havent paid the SS on my salary can I still apply for citizenship. I will be annoyed if Im rejected due to this.

The social security payments are not relevant to applying for citizenship. 

The important thing is having continuous tax receipts for 3 years and a salary of over 40k.

5 hours ago, hereforgood said:

If you are told no can do try another office my guess was that the Sri Ratcha office was just to lazy and did not want to be bothered.  

Sane as in Khon Kaen, I had to demand my 150k baht and continued payment of he lrh insurance by looking up the law myself and showing it to them. 

Also, you can email the head office in Bangkok fir advice. 

• Like 1