Trying to get tourist visa to USA for my Thai girlfriend....what other things can I include to make it more convincing?

I'm fully aware that the visa is likely to be denied, but nonetheless, we'd like to try. I've searched the many threads on this, but I'd like to hear from others given our situation.

Background: I lived in Thailand from 2016-2018, but I had to move back to the United States in 2018 for health insurance for my Type 1 diabetes. I met a girl. She's typical and from a middle-class background from the north, but has lived in Bangkok the past 10 years doing various office jobs related to translation, marketing, and content writing. We're both 28. Since late 2018, we've maintained an LDR. We are trying to meet so that we can get married, but the pandemic has caused us to not see each other for 2 years and as a result, we can't yet apply for K1 visa til we see each other.

In 2020, our trip was cancelled obviously, and as a teacher, I'm really only able to visit over summer (July-August) or Christmas time (2 weeks off). I lose health care if I quit jobs (thanks USA), so quitting my job for a trip at a different time isn't an option so I'm relatively tied down to these months. I had plans to visit this summer, but we had a talk and we had to postpone again due to the rising cases in Thailand and the current situation. I'm not comfortable going somewhere where the health care system is overloaded.

So we're trying to get her to visit here, but I know we need to show strong ties to Thailand. Based on our situation, here's the documents we're going to get:

• letter from her employer that she is employed
  • letter from university where she is currently getting her Master's (won't be done for a few months)
  • her current apartment lease
  • copies of her passport (showing trips to Australia as a student, Malaysia/China for work, and Taiwan for a 2-month study program)
  • her finances (she's not wealthy, but middle class)
  • invitation letter from me stating her accommodations would be covered (can also have one from my parents as well)

Honestly, the purpose of her visit is to see her so we can push paperwork for K1. I'll try to revisit Thailand in December on my break as well, but who knows what the country will look like then. Hopefully there's another country we could meet that allows her. Otherwise, we wait til next June.

What other documents should we use? What information should I include on the invitation letter that might be more convincing? I do plan on acknowledging the relationship because I believe it's worse to be caught in a lie. I'm debating whether to even mention K1....like I wish I could just explain she wants to visit for 1-2 weeks and then return and then go through things the proper way. She's definitely going to return, but I know US immigration does not take the time to review things carefully and with nuance. I'm hopeful we get a compassionate immigration person who can look at our situation and grant a visa for this.

I think that one of the most important visa criteria is the need to prove that the person has reason to want to return to Thailand. Owning property with proof of ownership in the applicant's name counts for alot as does a steady job...............Best of luck..................

• Like 1

Sadly, I think there is little chance she gets a tourist visa - not enough to compel a return to Thailand IMO.  The best thing she could do, which makes no sense for your situation, is to show trips to Europe (Schengen country) or maybe Australia - at least then there is a history of travel to a country with somewhat comparable visa standards.  I believe such travel is looked upon very favorably by embassy officials.

For the K1, why dont you take advantage of the Phuket sandbox and have her meet you there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have photos of the 2 of you together include a few. Also some (line) chats with timestamps. This way they can see that you have been talking for years. 

And yes include a letter of invitation from your parents as well, everything helps.

Good luck Dan.

Edited by MayBeNow

Thailand has companies that specialize in helping Thai citizens get visas.  She'll know how to contact one...  They'll coach her on what documents to bring, what NOT to bring, what not to say in the interview, etc.

According to the company my friend hired to help her get a visa to visit me, they told her not to even mention me.  But I'd go with the suggestions your GF would get.  My friend got a 10 year tourist visa- first try, with just a good job and a passport showing she spent time in Australia as a student.  No real assets to speak of...  But I couldn't tell you what tipped the decision in her favor.

• Like 1

I suggest you read the comments to my query "How does a Thai Get a Visa to the US?" which has been running for the last week.  Lots of good advice in the 60+ responses.  My situation is remarkably similar.  I am helping my GF explore the possibilities of a B-2 visa at the same time I am awaiting COE approval for Phuket (also before classes start).  Agree that US vaccine and private Thai hospitals provide adequate security for me.

47 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

I suggest you read the comments to my query "How does a Thai Get a Visa to the US?" which has been running for the last week.  Lots of good advice in the 60+ responses.  My situation is remarkably similar.  I am helping my GF explore the possibilities of a B-2 visa at the same time I am awaiting COE approval for Phuket (also before classes start).  Agree that US vaccine and private Thai hospitals provide adequate security for me.

Yes, I saw that thread. I'm getting regrets on cancelling now. The toughest challenge is whether to acknowledge the relationship or not....on one hand, you want to be honest so she doesn't get rejected or recorded for lying (as we intend to marry one day), but it also seems like a death blow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Thailand has companies that specialize in helping Thai citizens get visas.  She'll know how to contact one...  They'll coach her on what documents to bring, what NOT to bring, what not to say in the interview, etc.

According to the company my friend hired to help her get a visa to visit me, they told her not to even mention me.  But I'd go with the suggestions your GF would get.  My friend got a 10 year tourist visa- first try, with just a good job and a passport showing she spent time in Australia as a student.  No real assets to speak of...  But I couldn't tell you what tipped the decision in her favor.

Thanks - interesting point. I'll have her look into some of those. It's a tough decision whether to mention me, because I'd be writing her an invitation letter to cover her stay. On one hand, don't want to lie (especially nervous because I don't want her record to have a "mark" on it or something for future visas) but also, it seems like a death blow to acknowledge a boyfriend, especially one who is in the states. I'll definitely let her know to emphasize her travel history....includes Australia (twice), Singapore (twice), Taiwan, Malaysia, and Laos. So hopefully that helps.

2 hours ago, TimBKK said:

Sadly, I think there is little chance she gets a tourist visa - not enough to compel a return to Thailand IMO.  The best thing she could do, which makes no sense for your situation, is to show trips to Europe (Schengen country) or maybe Australia - at least then there is a history of travel to a country with somewhat comparable visa standards.  I believe such travel is looked upon very favorably by embassy officials.

For the K1, why dont you take advantage of the Phuket sandbox and have her meet you there?

Yeah, I'm regretting cancelling the trip. COVID has scared me a lot and I had a couple of hospitalizations due to GI problems and diabetes (despite it being well-controlled), so the recent surge has me so nervous. I probably overstated the risk, but what's done is done. I'll tell her to emphasize the travel a lot - she's done trips to Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, and Laos, no overstays at all. It's also been her dream to experience Christmas in the US, so hopefully she can just focus on those things for a quick 1-2 week trip.

Unless things have drastically changed, some of the comments may not be current rea. a Tourist Visa.

First, a Thai agency can really do nothing for you.  They have no "in" at the US Embassy not sure what a person is expecting them to do it seems a waste of money.

The application is done online.  There was no option to attach a bunch of documents when I saw the process, you write about yourself and history and finances no option to attach proof, letters, etc.  I guess a person can bring these documents with them but good luck having the Embassy agent taking the time to look at them.

There was no real interview.  If seems they review the application prior to the embassy appointment.  The majority are rejected they ask the applicant nothing and they cannot plead their case.  If the applicant asks them why the rejection,  they hand them a piece of paper which says they can apply again in the future and basically say leave now.

Unfortunately, It is a very impersonal and cold process I think the US Embassy staff in this area seems to need some training on proper and respectful interaction with others and provide more information as to why the rejection and what to do in the future to get approved.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

My friend tried same. 

US Embassy in BKK invited her and made it clear that they suspected her not to return to Thailand but probably working in the Red Light area. 

All documents might have been even doctored. 

So don't hope it will work. 

However, if you would marry her..... ????

Apologies ....haven't read through the thread, but I have been granted/refused visas for six Thai gf's over the years...........assuming all is in order the big thing immigration seem to look for is this........

What is there to make her want to return to Thailand.....work, property, children, family???

Been refused twice on the grounds that a gf had no reason to return .

I would have a good chat with each other & maybe just put things off for a "little while"

Obviously decision is made to "get hitched" which is great.

The decision on where to settle in the long term needs a lot of thought as not just so easy for

her to commit to a life away from Thailand, even though she may say that.

Come out next year, get your engagement visa (which you will know is a one off)

& get married within the period of the visa (3 months. I think? ) in the US

Best of luck with your health.

Incidently private hospitals here are not overloaded. I went last week & going again tomorrow with no signs of being overwhelmed

On 7/2/2021 at 6:34 PM, bojo said:

I think that one of the most important visa criteria is the need to prove that the person has reason to want to return to Thailand. Owning property with proof of ownership in the applicant's name counts for alot as does a steady job...............Best of luck..................

Maybe the USA thinks differently but I've seen comments like this a few times.  Speaking in relation to UK Immigration - whilst property ownership might be useful, it does not weigh heavily on any decision.

People seem to think that property ownership makes it more likely that the applicant will return - why?  Think about it, why would an immigration officer consider that owning property makes any difference? Property can be bought, sold, rented, transferred etc, remotely - it does not make a visa applicant any more likely to return.

Once the normal anti terrorism and criminal activity checks are completed the number one factor in any visitor visa application is that an immigration officer believes the applicant is a genuine visitor and will leave the destination country before their visa expires.  What an applicant needs to portray is a stable life in their home country, a regular job, close family ties and a generally stable life is what an immigration officer is looking for.

Second to reasons to return is to show funds are available to cover the entire cost of the trip - to reduce the chances of the applicant becoming a burden should things go wrong.

People include property ownership in their application, get the visa and think the property ownership was the main reason for success.  As I say, maybe the USA thinks differently but property ownership on its own counts for diddly squat with the UK. 

The fact that the OP's girlfriend has travelled to Australia and returned would be a big plus point in my opinion - the other countries won't do any harm but they will not carry the same weight. From other comments It appears that the USA may consider job details could be fake - does she earn enough to pay tax and social security?  If so she will have tax records and a social security history. Those documents could be used to strengthen an employment record.  Again the USA may behave differently but I can't quite work out the comments about potentially fake employment - the UK agencies quite often check out a claim of employment if they are at all suspicious.

OP, if you are really convinced that a visitor visa application is too difficult and likely to fail - then you need to get yourself to Thailand and marry the girl.  Its July now so you should be on holiday - Phuket is open. I presume you're vaccinated? Stop worrying about Covid, meet her in Phuket, go to the Amphur and get married.  I know a marriage visa is not plain sailing but my friend married an American and although the process was lengthy she got her USA visa without too many problems.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 7/3/2021 at 12:25 AM, thedan663 said:

We are trying to meet so that we can get married, but the pandemic has caused us to not see each other for 2 years and as a result, we can't yet apply for K1 visa til we see each other.

I wouldn't worry too much about that two year requirement. USCIS should be aware that an ongoing pandemic is wreaking havoc with international travel, and shouldn't be too hung up on that time period if you can show that you met the girl frequently prior to the outbreak. The State Department's regulations state the following:

9 FAM 502.7-3(C)(5)  (U) K-1 and K-2 Visa Adjudication

(CT:VISA-1304;   06-24-2021)

a. (U) Adjudication Factors:

(1)  (U) Petitioner and Beneficiary Must Have Met:  USCIS regulations (8 CFR 214.2(k)(2)) require that the petitioner and the K-1 beneficiary have met in person within two years immediately preceding the filing of the petition. At the USCIS director's discretion, this requirement can be waived if it is established that compliance would result in extreme hardship to the petitioner or that compliance would violate strict and long-established customs of the beneficiary's foreign culture.

• Like 1

Thedan663, I have sponsored two wives, 2 stepsons for immigration to the US and have assisted a few relatives and friends with various kinds of visas over the years. In my estimation the worse thing you can do is have her let Immigration know that she is coming to the US to be with a boyfriend. That is a dead give away red flag and she will most likely be denied immediately. There should be absolutely no mention of you. She needs to be going as a tourist with a tour plan in mind or to visit relatives who may live there. Immigration is only concerned with whether of not she will return and has something of value in Thailand which would necessitate her having to return. They have had too many bad experiences with girls going to the US to visit a boyfriend or fiancee and then running away, so she will most likely be denied right away. Money in the bank and ownership in local property is a huge plus. 

If you don't think that will work for her, then your best bet is to either come here and be legally married and then sponsor her as your wife, or apply for the fiancee visa. If you do the fiancee visa then that is the time that you will need to produce evidence of your relationship.

If she proceeds under any of those scenarios, make sure that she dresses in a professional type business suit and is very modest looking. She mustn't act afraid or intimidated and she should carry herself with great confidence. These immigration people are looking for every rat in the woodpile and they are trained to look for certain profiles and red flags. First impressions are terribly important, and she may only get one shot at it. I wish you all the best!

• Like 1

No chance. All the stuff in your op is meaningless.

Best she apply with a male Thai friend for a covid vax + tour.

The app is in English, about 25 webpages deep. She must show at the embassy. B5000 gambit.

12 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

In my estimation the worse thing you can do is have her let Immigration know that she is coming to the US to be with a boyfriend. That is a dead give away red flag

Yup.

Well as someone who has had experience with applying for a tourist visa for a Thai girlfriend I can tell you that it can be a challenge.  Back in 2017 I met a Thai woman on Match and we exchanged emails and Facebook chats for several months before I invited her to the USA.  I book us a cruise.  There she could present that we had an established relationship, that there was a definitive booking for a holiday, and that she had a fully paid round trip ticket from Thailand back to Thailand.  She got approved.  At that time, I did not know about the hurdles and frankly I am surprised she got approved.  She didn't own a home, nor was she employed.  So her connection to bring her back to Thailand was pretty thin.  Now at the time I was 69 she was 55 so perhaps the age assisted in getting her approved. 

With you, the U.S. Embassy is going to be concerned that the tourist visa is nothing but a scam to get her into the USA and she will not return but rather either stay illegally or she would apply once in the USA for a change in status while you pursued getting a K-1 Visa.   

You have one of two alternatives.  One apply for the tourist visa and say nothing about your plans to apply for a K-1 visa.  Mentioning it would certainly kill any chance she has.  You could send a letter of invitation to her, and I would not elaborate on your long term relationship which again will raise the suspicion of the Embassy.  I would purchase her a round trip ticket, with a "refundable ticket" and then have an itinerary completely planned out.  Show a "trip" complete with rental car reservation, and hotels.  A trip to Disney would be good providing any of what I mentioned is booked with a deposit that is refundable.  She could then show the Embassy that there clearly was a holiday.  That along with the fact she is employed and has family here back in Thailand may do the trick. 

The other alternative would be to not mention you at all.  Book the trip by herself or better yet with a girlfriend.  Again get the trip all booked with hotel reservations, car rental, etc to demonstrate that this is a vacation. The girlfriend of course would have no real intentions to go.  However two girls traveling on holiday is less suspect that one single girl. 

The more the Embassy sees you in the picture as a potential husband the more suspicious they will be that she is getting the Tourist Visa just to side step the Fiancé or Marriage Visa process. 

One other post mentioned going on a vaccine junket.  Yes that is an excellent idea.  She can easily say that with the lack of Pfizer here in Thailand she plans on combining receiving the Covid vaccine and of course combining it with a holiday since it has to be a minimum of 3 weeks between the shots.  Again, having a girlfriend part of the plans would help conceal that she is really going to see you.  Again, if you can somehow get a hospital or clinic to book her for an injection and she could show that appointment or a receipt from a pharmacy showing it is paid for, her going to the USA for the vaccines is just that much more plausible. 

Edited by Thomas J

if one applies to go down the 'vaxx route' it may be prudent to actually play the whole game of getting that US Jab - as the evidence of a resultant 'vaccine passport' existence might get tested for on the way back? 

• Like 1

Having worked at the US Embassy In Thailand for 14 yrs, I agree US Embassy staff need a lot more training on proper and respectful interaction with others, and to provide more information as to why the rejection and what to do in the future to get approved. The worst Consular to have a interview with would be a Thai born women who is now a US citizen, seen a few and they had the highs rejection rate for young Thai lady's. The most important thing is prove of a compiling reason that you are going to return to Thailand. Trips to other countries seem good but to wester countries much better. Owning a house or Cond not so in it can be sold, money in the bank it can be deleted from the US. If you have friends living in the US  especially if they are now US citizen now, and going to visit and tour a little with that would help. I marry my Thai wife in the US but that was 40 years ago. She applied showing pictures of me and letters we wrote back and fourth for two years. I supplied a State Dept. form saying I would be sure she return if we did not marry with in the 90 days period, plus prove of stable income that could support us both. With days of her interview she receive her visa. We were married in 70 days of our first meeting.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 2:28 AM, Dickp said:

Having worked at the US Embassy In Thailand for 14 yrs, I agree US Embassy staff need a lot more training on proper and respectful interaction with others, and to provide more information as to why the rejection and what to do in the future to get approved. The worst Consular to have a interview with would be a Thai born women who is now a US citizen, seen a few and they had the highs rejection rate for young Thai lady's. The most important thing is prove of a compiling reason that you are going to return to Thailand. Trips to other countries seem good but to wester countries much better. Owning a house or Cond not so in it can be sold, money in the bank it can be deleted from the US. If you have friends living in the US  especially if they are now US citizen now, and going to visit and tour a little with that would help. I marry my Thai wife in the US but that was 40 years ago. She applied showing pictures of me and letters we wrote back and fourth for two years. I supplied a State Dept. form saying I would be sure she return if we did not marry with in the 90 days period, plus prove of stable income that could support us both. With days of her interview she receive her visa. We were married in 70 days of our first meeting.

Unfortunately those days are long gone.

I try to tell folks a tourist visa for Thai women is a total <deleted> shoot nowadays, and without any formal response for the rejection like the Brits get, rinse and repeat can get expensive.

My wife grew up through her teenage years in Chicago with her uncle and aunt, US college educated before returning to Asia.

I thought we checked all the boxes, good job, house etc etc. Of course she got denied when all I wanted was for us to visit my daughter who had just had a baby.

So after 20 years together I finally married her legally just so I could get her a greencard and move to the US. 

Ironically nothing had changed between the tourist visa application and when we filed for an immigrant visa.

I's a weird system