Thai landlord wants to increase the rent by 20% :(

On 7/3/2021 at 2:51 AM, falangUK said:

also we have invested in improving the bathroom, roof, etc

Was the landlord aware that you were doing this? Was any temporary reduction in rent put in place to cover the cost of your upgrades? How much money did you "invest" in these improvements? Me, I like to get a positive return on investments. I don't call throwing money away an investment.  

• Like 1

I refuse to deal with greedy landlords like yours. My landlord lowed my rent by 2,000 baht. And I didn't even ask. I'm sure he didn't want me to go shopping around and find a better place for less money. 

There are some great deals out there now. I will be up grading before my contract ends in November.  Found a place twice the size 3 bed room 2 bath. Very large balcony. Room for table and 4 chairs plus a BBQ. With a pool at 1,000 baht less. And electric at 3.8 per unit. Free wifi and cable TV with 96 channels.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chuang said:

How much.. stop the mumbo jumbo..

Exactly.  

Is he living in a thatch hut for ฿1000/month (with the neighbors paying ฿500) and his repairs to the bathroom were a new bum-gun hose and a few extra pieces of bamboo on the roof?  And now, the evil landlord is trying to squeeze him for an extra ฿200

Without details, this thread is meaningless.

BBD8AEC1-9215-4DF5-A0E1-BEF62AB63988.jpeg

6FB146B5-5C45-44F9-AD02-A018133EE207.webp

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 1

What would be a fair amount?…”

A 50% reduction, plus 3 months free, but personally I would give your landlord a big middle finger and find an even better deal elsewhere.

With the money you save, you could hire a Cambodian crew to help you with the move. 

• Like 1

just look around and find a new place. i did this many times and many landlord offer me to come back because was a good tenant and had no problems. even deducted on the old prices. So it is worth to move. beside that you get new neightbours too.

• Like 1

Very simply, the landlord wants to increase the rent based upon the perceived increase in value to the property due to your expenditure. Never mind whether this makes sense, what the landlord has signalled to you is that any further spending on your behalf is also going to get the same treatment ie request for further monies at rental agreement time. Therefore there is no further incentive for you to continue improving and maintaining the property to a desired standard. In short, it is time to move. 

• Thanks 1

bit of some rambling here but: yeah, sometimes I wonder how business in general works here.

my landlady here has been cranking the price nonstop for years and blaming it on "electric" every time but it's still cheap compared to  back home and still 4 digits so there's not much to complain about but..

one day I got my lady friend to call the place across the street that has been renovated years ago and inquire how much they wanted for their unfurnished shophouse (4 floors, 4 rooms total, 1 very small and a medium one on 3rd floor and 2 small ones on top, plus the shophouse ground level.

they wanted 18,000 for it.. if it was 8,000-10,000 I might have taken them up on it (I'm sure the landlady here would have hated me forever tho)

I can walk 5 minutes close by and rent a very similar one for 6000 (but this one has better access)

as a result, it's been empty for over 2 years.

wouldn't take 10,000 per month, 0 per month is clearly better

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, patman30 said:

they might want you out so they can sell the property
or sell the property they are living in and move into that property
just because they are the landlord
dont expect everything to be fine and dandy for them
although it does sound like you have already let them take advantage of you, so they might aswell try.

A landlord just  needs to not re-new the lease/rental agreement to get someone out, no need to make things up.

Most likely  the landlord is doing the typical thai fashion you have less money coming in you increase the prices on the money you do have coming in. It's terrible logic but thats what they do. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, connda said:

I was just going to say.  What most people don't grasp here is that this economic destruction is 100% a function of government policy, and the government will double-down before they ease up.  I've been making predictions and saving them for a year after I post them.  Much like we'll all still be wearing masks come July 4th 2022. Or like the real estate market is going to take a major beating, property owners are going to lose their properties to the banks, and the banks themselves will be screaming for bailouts from the IMF before this is over.  The government will just look smug, wash their hands, and say, "What can we do?"
"Ummm, take your knee off of the neck of the country maybe and stop killing small and medium business as a start?

This doesn't end anytime soon.  If it does I'll eat my sombrero and I'll be ecstatic.  But I don't think my sombrero has anything to be worried about.

All true. And the coward sabateurs will never take responsibility for their reign of destruction. They are not man enough to do so. They are confused, unable, incapable, greedy, and not smart. 

Woe is the nation under the feeble army leadership. May the youth prevail! 

5 minutes ago, falangUK said:

Thai

Which begs the question if they may still feel Covid is a foreigners illness?  So owner trying to get you out to satisfy the others?  

At this point do believe it is best to just move - as pointed out actual move should not be that expensive and hopefully you will be appreciated more at new location for less cost.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Presnock said:

Just google Large trucks and labor to move furniture to another house.

No need for Google   just go look on the lamp post, telegraph poles, electric poles and trees in the local area

where you see "4-6"    that's a removal service.

P_20180220_162230_1.thumb.jpg.aaea9d6efad38c60c43ef6e00dc5562b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 2:05 PM, Exploring Thailand said:

Yeah, it was slightly tongue in cheek.  If the OP can find a better, cheaper place, and then go back to the current landlord and say something like "I'd really like to stay here but I can't afford to pay increase rent. I've had a look around and found these places...". The landlord might be persuaded to drop the idea of an increase, but pushing for a reduction is probably hoping for a lot. 

Why play games with this Landlord.

Just simply find anther place ( which could be better value for money ), and tell him his property is not worth the additional rent

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Showtime said:

Just say no, don't move, and keep paying the same rent.

Ongoing disputes here -with Thais in particular- are just not worth it.

Tho when he moves the PoS landlord will very likely screw him on his deposit as well.

But its better than bending over for some wetwipe with clearly no business sense at all.  That moron landlord will now have an empty property for years in this climate, especially if he pulls this stunt habitually.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Very simply, the landlord wants to increase the rent based upon the perceived increase in value to the property due to your expenditure. Never mind whether this makes sense, what the landlord has signalled to you is that any further spending on your behalf is also going to get the same treatment ie request for further monies at rental agreement time. Therefore there is no further incentive for you to continue improving and maintaining the property to a desired standard. In short, it is time to move. 

Spot on! 

Landlord saw the improvements and came up with the brilliant idea of a 20% increase ???? 

13 minutes ago, falangUK said:

Far from the city? 

Doi Saket.

I also rented a 2 bedroom bungalow with a substantial front garden at Don Keow for 6k/month.

Plenty of houses around San Sai and MaeJo for similar prices.

Just take a look on Facebook Marketplace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Doi Saket.

I also rented a 2 bedroom bungalow with a substantial front garden at Don Keow for 6k/month.

Plenty of houses around San Sai and MaeJo for similar prices.

Just take a look on Facebook Marketplace.

Thanks ???? will try that. Driving around looking for houses did not yield results. Too many greedy landlords ???? 

On 7/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, falangUK said:

Currently paying 100% more compared to my immediate neighbour, 87% more compared to other neighbours.

Sounds to me like your landlord has an extravagant lifestyle which he is looking to you (and his other tenants?) to continue subsidising...

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 1:53 PM, BusyB said:

Isn't there something like a tenants association in Thailand?

Where you pay a modest subscription, get free legal advice and legal cover to go with it?

That lobbies for tenants rights etc.?

Wow. That would be incredibly progressive. I cannot even imagine such a thing here. Standing up for the rights of consumers? Huh?

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 1:46 PM, BritManToo said:

3 bedroom detached bungalow with small garden in gated community.

1/2 furnished.

nice.  How many sqm?  

Sorry, I'm totally new to the world of Thai size homes and condo's.  Standard sizes here make every place I ever lived in US huge

20 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

nice.  How many sqm?  
Sorry, I'm totally new to the world of Thai size homes and condo's.  Standard sizes here make every place I ever lived in US huge

Similar to this but bigger garden, all 6k/month.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/870656426876490

and this

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/326848628954658

or how about a shophouse

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2909408715989235

Something a bit bigger near Central Festival 7k/month

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/542334150107254

Edited by BritManToo

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Wish FB diidn't call the queen slutty lol.  
I miss translation.

But wow, that last one is nice, and they look pretty big.

Maybe it's time to move to dif part of thailand for a try.

On 7/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, falangUK said:

Before this proposed 20% hike >>

Currently paying 100% more compared to my immediate neighbour, 87% more compared to other neighbours.

last rent increase was 5 years ago.

also we have invested in improving the bathroom, roof, etc

how CAN YOU INVEST when the property is NOT even yours.

your a fool for paying/doing any work/improvements to something THAT YOU DO NOT OWN !!!!!

• Sad 1

On 7/3/2021 at 4:14 PM, CharlieH said:

I would just tell him, increase and I will look to move ! 

The landlord is possibly suffering in other areas as many are and is wanting "the rich ferang" to subsidise his other loss.

Be firm, be polite but mean it ! 

Find another suitable place first, show him the details if needs be, but stand your ground. It may be worth the hassle factor, and "save face" for him to offer him a compromise that you can live with. Only you know what that is.

Whilst agreeing with the context of this. I would be asking the landlord: "Why do you want me to leave"?