Thai landlord wants to increase the rent by 20% :(

Hi all,
What is the average % rent increase in Thailand and in Chiang Mai?
Rather strange considering the demand is at an all time low, and there are many abandoned houses in the area. 

The best option will be to move, but with the amount of furniture and other things that have accumulated over the years, it's a herculean task.

Is there a way to calculate rent increase per annum?
What would be a fair amount?
TIA :) 

7 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Depends what you are paying now, is it super cheap. When was the last rent increase?

Before this proposed 20% hike >>

Currently paying 100% more compared to my immediate neighbour, 87% more compared to other neighbours.

last rent increase was 5 years ago.

also we have invested in improving the bathroom, roof, etc

Edited by falangUK
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Start by forgetting the idea of a "fair" rent.  No one wants a fair rent.  Renters want to pay less and landlords want to collect more.  We had difficulties last year getting some changes for our apartment which we had been renting for nine years.  Landlord refused to agree to requested changes so we moved to another unit in the same building for 30% less rent.  Our former apartment is still unrented, of course, because foreigners are not coming to Thailand. 

Thais think of property as a store of value more than as a source of income.  Strange, but that's how they see it.  And landlords consider themselves socially superior to renters.  So, sometimes they make stupid choices.

I am a landlord in the UK, I reduced the rent by 15% (while absorbing the increased management costs, letting fees etc)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, falangUK said:

I am a landlord in the UK, I reduced the rent by 15% (while absorbing the increased management costs, letting fees etc)

Supply and demand innit......I am sure if the demand was high and supply low it would have been a 15% increase.

• Like 2