I want to replace my pool sand filter with AFM Glass Filter. Who's have experience with AFM Glass filter?

Annieta

Do you really believe that it brings you something? The ol' good quartz sand is in the river for millions years, has it got deteriorated? And does he clean the mountain creek waters insufficiently?

I have extensive experience with "Eco Clear" recycled glass filtration media.

I is far superior to any other media including silica sand.

It does a much finer (Lower micron) filtration & last at leat 3 times longer.

See brochure attached.

Please be aware that there is also recycled bottle glass (Different mixed colour) which is not the same is can cause problems!

1856816587_Plateglass.thumb.jpg.d9576a646cc53e034e0d5fc642a0551b.jpg680744349_BottleGlass.jpg.81befeb99be55d1162a7d524f8ddc8e2.jpg

Eco Clear.pdf

Most of the glass pool filter media of the few different brands imported to Thailand is recycled bottled glass with some ground industrial glass offcuts. An independent study  by the Australian Water Quality Centre clearly shows the differences between various kinds of pool filtration media, including the more expensive zeolite marketed by 'Zelbrite'.

Good pool shops that stock all kinds of media will explain the pros and cons of each type and let customers decide for themselves according to their budgets.

Glass media comes in 25 Kg bags. The laterals in the filter should first be covered with coarse grain, and the rest should be fine grain. Glass media generally only needs 70 - 75% of the equivalent recommended weight of sand for the filter.

Prices of glass media - which is pretty much the same stuff - differ wildly, especially when re-marketed at high prices by 'big name' pool equipment brands.

There are also huge differences in the delivery costs when purchased online. Choose a store that does not make a profit on the transport costs. Balance the advertised prices against the shipping costs. Shop around.

Pool filter media.jpg

Edited by SwimmingPoolsThailand
impr. prose.
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

I changed my sand to glass 4 weeks ago, lazada about 650 a bag0.8 to 1.5. 2 weeks ago I put in a blue gel from lazada and wow ,it's the best my pool has ever been in 21 years. I would definitely recommend glass over sand anyday. 

• Like 2

"I want to replace my pool sand filter with AFM Glass Filter."

Do you have access to AFM in Thailand??

AFM is indeed an amazing water filtering media.

https://www.drydenaqua.com/files/pools/resources/pdf/test_results/IFTS_Report_E_Print.pdf

And quality sand is still not far behind at water filtration - sand beats every other glass media except AFM.

AFM.PNG.cfc73a4aeb51e3085d26a1aa5b50e4a0.PNG

• Haha 1

The sand did come out rather well in the study .The reason is that the sand used in the test was a very high quality sand which has a very hard silica content .

It is not your usual run of filtration sand . it comes from an area in the UK called Leighton Buzzard as mentioned in the Test. This sand is now becoming rarer as the quarry only has a finite amount and will probably be dearer than glass media now.

It is a good filtration media used extensively in the UK, it used to be specified by name by all UK water treatment consultants.

I personally have examined this sand that has been in filters for 10 years or more and has not shown any signs of ware.

So in my mind the test is  skewed by the company commissioning the tests. why not use sand as supplied by the big named suppliers to give a fairer comparison

The company in question also produce and supply crushed bottled glass media non AFM why was that not included in their tests.???

AFM have a supplier in Thailand google is your friend.

Some one asked a while back how can you tell if the media is worn, very simple really a magnifying glass or a cheap pocket microscope.

If he sand shows no sharp edges or has been rounded it is worn out.

How to destroy the filter bed in your filter simple again, back wash weekly.  Filter beds need 3 or 4 days of use to settle. if fitted go by the pressure gauge fitted on your multiport, following the filter manufactures instruction.Or monthly should suffice.

As a general thought , the better end of the pool industry  have their own choice of products that they will offer to their clients and will try and push the sale of such item, profit is a small part of this but the main reason that items are tried tested  and above all this results in very happy clients..

As a parting thought there may well be a few cowboy companies out there, but from my personal dealings there are more cowboy customers.!!!

I am now retired. But if you need any information on pools etc  PM @BAGWAIN forum member, Swimming pools Thailand forum sponsors both great minds of information

• Thanks 1

Sapparest is wise. I suspect, like me, a retired pool professional.

Too much backwashing seems to be a tradition here in Thailand and many (if not most) pool firms recommend doing it once a week or after every vacuuming session. The wasted water helps boost their sales of chlorine and chemicals. Unless one is using a pool filter to filter a murky koi fish pond, it actually takes quite a while - sometimes weeks - for the pressure to build up whichever media is used.

AFM is more than double the price here than the far superior Zelbrite - which they conveniently didn't include in their 'research'. I swear by Zelbrite. I've been using the same load since before most expats had pools built in Thailand!

(Disclaimer, I'm not a shill for the product or the people who sell it. I'm just a very old, very long-term customer of what I belive to be one of the most trustworthy pool firms in the country. Tough luck if they are not in you area and you have to buy online) ???? 

43 minutes ago, unheard said:

Thanks for a suggestion, but bagwain here is actively pushing the EcoClear media as the ultimate do it all.

btw, in the other thread you've mentioned an example of Astral as a high quality glass media, but it has performed rather poorly in the above-mentioned test.

Astral don't actually make many products these days. They are just a brand name of Fluidra who bought them out a few years ago along with a host of other pool brands who reputations were sinking. It's all made by Fluidra factories around the world and probably in places where labour is cheap.  A quick comparison of online prices will soon establish that Astral prices for all 'their' products are extremely high, due mainly to the need for satisfying layers and layers of Fluidra shareholders' demands for dividends. In the pool market, high prices are rarely indicative of best quality whether here in Thailand or in Europe.

EcoClear is just another of the dozens of run-of-the mill glass crushers - there are about 6 different purveyors in Thailand of the same brand in various packaging design and wildly different prices, all making the same wild claims. There is no knowing where it actually comes from.

Edited by Chaichara
typos

6 minutes ago, Chaichara said:

Astral don't actually make many products these days. They are just a brand name of Fluidra who bought them out a few years ago along with a host of othe pool brands who reputations were sinking.

Thanks for the info!

It's really hard to navigate through all the marketing noise.

Just now, unheard said:

Thanks for the info!

It's really hard to navigate through all the marketing noise.

The positive noise, at least,  is to sort the hype from the marketeers who use the forum free of charge to sell their wares, and in the faint hope that some readers won't let the wool be pulled over their eyes by street market-style shills. Yes, pool people in Thailand often have a bit of the Del Boy about them ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaichara said:

Astral don't actually make many products these days. They are just a brand name of Fluidra who bought them out a few years ago along with a host of other pool brands who reputations were sinking. It's all made by Fluidra factories around the world and probably in places where labour is cheap.  A quick comparison of online prices will soon establish that Astral prices for all 'their' products are extremely high, due mainly to the need for satisfying layers and layers of Fluidra shareholders' demands for dividends. In the pool market, high prices are rarely indicative of best quality whether here in Thailand or in Europe.

EcoClear is just another of the dozens of run-of-the mill glass crushers - there are about 6 different purveyors in Thailand of the same brand in various packaging design and wildly different prices, all making the same wild claims. There is no knowing where it actually comes from.

Absolute rubbish! Are you in the industry?

I doubt it!

My experience is enough to know about the difference in the "So called crushed glass is all the same"

Did my homework & add that to many dozens of happy customers both commercial & domestic!

You keyboard warriors are all the same! (Know Jack ????) other than Google! Bahahahaha

Please explain to me about the "Electrification" on the top of the medias in Q's and how it effects filtration!

Edited by Bagwain

4 hours ago, sappersrest said:

The sand did come out rather well in the study .The reason is that the sand used in the test was a very high quality sand which has a very hard silica content .

It is not your usual run of filtration sand . it comes from an area in the UK called Leighton Buzzard as mentioned in the Test. This sand is now becoming rarer as the quarry only has a finite amount and will probably be dearer than glass media now.

It is a good filtration media used extensively in the UK, it used to be specified by name by all UK water treatment consultants.

I personally have examined this sand that has been in filters for 10 years or more and has not shown any signs of ware.

So in my mind the test is  skewed by the company commissioning the tests. why not use sand as supplied by the big named suppliers to give a fairer comparison

The company in question also produce and supply crushed bottled glass media non AFM why was that not included in their tests.???

AFM have a supplier in Thailand google is your friend.

Some one asked a while back how can you tell if the media is worn, very simple really a magnifying glass or a cheap pocket microscope.

If he sand shows no sharp edges or has been rounded it is worn out.

How to destroy the filter bed in your filter simple again, back wash weekly.  Filter beds need 3 or 4 days of use to settle. if fitted go by the pressure gauge fitted on your multiport, following the filter manufactures instruction.Or monthly should suffice.

As a general thought , the better end of the pool industry  have their own choice of products that they will offer to their clients and will try and push the sale of such item, profit is a small part of this but the main reason that items are tried tested  and above all this results in very happy clients..

As a parting thought there may well be a few cowboy companies out there, but from my personal dealings there are more cowboy customers.!!!

I am now retired. But if you need any information on pools etc  PM @BAGWAIN forum member, Swimming pools Thailand forum sponsors both great minds of information

Well said & pertinent!

I love this - As a parting thought there may well be a few cowboy companies out there, but from my personal dealings there are more cowboy customers.!!!

Cheers! ????????

13 hours ago, kelboy said:

I changed my sand to glass 4 weeks ago, lazada about 650 a bag0.8 to 1.5. 2 weeks ago I put in a blue gel from lazada and wow ,it's the best my pool has ever been in 21 years. I would definitely recommend glass over sand anyday. 

That means, before with the sand, you did not have a clear water?

In my case I am having a clear water every day with my 10 yo sand (OK with few exceptions when the weather gets crazy). So can I have the water with the glass even more clear, more than I am now having?

13 hours ago, Saanim said:

That means, before with the sand, you did not have a clear water?

In my case I am having a clear water every day with my 10 yo sand (OK with few exceptions when the weather gets crazy). So can I have the water with the glass even more clear, more than I am now having?

If your river sand media has been in for 10 years I would certainly change it to glass media.

Siam pools in Chiang Mai is a good port of call he stocks glass media and of course the famous ecco crushed plate glass.You will certainly notice the difference not just in carity  but the water will have a certain sparkle 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sappersrest said:

If your river sand media has been in for 10 years I would certainly change it to glass media.

Siam pools in Chiang Mai is a good port of call he stocks glass media and of course the famous ecco crushed plate glass.You will certainly notice the difference not just in carity  but the water will have a certain sparkle 

But I do have it totally clear. Why should I want to have more clear?  Is it possible? Clearer than clear? 

IMG_3847a.jpg

It is certainly up to you, if you are happy with your 10 year old river sand and backwash weeklythat really is your choice.

People on this forum are certainly lucky bagwain and myself have over 60 years of experience and we are trying to give you and others good solid advice, you asked a question and the answer is yes your pool will look better its your choice no one is twisting your arm.

If you wish to help people on this forum please stick to industry standards when giving advice or making statements .

Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sappersrest said:

Add to that - at night it seems no water in the pool! No speckles in the water around the lights is proof enough!

8.jpg

20201203_131037.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5 hours ago, sappersrest said:

It is certainly up to you, if you are happy with your 10 year old river sand and backwash weeklythat really is your choice.

People on this forum are certainly lucky bagwain and myself have over 60 years of experience and we are trying to give you and others good solid advice, you asked a question and the answer is yes your pool will look better its your choice no one is twisting your arm.

If you wish to help people on this forum please stick to industry standards when giving advice or making statements .

Thank you for your input.

Yes, I am happy with my 10 yo river sand and happy with my clear water, achieved with my simple equipment and backyard experience - admitted, not over 60 years.

In fact, I am not trying to give any advice - unlike others here - just describing how it works for me.

And I do not sell the river sand.  Actually, on the second thought, when I read you - and your friends - it gives me an idea...????

The river sand has always been good for large drinking water systems.  So, why shouldn't I use it, even if I do not drink the pool water (almost).

18 hours ago, Saanim said:

Yes, I am happy with my 10 yo river sand and happy with my clear water, achieved with my simple equipment and backyard experience - admitted, not over 60 years.

In fact, I am not trying to give any advice - unlike others here - just describing how it works for me.

And I do not sell the river sand.  Actually, on the second thought, when I read you - and your friends - it gives me an idea...????

The river sand has always been good for large drinking water systems.  So, why shouldn't I use it, even if I do not drink the pool water (almost).

Another ridiculous reply!

You obviuosly know jack ???? about filtration especially drinking water! 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:12 PM, Bagwain said:

Another ridiculous reply!

You obviuosly know jack ???? about filtration especially drinking water! 

Having followed your comments for a while now, I don't think the tone of them reflects the pool professionalism you ascribe to. If you want to find resonance for your famous EcoClear, you might wish to come across in a more friendly manner. Just sayin' ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chaichara said:

Having followed your comments for a while now, I don't think the tone of them reflects the pool professionalism you ascribe to. If you want to find resonance for your famous EcoClear, you might wish to come across in a more friendly manner. Just sayin' ????

I call a spade a spade & up to you how you interpret  the replies!!!????????

Edited by Bagwain

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 5:20 PM, Chaichara said:

I'm 72 years old and been a pool pro for all my life.  Forget glass and check out Zelbrite, its better all round..... by a long chalk.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:55 PM, Bagwain said:

Add to that - at night it seems no water in the pool! No speckles in the water around the lights is proof enough!

8.jpg

20201203_131037.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Pool liners are short lived rubbish, and prove very expensive in the long run - don't do it!

7 minutes ago, unheard said:

What would be your response to Bagwain's claims that the Zelbrite media retains biofilms, as opposed to the glass media?

Claims of any kind of glass media being safer or better than Zelbrite are a marketing ploy to get rid of what is ostensibly a mistakenly large ordered quantity of stock of crushed, recycled glass. Zeolites have nothing in common with common silicone dioxide - crushed glass / beach sand / whatever. Zeolites are the standard media for laboratory and hospital water filtration - only better is very expensive reverse osmosis that provides drinking water purity. Never confuse water filtration with disinfection/purification. Some filtration systems can retain very small microorganisms and algae but they don't destroy them.

3 hours ago, bobholds said:

Pool liners are short lived rubbish, and prove very expensive in the long run - don't do it!

These are all PebbleCrete!

Why don't you read the thread! You are way off!

I don;t recomend liners either!

3 hours ago, Chaichara said:

Claims of any kind of glass media being safer or better than Zelbrite are a marketing ploy to get rid of what is ostensibly a mistakenly large ordered quantity of stock of crushed, recycled glass. Zeolites have nothing in common with common silicone dioxide - crushed glass / beach sand / whatever. Zeolites are the standard media for laboratory and hospital water filtration - only better is very expensive reverse osmosis that provides drinking water purity. Never confuse water filtration with disinfection/purification. Some filtration systems can retain very small microorganisms and algae but they don't destroy them.

Only partially true.

Why does everybody not understand there are two types of crushed recycled glass????

I have already explained them. So not wasting my time again!

Saying that Zeolite is standard for hospital is complete rubbish!

It is a good media and streets ahead of sand, however "Eco" recycled plate glass is better!

I will stick to my experience and many happy customers to date!

Some have already changed from zeolite to "Eco"