Getting HIV Medication as a foreigner in Phuket (HAART) in Phuket

Everyman

I would like to know the best (cheapest) place to get my HIV medication while I am in Phuket. Hopefully they will have the same prices for foreigners and Thais for HIV medication, have generics available and in stock. Is there a special clinic? If someone needs to know exactly which drug (or you do not wish to talk about your status on these public forums) you can message me.

Thanks in advance for helpful responses.

I am replying with a huge caveat, which is, of course, YMMV, and it might not be for you, nor anyone else. I can understand why people might not want to go down this path, but I'm just putting up my experiences, for what they're worth. It's not a recommendation. I'm not medically qualified in any respect. Safe to ignore. It's just my story....

I contracted HCV (Hepatitis C virus), don't know how or when, not a drug user, but it showed up in my annual check up here in Thailand earlier this year. Not the same at all I know as the OP, but treatment involved anti retroviral drugs which I obtained online from an Indian pharmacy. The hospital I was at didn't stock them and the price here in Thailand, even if I could find them, was prohibitive. In the UK, the cost to the NHS is 10s of 1000s of pounds. I bought 3 months supply of NON generic drugs for a fraction of the price here.

Now, before anybody starts shouting you must be xxxx joking, which I appreciate, my viral load was ND (undetectable) within 10 days of starting the course. I continued the treatment for 3 months and tested again at the end of that. Again, ND. I checked batch numbers, and all the other indicators on the packaging and containers. No misprints, no misspellings, nothing I could see iffy about the goods at all.

But, as I say, this post is for information only. I did the viral load testing at a public hospital. Results within a matter of days, at half the price of private.

You could ask at the Thai Red Cross Society in Phuket.  I hope that helps.  Otherwise, possibly the Thai Red Cross Society office in Bangkok, near Chulalongkorn University, may know a local provider for you.  Good luck.

51 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

not sure about ur exact  meds but check out Super cheap in Phuket town.  its where 90% of the pharmacies get their meds>
one price for all

Or Supercheap in Rawai, just 200m south or Chalong Circle.  That branch also has a full stocked pharmacy.

On 7/6/2021 at 3:04 PM, Sheryl said:

Moved to the Health Forum for correct information.

You cannot buy ART at a pharmacy.

in Phuket, the least expensive source will be the government hospitals (Vachira) in Phuket town.  You will need to show your medical records (or else be subject to new testing etc). They may have a separate clinic or not within the hospital but to start with you'll need to register and tell the nurse what it you are there for.

Do not expect much (if anything) in terms of confidentiality and interpersonal skills using the government hospital. Also be prepared for language barrier and have a Thai speaker with you.

If you can get to Bangkok, the best source of inexpensive HIV meds is the Red Cross anonymous clinic there, this is also a good source for inexpensive labs. See this thread for details:

https://aseannow.com/topic/285198-hiv-testing-and-treatment-in-los-doctors-meds-costs/

Please be aware that Vacira has separate pricing for Thais and foreigners.

I know people that fly back to the UK for HIV tablets every 9 months then fly back again with them. Whilst some NHS medical procedures would be awkward if you are living full time in Thailand, the UK NHS  has to provide drugs for free for HIV UK passport holders as its on a list of 'must have' medical conditions.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I know people that fly back to the UK for HIV tablets every 9 months then fly back again with them. Whilst some NHS medical procedures would be awkward if you are living full time in Thailand, the UK NHS  has to provide drugs for free for HIV UK passport holders as its on a list of 'must have' medical conditions.

I reckon Red Cross in Bangkok would have them at charity prices, they are major in HIV PrEP, PEP and probably antivirals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

as its on a list of 'must have' medical conditions.

How do you access the list of conditions that get you medication without cost as a Uk passport holder?

Thanks.

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I reckon Red Cross in Bangkok would have them at charity prices, they are major in HIV PrEP, PEP and probably antivirals

Red Cross in Bkl does have good prices (not because of any charitable subsidy but because they stock the generics and thete is no hospital add-on charge). They are also best in terms of attitude and knowlwdge of HIV.

But r/t travel from Phuket to Bkk right now may be a bit complicated. I am not clear on it but may need COVID test in return?

Even with double pricing Vachira is still the least expensive option for this within Phuket.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Red Cross in Bkl does have good prices (not because of any charitable subsidy but because they stock the generics and thete is no hospital add-on charge). They are also best in terms of attitude and knowlwdge of HIV.

But r/t travel from Phuket to Bkk right now may be a bit complicated. I am not clear on it but may need COVID test in return?

Even with double pricing Vachira is still the least expensive option for this within Phuket.

A popular pharmacy in Bangkok said they couldn't compete on prices with Red Cross charity prices, maybe they meant they can't get the same generics

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A popular pharmacy in Bangkok said they couldn't compete on prices with Red Cross charity prices, maybe they meant they can't get the same generics

They are not available to pharmacies. In fact, pharmacies are nto supposed to have or sell ART at all.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I was asking this particular pharmacy for PrEP, was surprised they had in stock

They aren't supposed to.

And nto a good idea to take PrEP without baseline labs (liver and kidney function) and periodic follow up

• Like 2

I went to Vachira Phuket and the woman sitting on the left desk in the “International Relations” room looked at my drug cartons (generic versions of my drug regime prescribed by Siriraj in Bangkok) and told me that they didn’t have it and that I needed to go to Patong hospital.

The pharmacist in Patong Hospital told me that they have the drugs but I could not have them since I was a foreigner and that should go to Bangkok Hospital in Phuket town.

After that I went to Pulse clinic in Patong and they had half the drugs I needed in stock and ordered the rest. I’m told they will arrive on Friday.

Edited by Everyman

On 7/6/2021 at 7:38 AM, bradiston said:

I contracted HCV (Hepatitis C virus), don't know how or when, not a drug user,

Are you 100% sure you contracted it?..........I am fearful that some results come back indicating various disorders or infections that then become nice little earners..........just a thought.

I was told I had a level 4 (not stage 4) cancer......Ultarsound/blood tests/MRI/biopsy................. fat end of 250k........good news...no cancer ???

34 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Are you 100% sure you contracted it?..........I am fearful that some results come back indicating various disorders or infections that then become nice little earners..........just a thought.

I was told I had a level 4 (not stage 4) cancer......Ultarsound/blood tests/MRI/biopsy................. fat end of 250k........good news...no cancer ???

Good news indeed. Actually the thought did occur to me that it was a mistake but the viral load was 15,000,000. The doctor didn't seem very concerned, but I grew increasingly alarmed and went back and saw another doctor who just said you have to treat this immediately and get a liver scan. I went to another hospital and got that done. It was ok. The doctor there said the drugs are very expensive here, even if available, and I said I would try online. She was a realist, and pretty much gave it the nod. So in all it cost me around three hundred $+ all told. Worth every cent I think.

As a follow up, but again, off immediate topic, I had my heart checked out as I suffer from afib. Got prescribed a new regimen of 2 drugs, one for heart beat and one for blood clot. The first are readily available here and very cheap, and very effective I've discovered. The second are hard to get and very expensive. I went on line again, bought almost a year's supply of both plus some stuff for a mate, again for $300+. All delivered in 6 days, no hassle, kosher gear, no generics. YMMV!

Oh, and only private hospitals used, except for viral load testing, Banglamung, Memorial and BHP.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Everyman said:

I went to Vachira Phuket and the woman sitting on the left desk in the “International Relations” room looked at my drug cartons (generic versions of my drug regime prescribed by Siriraj in Bangkok) and told me that they didn’t have it and that I needed to go to Patong hospital.

The pharmacist in Patong Hospital told me that they have the drugs but I could not have them since I was a foreigner and that should go to Bangkok Hospital in Phuket town.

After that I went to Pulse clinic in Patong and they had half the drugs I needed in stock and ordered the rest. I’m told they will arrive on Friday.

How much are the drugs you need?

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

How much are the drugs you need?

They are 2,400 baht per month from Siriraj hospital in Bangkok and 5,000 baht at the Pulse clinic.

I have been quoted as much as 30,000 baht per month from private hospitals elsewhere in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Everyman said:

They are 2,400 baht per month from Siriraj hospital in Bangkok and 5,000 baht at the Pulse clinic.

I have been quoted as much as 30,000 baht per month from private hospitals elsewhere in Thailand.

expensive, let's hope my PrEP works which is 400 baht a month

On 7/14/2021 at 12:31 PM, Everyman said:

Mine are about 500 thb per month (I have to disclose that I use only 2, -generics of an older generation at that-, instead of the usual 3. (as per my doctor's suggestion) 
I have been on retrovirals for 24 years.
The first few years were challenging but nothing really life changing; I continued working etc.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:07 AM, Everyman said:

In that case I would have asked to speak to first a infectious disease doctor, failing that the Hospital Manager.
It happened to me in Chiangrai when I needed meds but they couldn't ''release them to me as they were a controlled substance'' but then the Hospital Manager released them for me.

Edited by orchis

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 10:50 PM, orchis said:

Mine are about 500 thb per month (I have to disclose that I use only 2, -generics of an older generation at that-, instead of the usual 3. (as per my doctor's suggestion) 
I have been on retrovirals for 24 years.
The first few years were challenging but nothing really life changing; I continued working etc.

Nice info, thank you! There's a big difference between 500 baht per month and 2400 baht per month or 5000 baht per month. I'm coming to live and work in Thailand, and obviously the cheapest option is what I need to go for. I'm not sure what you mean by "I use only two". I've been on antri-retroviral drugs in UK and Japan since 2015. I take one pill a day. Bikvary I am on now. I started on Stribild. 
Any other info on how to get these golden ticket 500 baht per month drugs would be great! 
I second what you say about not life changing too. My health is better now than it ever was before. 
Main problems with HIV are stigma (so don't tell anyone is best bet) and getting the meds. 
UK and Japan have been fine. Other countries like South Korea are completely backwards and bigotted. 
Hopefully Thailand will be good. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mirdoch Nosh said:

Nice info, thank you! There's a big difference between 500 baht per month and 2400 baht per month or 5000 baht per month. I'm coming to live and work in Thailand, and obviously the cheapest option is what I need to go for. I'm not sure what you mean by "I use only two". I've been on antri-retroviral drugs in UK and Japan since 2015. I take one pill a day. Bikvary I am on now. I started on Stribild. 
Any other info on how to get these golden ticket 500 baht per month drugs would be great! 
I second what you say about not life changing too. My health is better now than it ever was before. 
Main problems with HIV are stigma (so don't tell anyone is best bet) and getting the meds. 
UK and Japan have been fine. Other countries like South Korea are completely backwards and bigotted. 
Hopefully Thailand will be good. 

The least expensive option for getting HAART is the Thai red Cross Anonymous Clinic in Bangkok, see this thread:

https://aseannow.com/topic/285198-hiv-testing-and-treatment-in-los-doctors-meds-costs/

HOWEVER they do not, as of last I heard, have Bikvary. They stock locally made generic equivalents and there is none in Thailand for Bictegravir. The only form of that drug is imported Bikvary which will be extremly expensive here...as in over 30,000 baht, maybe even over 50,000 a month.

I suggest if you are set on moving here that you discuss with your doctor whether it is possible to change to a different combination. Emtricitabine + tenofovir  (2 of the 3 ingrediants in Bikvary) are readily availabel here at low price, but the bictegravir is not. A drug in the same class which is available, is dolutegravir.  You would have to take 2 pills, one dolutegravir and one emtricitabine + tenofovir, and cost would be around 1,000 baht a month if obtained from Thai Red Cross or government hospital. 

• Like 1

Moderators: apologies please DELETE my above Bradiston Accidental Copy Post and replace with :-

“ I contracted HCV (Hepatitis C virus), don't know how or when, not a drug user, but it showed up in my annual check up”.

Had similar experience in Rome. Said Impossible as I’m vaccinated ! they checked and apologized……

even if not vaxxed would get immediate expert second opinion …….

9 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Moderators: apologies please DELETE my above Bradiston Accidental Copy Post and replace with :-

“ I contracted HCV (Hepatitis C virus), don't know how or when, not a drug user, but it showed up in my annual check up”.

Had similar experience in Rome. Said Impossible as I’m vaccinated ! they checked and apologized……

even if not vaxxed would get immediate expert second opinion …….

I thought there was only vaccination for Hep A and B