Driving Licence Renewal - Tests

Dear All,

My 5 yr licence is due for renewal in August.  Have all the necessary paperwork and not worried about that side of things.

What I am worried about is the colour test.  Like 10% of males I am colour vision deficient in red/green.  I can see the colours clearly when they are separate and clear [e.g. traffic lights] but when colours are mixed as in the Ishihara diagrams I cannot see the 'hidden' numbers.

How important is the colour vision test to licence renewal?  All other things I am OK with.

• Like 1

I also had problems with color test with my first 5 year licence. They used to have a peripheral vision color test which I just could not pass without cheating. You are supposed to put your head in a depression and look straight ahead. By looking out the corner of my eyes I just managed to get it correct once. The examiner laughed and passed me

When the time came to renew my licence I was dreading this test....this time in a different province. To my immense relief they had altered this test and now the peripheral lights were more forward to the center and bigger . I passed without cheating. However, the next test ( depth of field ) had also changed. This is the one where you have to push the button when two movable sticks are aligned. Lots of us failed on this new version , about 10 of us. We started doing retests and the first woman got it wrong again and was told to come back next day !!!!  This scared the rest of us but luckily the tester was called out of the room for something. 

Someone had a practice run then one bright person ( not me ) came up with the idea of timing the movement of the sticks ( they were re set in the same position after each attempt )  We timed it at 7 seconds. All we had to do now was count to 7 and push the button. When the tester reentered everyone passed except some dimwit who counted too slowly.

The other color test was just a set of traffic lights placed ahead of us while sitting in a chair. You had to shout out the color of the traffic light. Easy peasy.

The ishihara charts are not used much ....thankfully.

Might be an idea to go to your test center and find out what exactly each test will consist of.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Denim,

Thanks for the reply.  Last time I did the test a kind US gentleman was whispering in my ear as the examiner pointed to colour dots!  This time I will be on my own in there [I think] and without a 'Guardian Angel' I am worried about passing the test.  

2 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Hi Denim,

Thanks for the reply.  Last time I did the test a kind US gentleman was whispering in my ear as the examiner pointed to colour dots!  This time I will be on my own in there [I think] and without a 'Guardian Angel' I am worried about passing the test.  

Well, as I said, go to the test center as find out what the tests will be. If you get that test again you could try getting someone to go with you to help out again. 

Usually they seem to be fairly forgiving ( except for emergency brake test ) but if you are unlucky and get a strict ' jobsworth ' doing the testing it can be daunting. Know before you go would be my advice then you can prepare yourself in advance.

Less than 2 weeks ago, I got my first (2 year) Thai licenses, currently holding full UK car and m/c ones. I too have difficulty with colour, but the test, at Pattaya DLT (near Regent's school) was simply to call out the different colours of the traffic lights as the examiner changed them. It was very easy, and just like looking at normal traffic lights --- but much closer. 

Thanks Denim,

I live in Chai Nat province now which is about the most relaxed I have ever seen.  Even Immigration is fantastic - I could get my local Immigration Office in my lounge!

Will call in on licensing unit and check tests.  

Hi David,

Last time I did my 5yr in Pattaya they used a large Ishihara chart and that was what I couldn't see properly.  If my local office uses traffic lights there will be no problem as they will be large and bright.  It is when colours are mixed I have problems.  

Welcome to the 10%!

When at Phayao centre, doing my license, they used the dummy traffic lights for the colour test.  had to call out the colour in Thai.  Before me was an old Thai who could not even see where the lights were.  He got angry and accused the examiner of making fun of an old man, so she passed him.  he was not too good on he reaction test either , but passed, despite his daughter, with him, asking the examiner to fail him as he could not see properly and he was worried he might have an accident.

Give me a lo of confidence in the Thai system

42 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Last time I did my 5yr in Pattaya they used a large Ishihara chart and that was what I couldn't see properly

Sukhothai uses a chart for renewal of DL's.

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Know before you go would be my advice then you can prepare yourself in advance.

If he has a colour vision problem how could knowing in advance which test is used be useful to him?  He can't change his vision facility and he doesn't have a choice of tests if he fails one type at the LTD he uses.