Colombian to stay jailed for life

geovalin

The Supreme Court yesterday upheld the conviction of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to sentence a 63-year old Columbian man to life imprisonment for possession of almost four kilogrammes of cocaine in 2017. The Supreme Court Judge, Soeung Panhavuth in delivering his verdict said that he found the sentence imposed by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Gonazlez Marmolejo Jaime was reasonable and appropriate after taking into account the drugs seized from him.

“The Supreme Court has decided to uphold the ruling dated November 23, 2020, of the Appeal Court as effective and close the accused’s appeal,”  he said. Judge Panhavuth said that Gonazlez has to serve the life imprisonment imposed by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on June 7, 2018, and pay the 50 million riels (about $15,000) as a fine that is to be put in the State’s budget.

Gonazlez who was arrested on October 12, 2017, was charged with “drug possessing and trafficking”  under Article 40 of Cambodian Law on Drugs Control. Last week during the trial, Gonazlez told the court that he is appealing against the conviction of the lower court as he felt it was not justified as he was not a drug trafficker but just a paid worker who was asked to deliver the suitcase to a man in Cambodia.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50889620/colombian-to-stay-jailed-for-life/

So it's not just dumb blonde female college students that fall for the old "I'll pay you to carry this on the plane for me trick". 

You'd think someone from Columbia would be smarter than that.

Unless of course he knew what he was doing all along. Don't think I'd want to spend "life" in a Cambodian prison. (Or any other one for that matter.)

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

So it's not just dumb blonde female college students that fall for the old "I'll pay you to carry this on the plane for me trick". 

Unless of course he knew what he was doing all along. Don't think I'd want to spend "life" in a Cambodian prison. (Or any other one for that matter.)

It reads and reveals much about the author.

• Like 1

He should tell the Supreme Court that he is a very good and honest person. He just had very bad luck on this day... From the original article:

"Last week during the trial, Gonazlez told the court that he is appealing against the conviction of the lower court as he felt it was not justified as he was not a drug trafficker but just a paid worker who was asked to deliver the suitcase to a man in Cambodia. He said that the drugs seized from him belonged to an unknown Nigerian living in Columbia and has been at large ever since his arrest. He told the court that his family owed the Nigerian man money and when they could not repay the debt, he threatened to kill him if he did not do what has been told. The Nigerian, Gonazlez said had asked him to carry a suitcase with drugs hidden inside from Columbia to be handed to a man living in Phnom Penh, in exchange for settling all his debts. However, he added he was arrested upon arrival at the Phnom Penh International Airport."

15 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Talking about smart, I think ColUmbia is a county in the US ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1