World`s Best Tourists!

Momo8

Being American, I have to say, you generally can pick out the American Tourist (at least here in the States). Think khaki shorts, golf shirt, sandals usually and a pair of black socks pulled up to just below the knees. I see them every summer when they migrate north from the bigger cities. Children are usually in tow wearing the latest fashions. They almost always have a certain look on their face as if they are hoping no one they know will see them with their parents.

good grief......do you really see them wearing black knee socks?

Better black knee socks than overweight European men over the age of 50 wearing Speedos alongside their wives of 30 years who are hanging down, and I mean low down, topless on the beaches.

Edited by Johpa

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 Japanese:

They bow for the elevatorman, they bow when their soup is cold and the room dirty, and finally they bow when they leave the hotel with the receptionists "piss of tojo" still ringing in their ears. :D

2 Americans:

They spend far more money than anybody else, so even if they are the most loud and big headded people on earth, with the absolute worst taste in clothes, and despite their kids being the least wellbehaved kids in the world, they are always wellcome, if they only left those checkerd golfstyle pants at home they would beat the japanese for nr.1, and the thing is, we do owe them a lot us Europeans. :D

3 Swiss:

They arrive on time, they eat on time, they leave the loundry on time, they assemble for tours on time, they help setting the hotel clocks, they always polish the room safe and deny revealing its contents even if they are robbed, and finally they leave on time. :D

Kindest of regards to the above nationalities :D

:o Great summation, Larv.

KerryD, I see or hear another Canadian and I'm gone. Cannae handle the "eh" and "you shouldn't..."

Group tourists of any nationalty are horrid; but then, they only got 10 minutes to take snaps and shop for trinkets, so it's to be expected.

1 Japanese:

They bow for the elevatorman, they bow when their soup is cold and the room dirty, and finally they bow when they leave the hotel with the receptionists "piss of tojo" still ringing in their ears. :o

This one made me laugh outloud! :D

Japanese tourists stood out for being polite and tidy, securing 35 percent more votes than the Americans who came second.

Would agree with that on a one to one basis, but get them in a group (herd) and they can be as rude and pushy as the best (worst).

Swiss tourists were commended for being quiet and considerate, unlike the Britons who were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping.

I can't comment on the Swiss as I've only ever met a handfull of them. As for us Brits being rude and noisy, well unfortunately that is the perception a large proportion live up (down) to. And for the tipping thing, apart from restaurants, we don't tip in the UK. That is the culture and it's often the subject of questions from the Brits abroad "When do you tip and how much?". Then that gives rise to "do you tip when there's a 10% service charge added automatically to the bill?" as in many parts of the world.

But despite their faults, hoteliers do look favorably upon British spending habits voting them the third biggest holiday spenders after Americans and Russians.

I bet it's mainly the bar tabs that puts us up there. :o

Based on responses from 15,000 European hoteliers, the survey carried out on behalf of travel Web site Expedia showed that the worst tourist nation was France, followed by India, China and Russia.

No comment. But of course those 15,000 hotels are absolutely perfect and provide faultless service, the best food and run by the most congenial staff. :D

Britain was second in the worst-dressed tourist table which was headed by the Americans, and fifth in the least-generous table which was headed by the Germans.

This is subjective but going by the singlet wearing f*t g*t lout we can't exactly argue. Personally I find Armani and Gucci to be a little overdressed for the beach but fine for an evening stroll along walking street or soi Yodsak.

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.

Everyone has heard about tourists behaving badly especially in LOS.I admit to getting embarrassed by fellow countrymen behaving badly.

Yes, I've also done a hasty exit stage left on many an occasion.

Discrimination I say ! :o

Were do Canadian tourists fit on this list ! If anything, we are probably the politest, and nicest dressed (but most likely not the biggest spenders).

The problem is, we are so nice and well-dressed, we tend to blend into the surroundings and rarely get noticed. :D

I'm only half-joking when I say that they just lump you guys in with us Yanks, hard to tell the difference (except for the Quebecois, of course) for some people. A compliment to you guys is that if that's the case, you probably brought up our average on the politeness scale quite a bit.

Being American, I have to say, you generally can pick out the American Tourist (at least here in the States). Think khaki shorts, golf shirt, sandals usually and a pair of black socks pulled up to just below the knees. I see them every summer when they migrate north from the bigger cities. Children are usually in tow wearing the latest fashions. They almost always have a certain look on their face as if they are hoping no one they know will see them with their parents.

Better black knee socks than overweight European men over the age of 50 wearing Speedos alongside their wives of 30 years who are hanging down, and I mean low down, topless on the beaches.

Mate

You should travel Europe, and you will discover that Europe has a few more countries, cutures, languages, and various fashions, then North-America.

:o

Some repeat tourists I have bumped into reckon that the "best" tourist is the one that arrives, leaves all his spending money at the airport, & then gets on the same plane & returns home. :o

Feeling un-wanted I guess.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Some repeat tourists I have bumped into reckon that the "best" tourist is the one that arrives, leaves all his spending money at the airport, & then gets on the same plane & returns home. :o

Feeling un-wanted I guess.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Not feeling unwanted when they arrive. They are like fresh fish, after three days they start to smell bad.

cheers

onzestan

Discrimination I say ! :o

Were do Canadian tourists fit on this list ! If anything, we are probably the politest, and nicest dressed (but most likely not the biggest spenders).

The problem is, we are so nice and well-dressed, we tend to blend into the surroundings and rarely get noticed. :D

One other problem is that many Canadians get so smug about themselves and how well loved we supposedly are that others find it annoying. In my own experience Americans, particularly young ones, try real hard to overcome the bad rep and as a result are some of the most pleasant guests you can have.

Just don't start talking politics with them. :D

Edited by cdnvic

Mate

You should travel Europe, and you will discover that Europe has a few more countries, cutures, languages, and various fashions, then North-America.

Not accurate :D The US alone has so many immigrant cultures that you can find as much there as in the EU ... Granted they are smaller communities ... but I have been in all kinds of places in the US where the local language/culture is not what you would expect.

There is a difficulty with commenting on the world's best tourits from Thailand in that while Thailand attracts all sorts of Tourists, it is a magnet for oddballs and misfits.

The kind of tourist a place gets is a reflection of what kind of tourist a place attracts.

Here in Rome we don't see the kind of dross that gets washed up in Thailand. (present company excpeted... or course)

Mate

Not accurate :D The US alone has so many immigrant cultures that you can find as much there as in the EU ... Granted they are smaller communities ... but I have been in all kinds of places in the US where the local language/culture is not what you would expect.

I believe we talked about the various countries in general, as they are when traveling as a sitizen from a specific country.

If you talk about all the immigrant cultures in US, well then the US has the best and the worst, and the most generous, and the most cheap, and most rude, and the most polite, and the most ...........,etc, etc, etc, of all tourists. This because all the mentioned countries above are also represented in the US.

:D

Mate

I believe we talked about the various countries in general, as they are when traveling as a sitizen from a specific country.

If you talk about all the immigrant cultures in US, well then the US has the best and the worst, and the most generous, and the most cheap, and most rude, and the most polite, and the most ...........,etc, etc, etc, of all tourists. This because all the mentioned countries above are also represented in the US.

:D

Oh ... didn't think you were talking about 'tourists' in the highlighted statement above!

I've done my share to get fellow Yanks NOT to wear shorts and tank-tops in BKK ....

If you asked them to wear shorts and tank-tops in Antartica, they would ignore you too, it's TOO HOT for long trousers, besides, that advice is 20 years out of date. Have you seen what Thais wear these days? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've done my share to get fellow Yanks NOT to wear shorts and tank-tops in BKK ....

If you asked them to wear shorts and tank-tops in Antartica, they would ignore you too, it's TOO HOT for long trousers, besides, that advice is 20 years out of date. Have you seen what Thais wear these days? :o

Why yes! Yes I have :D NOt out of date at all, at least for daytime :D Well unless you are in lower Suk or Patpong ... then ........

I always found Americans who traveled solo or with one or two friends to be much more congenial, kinder and more aware of fitting into their surroundings than smart-alec Euros. Sorry, the Italian tourists in Thailand top the Germans for being nasty, IMO.

Best tourists: people who are considerate and polite; transcends all cultures.

I would have to agree with the Japanese probably being the best tourists as they are usually respectful of others and tend to keep to themselves. I am not sure if we Americans are in 2nd place but I do know that we have been working our way up from the bottom of the list during the recent years. When I started traveling many years ago, the 'Ugly American' syndrome was still well known. I used to say if it weren't for the German travelers displacing us, we would have stayed the Ugly Americans (my ancestry is German). It is interesting that I have seen much mention of German tourists in this topic :o .

Edited by jetjock

Mate

You should travel to North America, and you will find it is amost 3 TIMES the size of Europe, populated with people from all over the world. Every culture covered. I've drivin around the states and it is fantastic.

Europes great too.

Europeans can get in a car and visit 4 Countries in an afternoon and think they are better, traveled more.... cultured??

I'm tired of hearing it.

Edited by The Skipper

The list would look different if they had asked Thais working in the hotel industry.

middle aged gay people for me are the best kind of tourist both drink lots are hppy and always polite :o

Shaved Head, tatoo covereed, noisy, t-shirt off soccer hooligans types - They seem to be everywhere. TAT must be really working hard to attract them. Must be part of the Amazing Thailand experience. :o

Cheers,

Soundman.

I've done my share to get fellow Yanks NOT to wear shorts and tank-tops in BKK .... (at the beaches? Who cares!

My last trip to Rome though ... oi!

Can we wear the very colourful novelty shorts that are so popular among Thais?

Mate

You should travel to North America, and you will find it is amost 3 TIMES the size of Europe, populated with people from all over the world. Every culture covered. I've drivin around the states and it is fantastic.

Europes great too.

Europeans can get in a car and visit 4 Countries in an afternoon and think they are better, traveled more.... cultured??

I'm tired of hearing it.

And I'm really tired of people that do not read what the subject is about.

If you look through the posts you see this particular issue was already addressed and finished off.

But since you want to chew a bit more on it,

This is NOT about the size of the country the tourists come from.

This is NOT about the various cultures in the country the tourists come from.

This is NOT about how wonderful the tourists home country is.

Finally, Yesssss I have been a lot of times to North America.

Wonderful experiences.

Just wonderful.

Correct, Jamie.

Post a thread and let it run and before page two you start to wonder what it has to do with the original post.

If I wanted America I'd look for a forum on America.

If I wanted nationality bashing, it's all here.