Can only exit condo with key card, fire hazard!

So, our condo management decided, without asking, to instal a security entrance, only accessible with a key card... and can only exit with a card too. 

There's an exit button... but it's been disabled. Not only is this a real pain in the a$$, letting people in and out, it's a fire hazard. Last thing I want to be thinking about if the building is on fire is, where's my key card. 

I've never seen this before, having stayed in a bunch of condos over the years... is this common? I've asked a few times to sort it out, and just get the Thai nod, sabi sabi... we'll fix it etc... I'm thinking of duct taping a hammer to the wall by the exit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have seen this before in a larger condo - when I enquired I was informed that all doors will automatically be unlocked in the evening of a an alarm or power cut.

I called BS but couldn’t prove anything.

Personally I have a far bigger concern: the functionality of alarms & sprinkler systems - doors can be kicked open. 

In another smaller (6 floor) apartment there was the same issue. Key car in, button press out. 

I asked what would happen in a power cut… I was told I can still get out, the doors would open in a power failure. 
I didn’t worry too much because there was a huge window next to the door with just a ‘latch’.

A year into that contract we returned home during a power cut and couldn’t get in, because the doors couldn’t be unlocked !!!! We got your owners, the fire hazard issue simply didn’t register with them. 

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In another smaller (6 floor) apartment there was the same issue. Key car in, button press out. 

I asked what would happen in a power cut… I was told I can still get out, the doors would open in a power failure.

The door is kept closed by an electromagnet. If the power fails the magnet is not magnetic anymore and thus the door is no longer locked.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've never been in an office which has a fob exit, always push button, kinda says it all

Yeah...the gym in our MooBaan actually installed a 'proximity' push button due to Covid-19. You only have to place your finger near it without touching and it senses the motion and unlocks the door. Great new tech.

• Like 1

Just another reason to tie a few bed sheets together and sleep with the lights on....????????

And just a FYI.......if you live on the 7th floor or higher you are out of luck with a Thai fire dept. rescue.....the ladders only goes as high as the 7th floor...????????

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Just another reason to tie a few bed sheets together and sleep with the lights on....????????

And just a FYI.......if you live on the 7th floor or higher you are out of luck with a Thai fire dept. rescue.....the ladders only goes as high as the 7th floor...????????

So 7th floor is ok, right?

Can only exit condo with key card, fire hazard!

As usual, it depends ...

Is your keycard actually that much of a fire-risk? Sure, if you apply a naked flame to a corner and it sort of flares up, then yes it sounds like it (was) a fire-risk, but there are several simple methods to reduce the risk when you obtain a replacement card ...

(a) don't apply a naked flame to a corner ... possibly obvious, but you'd be surprised.

(b) bend the card carefully into a (full) drink bottle

(c) when (b) proves messy, empty the drink bottle then bend the card carefully into an (empty) drink bottle, then fill it.

(d) empty the petrol from the drink bottle and re-fill it with water and don't be such a smart-<deleted> next time.

Plenty more ideas, just ask, but if all else fails just forget the stupid keycard, run for your life ... the lift and exit doors will be all set up to allow you to escape easily and happily i'm sure.

4 hours ago, tonray said:

Yeah...the gym in our MooBaan actually installed a 'proximity' push button due to Covid-19. You only have to place your finger near it without touching and it senses the motion and unlocks the door. Great new tech.

Until the power goes out due to the fire and/or sprinklers or the fire started in the power system ... so it's 'proximally' great new proximity tech, proxibbly.

• Haha 1

Definite hazard. What about the rest of the fire appliances? Hoses, alarms, sprinklers, escape routes, assembly points.

If it was me I would test them all, security door included if necessary on a day basis and report regularly to management until they got the message!

• Haha 1

Smoke alarm in our apartment ....the little red light not flashing......told it is not a smoke alarm it is a heat detector.

I asked how do I know it is working and what it sounds like if it goes off? It doesn't go off....it sends a signal to the control room, sounding the alarm and someone monitors the alarms from there.

This is me talking to the guy in our apartment.......so who is monitoring the alarms today.......me, he says......but you are here with me, not in the control room......shrugs.

• Haha 2

Thats definitely not right.

I would think everyone in the condo would agree.  What if you misplace your key and a pizza delivery arrives?

Can't you re-enable the button on the door?

Be nice to know the outcome of this dilema please keep us informed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tonray said:

Saw this at a few McDonald's restaurants. All were replaced with a pad you must touch now...

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Saw this at a few McDonald's restaurants. All were replaced with a pad you must touch now...

I wonder why...maybe people were confused....the button here actually has a sticker in English and Thai that says 'Don't Touch" !

1 hour ago, tonray said:

I wonder why...maybe people were confused....the button here actually has a sticker in English and Thai that says 'Don't Touch" !

Maybe due to Covid? They also installed self order stations so everybody has to touch the screens to make orders...

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Bad timing with COVID-19.

They need those automatic doors.  Don't need to touch anything.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:25 PM, Crossy said:

It never does, until there's a fire (possibly not even then). It seems to be a peculiarly Far Eastern thing, Delhi, K.L., Manila, Seoul and even (to a lesser extent) Singapore all have similar issues.

I'm paranoid about fire exits and extinguishers having been caught up in a tunnel fire many moons ago. Four of us got stuck in dead end (the way out was blocked by smoke), never saw any actual fire and the smoke wasn't too bad in our bit but it was most definitely scary and not something I want to repeat in a hurry.

Nothing ever registers with any of these people because they are all too stupid to understand.