setting up VPN on a router

johnbarpic

If you get an Asus router model that has AsusWRT all you have to do is upload the .ovpn file supplied by the vpn provider.

Flashing DD-WRT is something i don't know much about. Involved process though

me, although I am not a "whiz", setting up OpenVPN on a router is a piece o' <deleted> and takes about 8.5 minutes, give or take. Wireguard protocol is a little more involved but still easily achieved.

Send me a message, email etc and we can drink some beer, get <deleted> and get your VPN up and running.

<<<<Email removed>>>>

Edited by metisdead
You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or Social Media addresses in posts or signatures.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, catturd said:

setting up OpenVPN on a router is a piece

9 minutes ago, catturd said:

we can drink some beer, get <deleted> and get your VPN up and running.

I'm pretty sure the creators of many computer programs where under the influence of some sort of mind altering substance  especially whilst writing the  "man file"  or "help page"  only makes the slightest bit of sense if you're totally "out of it "

:stoner::burp:

Edited by johng

I believe the 3BB router is actually a modem and a router in one box and not capable of loading VPN protocols, or providing many other important features. I had the same issue with a TMN supplied modem/router.

So I bought a ASUS router (RT-AC68U) and put it behind the TMN box via Ethernet cable. Bought NordVPN. Then activated VPN on the ASUS router. All my devices connect to the ASUS router and get VPN to another country, passing through the TMN box.

The RT-AC68U has been available for many years and is solid, and still gets hardware updates. More modern routers with wifi 6 are available, but very pricey.

11 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I believe the 3BB router is actually a modem and a router in one box and not capable of loading VPN protocols, or providing many other important features. I had the same issue with a TMN supplied modem/router.

So I bought a ASUS router (RT-AC68U) and put it behind the TMN box via Ethernet cable. Bought NordVPN. Then activated VPN on the ASUS router. All my devices connect to the ASUS router and get VPN to another country, passing through the TMN box.

The RT-AC68U has been available for many years and is solid, and still gets hardware updates. More modern routers with wifi 6 are available, but very pricey.

Have you checked the OpenVPN (UDP or TCP) speeds using NordVPN on the AC68U? Unless using an Asus router with  AES-NI hardware acceleration chip it's unlikely you will exceed 30 or 40 Mbps on OpenVPN. I experienced problems streaming some content with the AC68U, but it is a very durable router otherwise AND is one of only a few routers supported by ExpressVPN's router app which allows you to use Lightway (similar to Wireguard) and IKEv2 protocols which provide much better thru-put than OpenVPN.

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Why bother?

Just put the VPN on your devices then it easy to switch servers or switch on and off as needed.

Maybe the VPN is required for Apple TV, Smart TV, Play station or other gaming consoles, ROKU, etc, all of which do not support VPN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Banana7 said:

What is TMN, is that the name for 3BB?

16 hours ago, jmccarty said:

You don't install it on your router.  Whoever provides the service will also provide a link to their app that downloads and installs on your computer.  I don't see any other option.

You don't install the VPN software on the router. On routers which have VPN capable firmware you can configure a VPN connection by importing a config file provided by your VPN provider. I have an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

My router allows configuration of L2TP, PPTP and OpenVPN connections.

Here is an article describing how to set up a VPN config on the router for NordVPN.

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1047410562/How-to-configure-your-Asus-router-running-original-firmware-AsusWRT.htm

RT-AC86U VPN Config.jpg

VPN Type.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Hello, am in Pattaya. Where can I buy the Asus RT-AC68U router? Thanks.

You may find it in Tukcom as well. JIB Computers (3rd/4th? floor) stock a number of different models.

1 hour ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Hello, am in Pattaya. Where can I buy the Asus RT-AC68U router? Thanks.

I sent a message to another poster about an AC-68U; it's an outstanding router but just not for managing OpenVPN as it is way under-powered and your connection speed will suffer dramatically.

The Asus  RT-AC86U  has the hardware acceleration chip.

JIB is a well established store in Thailand   you can pay  Cash on Delivery

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/router-asus-aimesh-rt-ac86u-dual-band-ac2900-mesh-wi-fi-gaming-router-i1530666281-s4064452585.html?spm=a2o4m.seller.list.2.1ab8a372j5RuSR&mp=1

Only one left in stock at JIB though.

Edited by johng