Expired British Child Passport Renewal

jjp

Hello,

My son has both a British and Thai passport and both of then expired in April 2021. (it's a long story)

Last time I applied for his British passport, i had to give a copy of his Thai passport in the application. My wife is in the process of trying to make an appointment to renew his Thai passport and I am not sure how long this will take etc

My question is 

Can I apply to renew his British passport with his expired Thai passport? Will it still be accepted?

Thanks for your time,

JJP

Exactly, carefully follow UK Gov Passport Application Process, before VFS.

This includes Declaring all valid passports (but not providing copy).

VFS Visit completes the process where they validate & forward application.

Did all that helping a friend here recently.

Should not use Agent...... contrary to UK GOV rules.

Incredible that VFS allow that.

Thai Passport is a one hour walk in process with old passport and ID.

My Lady recently completed this for herself.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

My lad's UK passport has expired as well. I don't mind the 'hardship' of a personal passport application and collection from VFS is Bangkok but with the current pandemic situation there, the agent would be my choice regardless of what any UK.GOV rules say.

BTW, can you give a citation for that rule? VFS has had a quite long and successful working relationship with a certain long-established, Pattaya-based visa agent. It was even approved by the British Embassy Bangkok. I imagine plenty passports have been renewed without incident since the service was first offered.

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Your comment: 'Should not use Agent'

The UK Gov website specifically states 'You must apply in person. If you're unable to, someone else can go on your behalf'. So how is use of an Agent 'contrary to UK GOV rules.' 

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

then i stand corrected. a complete unrelated stranger can submit & collect a uk passport. makes a mockery of having a mandatory “local service agent” (VFS) for passport renewals from thailand for the official “anti- fraud” reason. Makes no sense not have direct postal / online applications from here .......VFS adding zero value/delay/ inconvenience..except checking app? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

then i stand corrected. a complete unrelated stranger can submit & collect a uk passport. makes a mockery of having a mandatory “local service agent” (VFS) for passport renewals from thailand for the official “anti- fraud” reason. Makes no sense not have direct postal / online applications from here .......VFS adding zero value/delay/ inconvenience..except checking app? 

Correct.  Agents can, and regularly do, process UK passport applications and renewals.  Expect to pay between 5,000 - 10,000 baht for the service.

yes I had missed that....

uk gov statement “ if unable ....” should read “if unable or unwilling.....”

”unable” requires no proof, like a doctor letter, so is pure bs, voiding the entire “anti fraud” bogus reason for VFS “local service”......

unable people would be sick or injured, maybe 1% applicants,

the unwilling however ( inc. any fraudsters) ......99%.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Included in the paperwork is an approval letter, signed by the applicant, authorising the agency to act on their behalf. So, hardly 'a complete unrelated stranger'. Yes, the current system is not ideal, but partly to do with local passport retention issues, apparently...............but who knows!!