Two tales of computer woe!

BritManToo

I must be the luckiest W10 user on this forum. Two PCs, one I put together 6 years ago, i5, Asus P7P55D ELX mobo, 8 Gb RAM, 2 x Corsair SSDs, NVidia GT740 card. Upgrade to the latest OS & Drivers. Used for Music Production and can record/run over 20 audio tracks simultaneously.

The other is a NUC i5 used as a Media Centre on my Samsung 55 inch telly. 3BB 1Gb optic internet, both PCs connected/ networked via CAT 6 cable.

Never ANY BSoD (soon to be BLACK ) , no drivers problems, both run like a dream. 

No rabbit, rat, ant, gecko problems either.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

I do not know much about Win 10 . ( only use Linux ) .

But can't you just simply restore your Win 10 to an earlier date ? ( after booting in safe mode ? ) Go and check for changes in the bios , too . There should be an option to reset the eventual changes done ...?

Linux often uses alternative drivers for hardware .

Take your (  ssd ? ) drive out , replace it with another one and do a ( virtual ) install of Linux on it . I do not think that you have a hardware problem . It possibly is the GPU or driver .

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Windows 10 Pro ....... clean install,

It loads the 'black screen' graphics driver within 10 seconds of windows starting for the first time.

Good luck entering anything in that time.

If it were me I'd use the "Create installation media....for another PC" method and do an offline clean install of Win10 then disable automatic driver updates before allowing an internet connection.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

There is absolutely nothing, nothing at all that Windows can do that Linux can't

I doubt that is absolutely true. One thing Windows users miss out on is that feeling of achievement that Linux users can feel after spending hours to install and configure a program successfully that takes two minutes to install and configure on Windows.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, mrfill said:

If you want to try a safer set up, install Linux Mint and set up a Virtual Machine for Windows. It will work faster than native W10 and when a patch breaks things, it doesn't cripple the machine.

Or install Linux Mint and don't bother with Windows at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Linux users can feel after spending hours to install and configure a program

This is a myth, and even if not a myth, Windows users more than make up for it in time lost for the reasons detailed in threads like this. The Linux equivalent of a BSOD is a Kernel Panic, I've never seen a Kernel Panic... Ever.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They've cut the 3BB fibre cable so many times the tech gave me his private phone number so I could call him direct. Nice guy, seems happy enough with the 100bht 'tip' I give him for turning up quickly.

He's probably the one cutting it.:tongue:

• Haha 2

For AMD/Ryzen issues, I have found the REDDIT "r/AMD" subforum to be invalable.  It has more than a million subscribers and a really helpful core of contributors.  

When I had an audio output problem with my Ryzen, they were the only ones with the answer that solved the issue.

All fixed now,

the 14bht 4pin to 8 pin CPU power lead arrived from China, nothing gets hot now.

Using the  A10 HD 8650 internal graphics (old graphics card in new computer).

the graphic card from the old PC fixed the 'black screen'.