Noticed many low mileage cars, something is fishy.

17 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Flood damage, major crashes, all easy to spot.

And many people might have got caught up in the Covid masquerade and lost their source of income.

I look at a lot of used cars, and this is the story I am told often.

Is it true ? Unknown.

Are the cars in like-new condition - yes

Apart from the original buyer eating the depreciation.

Where exactly do you look at cars like this? Thanks

I do believe the modern cars today can be checked for correct or incorrect odometer reading .

Tyres are the easiest way for a quick check . If they show more wear than they should ,  look elsewhere . 

47 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

I "think" it was basically a bodykit and some extras on the old model to get rid of them.

They "painted" (put film?) on the roof, raised the suspension by a few mm and added a camera etc.

Before we bought it I sat in a lot of cars and found the rear quite spacious compared to a Jazz and the competition (Honda, Mazda) when the forward seats were in a driving position.

It was also cheap, about 635k from memory which included a few freebies and 1st class insurance for a year (which came in handy when the brother-in-law stacked it!). Very good on petrol. Fill her up for about 850 baht.

Only thing I would say is the paint seems to chip quite easily (?). Not sure if this is connected with a "ceramic protection" which we put on it? 

In a year or so will when the Mrs gets a bit more used to driving we will buy another larger car, but in general quite pleased overall.

I like the look of the Fortuner (white with black roof) - not not sure on the new version with the massive black plastic grill thought. Will soon be able to get a used 2.8l 4x4 about 4-5 years old for around 1m baht (new top spec is about 1.8m).

RAZZ

The Toyota Yaris Cross shares its name with the Yaris hatch, but aside from the engines and some interior components such as the instrument cluster, the Yaris Cross is in fact a completely new design.

Maybe it was canned in Thailand coz it was too cheap as Toyota can get almost double the price for a Corolla Cross.

• Like 1

I bought a Honda Jazz when they 1st came to Thailand, 5 years later sold it had covered 25,000 km,  any longer distance always used the pickup, the Audi after 5 years had done just under 24,000 km..

on the other side of the coin the pickup had done 240,000 km+ in 3 years !!  with Covid the present Ford Ranger has only done 240,000 km in 5 years

20 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They have service books that detail the mileage wherever it was serviced.

the service book kept with the vehicle.... as if they have never been fiddled !!

You say that as though they have never been known to be correct.   They all require a dealer stamp and signature of the dealer and there are not many dealers that will put their name and reputation on a book for  cars that have not been serviced.

Everything can be fiddled but not everything is and all we're trying to do here is make positive suggestions on how the buyer can protect himself.  It is not the point of the thread to point out every negative that could happen simply to contradict useful suggestions.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

I have lived in Bangkok for 30 yrs. I bought my first new car after 3 yrs here, kept it for 10 yrs with very low Km about 90K+ on it. The next new car I kept for 14 yrs, had only 87 Km, but was having little thing going wrong, so I sold it. Looked great inside an out. My new car now is 3 yrs and only 8K Km, so just like new only replaced the windshield wipers blades last month. And by the way, from yr 3 till yr 18 drove to work 6 days a wk, cars drove outside BK only 6 times and the new one now never. 

Edited by Dickp

On 7/18/2021 at 10:32 AM, worgeordie said:

Check to pedals for wear , low milage should have nearly no wear,

higher clocked motors will have worn pedals, unless they have changed

them too, then there's always the service records, 

regards Worgeordie

That is a very good idea however Thais dont use the pedals seeing the brakes always fail......I read it in the news often.

• Haha 1

I have a 2013 Toyota Vigo, bought new off the showroom floor, now struggling to break through 36,000 kms.....we never go anywhere.  Brother in law bought his Isuzu p/up the year before me but I reckon he would not have done more than 25,000.   It sits in the driveway as a show of wealth.....very common in the villages especially when after the loan is paid each month there is nothing left for fuel.  Its a Thai thing.

On 7/18/2021 at 4:16 PM, Sakeopete said:

For a 2019 30k kms is normal but I was looking at a 2019 registered (2018 model) with less than 6k kms it just gets my spidey senses tingling.

You would need to see the sevice record. Hopefully the owner/dealer can produce it. for a 2018 there should be several services - if they stick to the proper schedule. If a 3-4 year old car has only had one or 2 services - avoid it. For very popular cars, it's just better to buy new if you can - 4-5 year old jazzes command a premium price. 

21 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

. I would not trust here any low mileage car without its stamped service book including dates and the mileage

I've owned a few cars here in Pattaya and never had a service book.

I'd say if you visited the dealer with the blue book you could ask for a print out of the service history for a small fee.