Thailand warns daily COVID-19 cases could hit 30,000 in worst case

snoop1130

UKrules: the average age in the UK is not 82.  A query just showed 3.2M people over the age of 80, which says 95% of the population is below 80.  In fact, 82% of the population is below 65.  The average life expectancy in the UK is currently 81.26 years. The median age in the UK is currently 40.5 years, (increasing by 0.5 years every 5 years.  
https://www.ageing-better.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-03/The-state-of-ageing.pdf

2 minutes ago, richthai said:

UKrules: the average age in the UK is not 82.  A query just showed 3.2M people over the age of 80, which says 95% of the population is below 80.  In fact, 82% of the population is below 65.  The average life expectancy in the UK is currently 81.26 years. The median age in the UK is currently 40.5 years, (increasing by 0.5 years every 5 years.  

Pretty sure he meant the average life expectancy.

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

How about projections for suicide and economic ruin of small business? Loss of jobs? That would be a better measure.

You mean give context to Covid data?!! Naw, bruh. Why would they do that when there's contextless case count numbers to blast! Case count numbers easy. Context hard. Fear easy. Nuance hard.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand could see daily infections of more than 30,000 if the public did not comply,

The public huh? Sounds more like they are saying "it's your fault I'm stupid" IMO, but hey... WHATEVER!

The UK could get to 60,000 daily cases in January with a similar population. Even now with vaccines, they are back to around 50000 a day even with 50%+ of the population vaccinated. So I don't see why 30,000 would be the maximum unless it's limited by the testing capacity...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SymS said:

The UK could get to 60,000 daily cases in January with a similar population. Even now with vaccines, they are back to around 50000 a day even with 50%+ of the population vaccinated. So I don't see why 30,000 would be the maximum unless it's limited by the testing capacity...

I agree that the limit to the upside could be even above 30k. And I have used the UK as a reference point when trying to guess what might happen in Thailand. 

I feel that the two may start to decouple over the next month or so though. The UK is totally open, whereas Thailand does have quite a few restrictions in place, and in some provinces quite stringent ones. So theoretically Thailand should start to undershoot the UK. By how much is anyone’s guess.

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

At the rate this virus is spreading, it is not the time to be assigning blame to anyone.  Let the officials who now know just how dangerous this pandemic has become do their jobs and get vaccines here for everyone.  

I disagree. At what point has the population prevented these people from ordering vaccines? All that I see is people screaming FOR vaccines. Why didn't these officials ensure we joined the covax scheme? Why did they take so long to approve vaccines already being used in the west? Why did they not do their jobs? Assigning pressure and blame will hopefully force them to pull their fingers out of (you know where) and turn into action. 

I fear though that it's too late as we are now seeing the consequences of their inaction earlier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Indeed they do, and the ages are as I said. Mostly 40-60. Certainly not "average age 80+".

The guy who said 80+ was just trolling. There have been a few posts from members with very low post counts doing the same thing recently. Almost as though co ordinated. But then, I’m paranoid 5555

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

daily infection rates could roughly treble to reach 30,000 under a worst-case scenario

Worst case scenario??? It almost certainly already is at or close to that level. Just look at Malaysia, 12,000 new cases a day with less than half of Thailand's population. On a simple pro rata basis, Thailand would already be knocking on the door of 30,000 daily cases. Sure, Islam in Malaysia and the need to gather in large groups for prayers helps to spread the virus, but Thailand has its youth-drinking culture which is probably even worse. The UK, with a similar population, experienced 60,000 cases a day under full lockdown in January, why should Thailand get off more easily, especially now that it's the delta rather than the alpha variant that's doing the damage? Sure, the official headline number might, in the worst case, reach 30,000 cases a day, but that would mean maybe 80,000+ cases in reality.

3 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I disagree. At what point has the population prevented these people from ordering vaccines? All that I see is people screaming FOR vaccines. Why didn't these officials ensure we joined the covax scheme? Why did they take so long to approve vaccines already being used in the west? Why did they not do their jobs? Assigning pressure and blame will hopefully force them to pull their fingers out of (you know where) and turn into action. 

I fear though that it's too late as we are now seeing the consequences of their inaction earlier. 

It is worse than this. Supply to private hospitals has been withheld clearly in order to generate more revenue per shot. Let's hope that the problem is finally being recognised and that the profiteering is stopped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"We have seen over 10,000 cases for many days and we want this to come down. But no one can do this alone and everyone has to help,"

Translation: "We really have no clue what we're doing, nor how to get control of the situation, so it's up to the people".

Anyone who thinks 30,000 is the possible worse case is delusional - the number is going to be much higher. The rise in cases is still exponential and is not abating.

The problem about lockdowns here, is that most Thais are now in financial-survival-mode after having no income for a long time.

Many will due to this have to ignore any rules, just to get food on the table. It’s for them a choice between starving or get infected. 

Lockdowns only work with financial government support, which is not going to happen here.

Thailands only way out of this, is to cancel their submarines purchases and buy vaccines fast. Until then we will see a lot more suffering amongst the general population.

• Like 1

Thailand warns daily COVID-19 cases could hit 30,000 in worst case. 

If the Govment done what they suppose to have done in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess .

They say could hit 30K ,if they keep going like they have been going than 50K is more likely if not more .

• Like 1

Posts denigrating and calling Chinese vaccines useless and referring to it with derogatory names have been removed.

Whilst it may be less effective in certain cases ie Delta strain it is by no means useless.

At the end of the day this is a government sponsored vaccine and the forum and or yourself can get in trouble for comments like this so stop it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

well let me tell you a little secret. thailand allready has more than 40K cases daily.

we do not know about it because testing is not being done widely as it should be.

today i was looking for a paid test so i can fly from phuket.

cheapest price i found was 3000 baht.

that is A LOT !!!

in other EU countries price is 20-30 EURO  oR FREE!!!

Another case of low forms of humanity, in this case here in Thailand, using a pandemic which is costing misery and death throughout the world, to make themselves rich.

You cannot expect the "there will be no coup" unelected PM and his cohorts to do anything about it for obvious reasons.

27 minutes ago, khunpa said:

is to cancel their submarines purchases and buy vaccines fast

well the sub' purchase has been cancelled for now ..... so if the vaccine purchase does infact happen as requested then Thailand might, just might start to see better results.

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

A lot of people on here will not agree with what I say because they have their heads in the sand and only want to bash the Thai Government. The facts are that the government in every country of the world is in a no win situation. If they do a strict lockdown they will have people commit suicide and businesses close and people be unemployed so no money come in and that will destroy the countries economy. If they don't do a strict lockdown then they will have this virus run riot and many people will die and then the businesses will lose customers and then there will be no income. Another fact is that none of the governments are spreading this virus, it is the people that ignore the rules and take the attitude that "it is my right" and " you can't tell me what to do, I will do what I want" that are spreading this virus. 

As is getting quoted all over this forum all the time, the Thai military government has handled the vaccines situation disgracefully, I'm sure the vast majority of Thaivisa members know why, so there is no need to go over the reasons why nowhere near enough people are getting vaccinated.

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

You do know this thread is about Thailand, don’t you?

Yes, it is about Thailand, but it is the same subject, it is just natural to mention the UK here as it has a similar population.

43 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well the sub' purchase has been cancelled for now ..... so if the vaccine purchase does infact happen as requested then Thailand might, just might start to see better results.

There was no order to cancel, just a proposal for inclusion in a forthcoming budget - - a vast difference between on order and proposed, wouldn't you agree?

in Europe positive cases surge as well BUT deaths are very low compared to previous peaks. For sure vaccinations and natural resistance from Covid positive are the probable reason behind this. Thailand should follow more close on the mortality figures which, in my opinion, are more important and reliable. Thailand may hit the 30.000 figure but at the same time it might be possible that the mortality figure stagnates or even goes down. In such case, I see no reason for more drastic/panic restrictions on freedom.

• Haha 1