New iPhone Must Enter Credit Card to Access App Store

Banana7

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Purchased a new iPhone 12 mini with iOS 14.5. Everything was great until I tried to download apps from the app store. I kept getting this message , " this apple id has not yet been used in the itunes store". Chatted with support and was basically told that I must enter my paypal or credit card numbers, and provide my street address, etc.. If I do not provide credit card, then no downloading free apps, or anything else.

Seems to me, Apple is collecting far too much data about their customers and trying to hook people into buying add-ons. 

Comments?

I don’t see any problem, if you have that much resistance then.

Use a card that is going to expire soon and don’t update it when it expires or find a site that generates fake unworkable credit card numbers. For the address details enter fake information. You will probably really really want to enter your own phone number and email address as fakes there will bite badly later. 

I have an Apple ID that is for the USA store, all the details are fake it allows me to download free USA only apps.

Apple is almost certainly well aware that this is possible and as long as it doesn’t cause problems they let go. Just don’t try credit card fraud.

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You cannot quote the OP. It doesn't need to be helpful to you as it's not your thread.

You can..... (select the text, then select quote).

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Purchased a new iPhone 12 mini with iOS 14.5. Everything was great until I tried to download apps from the app store. I kept getting this message , " this apple id has not yet been used in the itunes store". Chatted with support and was basically told that I must enter my paypal or credit card numbers, and provide my street address, etc.. If I do not provide credit card, then no downloading free apps, or anything else.

Seems to me, Apple is collecting far too much data about their customers and trying to hook people into buying add-ons. 

Comments?

Going to return the iPhone. Any recommendations for a small high performance android phone?

On 7/20/2021 at 9:17 AM, Banana7 said:

Purchased a new iPhone 12 mini with iOS 14.5.

OP quoted

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You cannot quote the OP. 

As proved above and in my reply you can quote the OP

and your comment

21 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I doubt this is the case:

Makes no sense as there is nothing referred to. It also follows my posting that offered a few alternatives, so makes even less sense.

It doesn't need to be helpful to you as it's not your thread.

Threads are often discussing the OP posting. Posts may not contain all the possible answers, however good you may think your knowledge to be it is not totally comprehensive. 

if you wish to only address the OP there is a system in place for that. If you can’t be bothered to quote the OP you can use the “@‘ mention to disambiguate your reply. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

OP quoted

As proved above and in my reply you can quote the OP

and your comment

Makes no sense as there is nothing referred to. It also follows my posting that offered a few alternatives, so makes even less sense.

Threads are often discussing the OP posting. Posts may not contain all the possible answers, however good you may think your knowledge to be it is not totally comprehensive. 

if you wish to only address the OP there is a system in place for that. If you can’t be bothered to quote the OP you can use the “@‘ mention to disambiguate your reply. 

I hope that you don't mind if I don't bother to read this. It's off-topic and my only interest is in helping the OP, rather than entering into an entirely pointless dialogue with you.

• Sad 2

On 7/20/2021 at 7:14 AM, richard_smith237 said:

There are ways around it.

https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-create-an-apple-id-without-credit-card/

But really, if you are that frightened about giving a legitimate business Credit Card info, which is protected, I wonder how you go about paying for Airline Tickets, Lazada orders, purchases in supermarkets...

What happens when a restaurant asks you to pay? Cash only ?? or card ? debit, credit ?

Ultimately you are protesting about something which is now an every day normal occurrence.

It’s not really a big issue... is it ????

It is a huge issue. I only provide my credit card (CC) details when I want to buy something. If I were to buy something from Apple or any other merchant, then I can understand them wanting the details in order to process the transaction, but not to retain the details. The point is, there are no foreseeable plans to purchase anything from Apple and therefore no financial transactions.

Sure, I buy airline tickets, but once the data is entered and the transaction is completed, the CC details are not retained by the airline. Some airline do give me the opportunity to retain the info on their system for my convenience should I want to purchase more tickets, but it is not mandatory. The CC company provides an authorization number, if the transaction is accepted, it then credits the merchant. Same for restaurants and merchants. I have never heard of restaurants, supermarkets retaining credit card details.

Lots of big retailers have been hacked and credit card info stolen, which caused massive problems for the card holders, police and the company retaining the info.

So the big question is why does Apple need my credit card info? It certainly is not to process a purchase or any financial transaction. Is it to track me somehow? Is it to comply with a FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978) warrant? Or some other reason?

Most companies only retain information in their computer systems that is of value to them.

• Like 2

Apple has been doing this for a long time. I don't normally use their products, but 10-12 years ago someone gave me an old iPod Nano and I decided to play around with it. Even to load my own music onto the thing, I had to give credit card details to establish an iTunes account. I haven't used any Apple device since then.

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

So the big question is why does Apple need my credit card info? It certainly is not to process a purchase or any financial transaction. Is it to track me somehow?

I’m sorry that you have jumped to an incorrect conclusion. Having a live credit/debit card linked to your AppleID is, absolutely definitely, to make future possible purchases as easy for you to make as they can.

Given that the overwhelming majority 99.99+% of users have payment information on file with Apple when you come across that $0.99 app or small value subscription you can be sure the ease of a couple of clicks to buy is going to make an enormous difference to the decision and consequently boosting apples overall profits. It’s virtually as easy to spend $0.5 as it is to spend $1,300, I know, I just did????

are they tracking you? Difficult to say as you don’t define what you mean by tracking. Within the Apple ecosystem? Yes. Outside the ecosystem? Possible but very unlikely as a primary focus of Apple sales is privacy. If they were Google, Facebook or Amazon the answer would be they are tracking you as far as possible. My opinion is Apple is tracking you as little as possible, given that tracking within, purchase or use of Apple provided products and services is needed.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

It is a huge issue. I only provide my credit card (CC) details when I want to buy something. If I were to buy something from Apple or any other merchant, then I can understand them wanting the details in order to process the transaction, but not to retain the details. The point is, there are no foreseeable plans to purchase anything from Apple and therefore no financial transactions.

Depending on your bank, certainly Kasikorn bank probably others, offer a virtual card specially for online use, you can limit the amount that can be spent. This would in your case avoid the need to involve your main CC details being used.

However there have been a number of ways offered to you to avoid using your main card, most if not all work. If you choose to not make use of them it’s your right, and IMNSHO your loss.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

TTFN

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Having a live credit/debit card linked to your AppleID is, absolutely definitely, to make future possible purchases as easy for you to make as they can.

I don't disagree with anything you said  however I agree with @Banana7 that it should be his choice whether to add his payment details for a potential purchase. If he does not want that "convenience" then any company, IMHO, should respect that.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:17 AM, Banana7 said:

Any recommendations for a small high performance android phone?

This is where you may struggle as most Androids seem to have gone supersize........

There is one Samsung that may fit the bill - (not now on these lists as I think 2019/20 model.

https://www.gsmarena.com/best_compact_phones_buyers_guide-review-2029.php

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-small-android-phone

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, richard_smith237 said:

But really, if you are that frightened about giving a legitimate business Credit Card info, which is protected, I wonder how you go about paying for Airline Tickets, Lazada orders, purchases in supermarkets...

What happens when a restaurant asks you to pay? Cash only ?? or card ? debit, credit ?

Ultimately you are protesting about something which is now an every day normal occurrence.

Please tell me your credit card number + pincode.

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder how you go about paying for Airline Tickets, Lazada orders, purchases in supermarkets...

Travel agency (cash) , P.O.D(cash) , cash...

That was silly wasn't it. Having battled with Apple for years over successive iphone and ipad devices I have at last persuaded my family that Apple is a honey trap and got them all converted to Android. They are all very happy with this life changing conversion and I don't have to worry about my youngest son's access to my credit card!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 12:35 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I don’t see any problem, if you have that much resistance then.

Use a card that is going to expire soon and don’t update it when it expires or find a site that generates fake unworkable credit card numbers. For the address details enter fake information. You will probably really really want to enter your own phone number and email address as fakes there will bite badly later. 

I have an Apple ID that is for the USA store, all the details are fake it allows me to download free USA only apps.

Apple is almost certainly well aware that this is possible and as long as it doesn’t cause problems they let go. Just don’t try credit card fraud.

You can also add your credit card information download the free apps you want then cancel your card details on iTunes 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, Banana7 said:

Sure, I buy airline tickets, but once the data is entered and the transaction is completed, the CC details are not retained by the airline. Some airline do give me the opportunity to retain the info on their system for my convenience should I want to purchase more tickets, but it is not mandatory. The CC company provides an authorization number, if the transaction is accepted, it then credits the merchant. Same for restaurants and merchants. I have never heard of restaurants, supermarkets retaining credit card details.

Lots of big retailers have been hacked and credit card info stolen, which caused massive problems for the card holders, police and the company retaining the info.

So the big question is why does Apple need my credit card info? It certainly is not to process a purchase or any financial transaction. Is it to track me somehow? Is it to comply with a FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978) warrant? Or some other reason?

Most companies only retain information in their computer systems that is of value to them.

I know on my BofA Visa account I can use a temporary credit card number for a specific transaction. I would think other cc companies offer the same.